Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby routines - advice needed for 7 week old HELP!!!

Please please help... i am at wits end!

mason is 7 weeks and i feel like i have no routine and no evening......... hubby is sleeping on sofa as mason is so hard to get off or ends up in with me and i want this to get sorted quickly as making things seem awful and like no end!!

i also have a 2 year old so it makes things harder to implement as have to deal with him and his bedtime etc...

mason is bottle fed and feeds seem o change depending on the night feeds etc...

reading some of your other posts has made me think what on earlth a i doing wrong???

please could you note down your routines if you have ones and when the naps are/how long for and where eg..swing/cot etc

also do your babies go off on there own in cots???

mason has to be alseep in my arms or in bed woith me then i move him...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi - just wanted to say you are not alone and I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong - Jasmine is 7 weeks and bottle fed and a nightmare to put down at night and no real routine. Jasmine has to be mostly asleep to go down in cot and even then needs dummy and a lot of time to get her off (and then she ususlly wakes up again). Can anyone give us advice ? S XX
  • Options
    sandygiz - im glad im not the only one - if you find anything that works please please let me know!!!

i wish i could chill a bit about it but i can't and i know that doesnt help!!!

xx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

First of all you are all doing an amazing job and to be honest I think alot of it is down to luck! You're not doing anything wrong! Finn is in a reasonably good routine so here's how our day goes:

8:30 am - Finn gets up, is top and tailed and dressed for the day

9:00 am Finn fed and then goes in his bouncy chair/play mat for about 45 mins

10am - goes down for a nap for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours

12 noon - fed again then goes on his playmat/bouncy chair or out for a walk

3pm - Fed again and stays up for about half an hour afterwards

4:00/ 4:30 ish naps untill about 6:00pm

6:30 - bath and PJs on - put in sleeping bag
    7:00pm - fed (in the bedroom, quiet, dim lighting etc) and then put down

9:30pm/10pm - up for nappy change (we use pampers stay dry during the night because they last the whole night without needing to be changed) and final feed in bedroom again

He will then sleep until anywhere from 5am - 7am (it varies) when he wakes up we feed him depending on what time it is - e.g a full feed if it's 5am but only half if it's 7am as he only has to last till 9am for his next feed.

Every nap is taken in his cot which is currently in our room but as we live in a flat this is effectivly the room next to our lounge which makes it a bit easier. We have a grow bag egg which is fab for monitoring the room temp and I will prob get lynched for saying this but once we started his bath and bed routine and put him down at 7:30 after his feed and nappy change he would moan a bit when we put him down but we didn't rush to him straight away as we knew he was fed, dry and the right temp - infact I honestly believe he has to have a little grizzle to get himself off to sleep. Unless he NEEDS to be picked up - e.g he's vomited or pooped himself, super stressed out etc we don't pick him up between 7:30pm and 9:30pm, we use the shh pat method so he knows we are there, I use a dummy dipped in gripe water, play white noise and swaddling as techniques to settle him off, but now he knows the routine he goes down fine any way. This way that period in the evening is freed up for hubby and I. He is bottle fed so feeding on demand for EBF babies I'm sure is totally different, and he is 9 weeks old so a few weeks older. I hope this helps a bit and I have to say Mummy C is right if you can try and put them down awake that is bound to pay dividends in the future....good luck!!
  • Options
    hi star

i'm the same, tyler is 8 weeks but has very bad wind. we have no routine as such although he has developed his own daytime one. the nights are a write off, one 'sleeps' downstairs with tyler whilst the other is in bed upstairs.
    last night i thought we had a breakthrough as i swaddled him, changed, bottle night show on and he settled himself in moses basket, unfortunately his wind pain woke him up an hour later and every subsequent hour after that.
    he will only sleep comfortably upright on us, or on his front next to me during the day as would dare not do this at night.
    sleep is a long distant memory, and every person whose baby sleeps properly makes me feel like a failure. i either have a defective baby or he has a defective mummy, the latter is more probable.

