Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

sleep deprivation

anyone else suffering, or has everyone got babies that sleep at night ???

sarah

Replies

• Options
    God yes I am suffering - last night was horrendous - she must have slept for about 1 hour after taking 2 hours to settle her after each feed - feel awful today don;t know how I'm functioning. What's the issue with your LO - mine i think is Colic but not sure..... S X
  • Options
    We do have Olivia sleeping most nights but she has had some problems sleeping these last few nights, she is getting a cold and crying and screaming in her sleep so I end up sitting up and watching her all night. I have to admit the first few weeks I dont know how I did it, I was so tired but as she got a bit older and started settling into a bedtime routine it did get so much easier.
  • Options
    Me too!

Freddie has reflux so no such thing as a quick feed. Even if he falls asleep while feeding (I'm BF) which is rare I can't leave him sleeping as 10 minutes later he wakes up with awful tummy ache. So after each feed we then have to spend ages trying to get his wind up. This is something OH was doing but he's back at work and on shift so he's sleeping in the spare room to try and get some sleep and so it's just me and Freddie and I couldn't get his wind up last night. He fell asleep while I was trying and this resulted in him grunting and growling most of the night.

After his 7 o clock feed he winded well and went down at 8 til 10 but then I was just watching him as he was so quiet I was panicking.

Can''t win! Don't sleep if he's noisy and can't sleep if he's quiet.

And just to top it off I'm full of cold and hoping that Freddie doesn't catch it

Here's hoping we all get a little bit more sleep tonight

Welsh x
  • Options
    Zach sleeps in bed with us most of the night. Get about 2 hours without him. Some nights (like last) he wakes around four and takes ages to settle. Won't feed but just not happy. Also trying to keep him quiet for hubby and lo's sake. Been keeping him awake all day today so hopefully he'll not want to be awake at 4 this time. I can cope with feeding every two hours but not being awake at that ungodly hour image x

I'm full of cold too welshka! Not going away, think I need a good sleep to recover but thats not going to happen x
  • Options
    sounds like there is quite a few of us suffering. Tyler has wind and just basically doesn't like his moses basket, he prefers to sleep on us or on the cushions on the settee. so one of us sleeps downstairs with him and the other upstairs in bed. OH is back in work now though so its me on permanent nights !!

sarah
  • Options
    Hi, were new to this but by the looks of it, going thru the same as evryone else. my LO is very good, feeding every 4 hours, bottle feeding, and he sleeps well when he goes down but he seems to have day/night mixed up.

We have a period of time during the day, after mid morning feed about 11/12 when he is v awake and playing but then after next feed he sleeps pretty much for 8-9 hours waking for bottle then back to sleep. this then results in him being awake for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night!

Evab1 - how do you keep your LO awake, we have tried but he just falls alseep on us?

We also think he hates his moses basket and are now thinking of putting him in his cot.

Anyone with any suggestions, we would both be grateful, as like most of u, OH is at work so i'm doing most the nights!

• Options
    Im not so much suffering sleep deprivation, just exhaustion from crying a lot and being stressed with Brody's reflux and/or colic pains. I was never a big sleeper though. But I guess Im grateful that I do usually get a 5-7hr sleep from midnight or 1am. Then we wake to feed and he goes back down for about 2hrs more so I sleep then too. Dont get a chance to rest any time in day though as he is too unsettled until the late afternoon sleep when I finally get him down for a few hours and then its evening which is when I get to catch up doing everything I need to do!

My mum and mw both said that keeping a baby up during the day wont make them sleep at night and it may actually have the adverse effect by making them overtired and irritable, making it even harder to settle them. So not sure if that will work for you girls ... but every baby is different and desperate times call for desperate measures and the need to try doing everything you can so I understand you trying it out. I never did in the end as he now sleeps ok-ish through the night when he finally goes down (midnight/1am).

xx
  • Options
    Dylans not a bad sleeper, wakes for a 4am feed and then (usually) goes back down. Ive found that fresh air especially in the afternoon works wonders for him.

Its just a suggestion and I can understand when your exhausted the last thing you want to do is venture out and as sim said every baby is different but I try and take Dylan out as much as possible even if his pram is an instant sleep inducer the fresh air helps him to learn its day time, I think.

I hope you all get some sleep soon

Em and Dylan 22 days
  • Options
    1950s style of "Bringing up Baby" (if you saw it on Channel 4 a few years ago) is to have some outdoor time. They would actually just take the buggy out the back door and leave it there with baby for a bit (half our if I remember correctly). Seemed to do wonders and it's one of the methods that my hubby does cos he believed in it so much! So same as going for a walk really, but when Brody is unsettled, hubby just takes him out the back door for a few mins of fresh air and he calms down.

xx
  • Options
    Thanks sim75 and dylansmummy, just reading your posts made me think your on to something. the days we haven't been out for a walk are the nights which have been bad, will keep that in mind!

Hopefully will have a better night tonight, and hope everyone else does too.:\)
  • Options
    How was your night ladies? Hope you got some sleep?

Its too slippy for me to go out alone, and were going to a carol service in our local park tonight the 4 of us so im thinking of doing what Sim suggests togging him up nice and warm in his pram putting him on the decking and playing in the snow with our dog. Keeps both my boys happy then image
  • Options
    Talk about slippy! Nearly went bum up on our deck this morning :x Luckily wasnt carrying Brody!
    Hope you all got some outdoor time today. I did and it did us wonders too. Much better day in London today to be out though, yesterday was horrendous and I had to walk to the gp and pharmacy with the buggy in sleet! Dont know how you northern girls cope where its much colder. Brrrr..

xx