a very tired
    sarah+tyler(8 weeks)
  • Options
    Sarah your not a failure at all!! I'm so sorry that tyler is in so much pain with his colic - I'm sorry if I'm about to ask/suggest something that you have allready discussed (I've not been able to get on much) but have you taken him to the GP? Just incase it is something else like reflux? Is Tyler bottle fed? If so what formula do you use? I've heard really good things about Aptimil Comfort formula that's designed especially for colicy babies. Have you tried infacol/colief/gripe water? I really wish I could help hon and I know it's not much consolidation but every day he is a day closer to the magical 12 week mark! Does he have a bath before bed? That can help to relax muscles and let out some trumps! You said he likes sleeping on his front - would you feel comfy putting him down asleep on his side? Propped up by rolled up bankets? You are doing a fab job hon, you will crack it! Hang in there xxx
  • Options
    Sarah your not a failure at all!! I'm so sorry that tyler is in so much pain with his colic - I'm sorry if I'm about to ask/suggest something that you have allready discussed (I've not been able to get on much) but have you taken him to the GP? Just incase it is something else like reflux? Is Tyler bottle fed? If so what formula do you use? I've heard really good things about Aptimil Comfort formula that's designed especially for colicy babies. Have you tried infacol/colief/gripe water? I really wish I could help hon and I know it's not much consolidation but every day he is a day closer to the magical 12 week mark! Does he have a bath before bed? That can help to relax muscles and let out some trumps! You said he likes sleeping on his front - would you feel comfy putting him down asleep on his side? Propped up by rolled up bankets? You are doing a fab job hon, you will crack it! Hang in there xxx
  • Options
    Freddie is 10 weeks and we don't really have a routine either. He's breastfed although have come close to giving up loads of times as my diet is under permanent scrutiny from 'well meaning' family members .... 'is my milk too rich for him? is that what makes him poorly?" Everything is dictated to by his reflux .... if he's had a good day and some good naps (more than 20 minutes at a time) we generally have an OK night. Otherwise he's like Tyler - can only really get comfi on one of us. Sarah I know what you mean about feeling like a failure - especially as he's now 10 weeks and no closer to a routine/sleeping through the night than he was when we first came home!!

As he's fed pretty much on demand (or every 4 hours - which ever comes first) bath time changes time every night - our 'routine' if you can call it that is to do everything in the same order on an evening even if it isn't at the same time.

I'm pretty sure other mummy's of reflux babies are breastfeeding and have a routine but I'm afraid I'm not one of them - help!!

Sorry - that's no help at all Star but just wanted you to know you're not the only one struggling with routine

Welsh xx
  • Options
    Hi

Tyler is on cow and gate comfort as we changed from sma as we thought this would ease his wind. Will give the infant gaviscon a try and see how that goes. Star you are not alone, these special babies were sent for a reason (thats what my mum keeps telling me although my older brother didn't sleep until he was 3)

sarah
  • Options
    I have a loose routine with Brody (2 months today) which he sort of did himself and now I am enforcing it and trying to implement EASY (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You). Im bf all feeds except 1 to get him down at night. I feed him every 3-4hrs. Im loose with times throughout the day time as these can vary depending on what we are doing but try to ensure I get the order right and I try to ensure I feed him regularly - Im working on it!

SLEEP: He wakes at around 7/730am.
    EAT: Nappy change and feed.
    ACTIVITY: Burp, nappy change, chat, in our bed.
    SLEEP: I watch him tire then he goes to sleep in our bed with me (hubby goes to work and I move his lambswool in to our bed).
    We both snooze for up to an hour from 9/930am - 10/1030am.
    YOU: I wake and eat breakfast before he stirs. Also grab a shower.
    EAT: Another feed at 10/1030am.
    ACTIVITY: Burp, nappy change, get ready to go out in buggy or car. Otherwise chat, music, playmat or swing. Or chat on skype to gran.
    SLEEP: Sleep in buggy or car. Or if at home try to get him to sleep. he doesnt like sleeping in his cot during the day so i lay him on the sofa bed in the living room on his lambswool (always a constant prop for any sleep time).
    YOU: I grab some lunch.
    EAT: Lunch time feed time.
    ACTIVITY: Burp, nappy change, get ready to go out in buggy or car. Otherwise chat, music, playmat or swing.
    SLEEP: Sleep in buggy or car. Or if at home try to get him to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room on his lambswool. (Taking out for walk is much easier!!)
    YOU: washing etc if at home. Otherwise driving, walking or out e.g. having a coffee with friend.
    EAT: 3/4pm feed time.
    ACTIVITY: Burp, nappy change, get ready to go out in buggy for 30-60 mins. Otherwise chat, music, playmat or swing.
    SLEEP: Sleep in buggy. Or if at home try to get him to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room on his lambswool.
    YOU: Chores, BE. Whatever I can do!
    EAT: 5pm feed time. Feed, feed, feed...
    ACTIVITY: 6/630pm Burp, nappy change, bath, massage. Into grow bag and read a book in our room (where his cot is) with dim lighting.
    EAT: Formula fed 6oz.
    ACTIVITY: Burped and put down at 7/730pm.
    SLEEP: This is our problem part. Brody has reflux and bad wind problems so he usually wakes up with pain and we spend up to 2 hours burping and settling him again. Usually goes down by 9/930pm.
    YOU: I express for dream feed and get the house back in order for a new day. BE, facebook, emails, phone time!
    EAT: 1030/11pm dream feed (expressed milk in bottle).
    ACTIVITY: Burped.
    SLEEP: Put down and sleeps through until 7/730am.

xx
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Ill say again like others have said you are all doing a brilliant job.
    You've got to remember every baby is different!!
    My LO Alfie is in a good routine and has nearly been in the same routine since he was 5 weeks now 11 weeks old.....

7/7:30am - If he wakes or if not up by 7:30 i wake him.
    Change his nappy and take him into our bedroom.
    I BF first thing usually for about 20-25 minutes.
    Let him sit with me in the bedroom whilst my partner gets ready for work.
    8am - I top and tailed him and get him dressed.
    8:30/9am - I put him in his cot in his own room for 45mins/1hr.
    (i have breakfast and a quick shower...)
    10/10:30am - FF usually give 6oz
    11:30/12noon - wait untill he starts getting tired and put him down in his cot in his room for roughly 2 1/2hrs and then wake him.
    1:30/2pm - FF 6oz
    Put him in his bouncy chair or on his playmat, encourage him to have a play around.
    Between 4-5pm - I let him have a little nap/ sometimes take him out in his buggy.
    5pm - bath/massage and PJs
    6pm - Offer FF 6oz usually takes 4ozish
    7/8pm ish - he gets tired so i put him down in his cot in his room
    9pm- up for nappy changed and into sleeping bag.
    In his room with the light dimmed, Last feed I offer him 7oz expressed Breastmilk, let him have as much as he likes. Settled into his cot a he sleeps the hole night until 7/7:30ish.
    Then I go a express from both breasts ready for tomorrows night time feed.

When he gose down in his cot he is usally awake and does have a moan and grown but i let him for about ten minutes and then if he's to upset i may go and sit with him whilst he settles...
    I never give him his dummy in his cot...!!

Hope that helps!

Zoe and Alfie 11 weeks
  • Options
    thank you for all your replies - im glad im not alone!!

what do people think about the napping in day being in car/swing/pushchair??? mason is never down in cot/basket - this is mainly because i try and it doesnt work and then i get stressed........

also this evening thing i just cant seem to crack - last night he was awake at 5 had a bottle then was wide awake - had bath at 7 and then some bottle after then conked so thought wont sit holding him ill lay him in basket - he then slept for 40mins but woke up totally awake and that was it till at 10pm i took him up and fed him in bedroom in dark - he then lay there awake i tried laying him down but it didnt work so had hi in bed and then at some point i fell asleep and woke at 1.30 - and moved him into basket... he then woke at 3.15 for feed and again was wide awake after - finally got off but then at 5.30 he woke but sleepy and was crying out making noises trying to poo/fart and this went on for hour i had my hand on him and tried putting dummy in etc but by 6.30 brought him in bed and then he settled a bit but then at 7 wanted bottle!!!

i just wish i could crack getting him down after bath for evening so then i could feed at 10ish and then at least would have a bit of time to actually shower or maybe eat or even have a cuppa - hehehe all seems a thing of past!

he is currently sleeping in swing and i keep thinking im going to move him to basket but silly as it sounds dont dare as he will wake not re-settle and then will be awake and grumpy!

• Options
    Hi star11, I can sympathise with the evening routine bit - we are trying to get our LO to go down at 7ish till her 10pm feed so like you we get our evenings back and she gets used to is for when she hopefully (!) will sleep 7-7. Last night worked a treat but tonight we have been up to her about 5 times and she just will not settle.............it is hard. S XX
  • Options
    It is difficult to get a baby with colic into a routine. Olivia had colic and still has reflux but the colic has now eased and it has made a difference, All her problems happened during the day and she has always slept well at night but now we are in a great routine.

8-8.30am wake, change, dress and feed
    10-12pm nap
    12-12.30pm wake, change, dress and feed
    1-1.30pm nap
    1.30pm-3.30pm play and walk
    3.30pm-4.00 nap
    4.30pm-5pm change and feed
    5pm-6pm play
    6pm-7pm nap
    7.30pm-8pm play
    8pm-8.30pm bath, pyjamas
    8.30-9pm grow bag and feed
    9.30pm bed

I think its fine to let them nap in their swing/bouncer. Olivia will nap in her swing and then she might nap her in bassonette and she will sometimes nap in her gym
  • Options
    i think for reading everyones routines i really need to perhaps stay in for a week and see if i can get something semi established - even though i know it will change alot but just feel like im all over the place!

• Options
    Hi all,
    Quick question for those in routines.......I notice that only some of you put your LO's to bed at 7pm ish - some waiting till 9-10pm. What are your thoughts on getting into the 7pm bed routine so that you get your evenings back and good training for when older ?? We have started doing this and sometimes she will go down till 10pm when I wake her sometimes we battle until 9pm and then she only gets an hour before I wake her for last feed! S X Jasmine 8 wks
  • Options
    sandygiz - well we want to be bathing at 7pm then bottle bed as thats what my 2 year old does and the longer this being awake in evening goes on for is just being a nightmare as 2 year old gets sent to bed and were with baby - he wont stand for that soon!!!

also so want a bit of evening as just shattered running around after toddler then coping with baby - the prob is even if i did get him off then he wakes and that bugs me more as i just sit down with cuppa finally and he is up.........arrgghhh!

i'm not sure if perhaps im going wrong with naps and not being harsh enough to get him off...

keep thinking when should i try get him napping so he sleeps well eve and night but it doesnt seem to work and also can't get him napping at set times - just now been trying for hour to get him off in basket and he drifts off with dummy but wakes 2 mins later - he then winged on me for ages and i knew was tired so put him in swing, even then he cried etc and finally drifted off for little nap...........

such hard work!!!

• Options
    Hi, we have a 2 year 2 month old and a 7 week old baby. We followed 2 books-The contented baby by Gina Ford and The baby whisperer by Tracy Hogg. The Ford book gives good examples of routines that babies of different weepy ages suld be able to follow and also gives you problems with solutions-that really do work!The Hogg book teaches you to really understand your baby and flow a more relaxed yet predictable routine-that also works! We are using these books again as our 2 year old was so successful on them. Our bedtime routine is both in bed for 7-7:30. The key is consistency. I swear by them. Good luck!
  • Options

james is 7 weeks old thursday and this past week hes been up every hour and driving my other half crazy due to he has to work but i put him to bed by 11pm he dose not have a rutine he eats alot so he eats when he wants but most the time at night from 7till 11 he is wide awake then off to bed and awakes up as soon as i put him down my friends kid sleep 6 hours and im like what the hell am i doing wrong is it just a stage or is this going to happen for a while i honestly have to sleep with him half threw the night cause he keep waking up every hour but when he sleeps with me i get a good 3-2 hours i dont fully know if its cause we have no routine but hes awake from 6-7 till bed so i dont see why he wont sleep any ideas first child and all he like is to eat and be fussy when it comes to bed time

• Options

Babies are animals and rely on instinct, so they cry when they're not with their mums. this is natural and is why most people around the world, not in the Western world, co-sleep and have beautifully peaceful nights. The recommendation not to co-sleep is based on faulty research and is really only a danger when the parents have been drinking or smoking, otherwise it is much safer than putting baby in a cot away from the parental bed. It makes so much more sense for mum and baby to be together - it is the way nature intended. It helps babies regulate their temperatures and breathing (preventing cot death from apnoea), is much easier for breastfeeding mothers (you hardly need to wake up to feed) and keeps everyone happier through getting a normal night's sleep! Why would you want to remove your baby from the comfort of you at night when it's dark and baby can't be reassured by sight?

If you're interested I suggest you read Three In A Bed  - a great book!