Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby led weaning...

Hi

I've decided we are going to give BLW a go as tyler loves exploring things with his hands. So i've been out this morning and bought carrots, strawberries, melon, baby sweetcorn and brocoli. Now how do i start ? I've roasted some sticks of carrot for him to try when he wakes but i have no clue what to do..

Help !!!

Replies

• Options
    trust him! He will most probably suck gag choke spit out the first few times and you have to pretend you are not fussed whilst he is gagging - but it is so true what they say - their gag reflex is m uch further forward and they will either chew gag spit out or chew gag chew swallow. It really is amazing watching Toby cope with it though i am not sure how much actually goes in -

any way - one thing at a time on his tray - i also still use baby food (jared i am ashamed to admit!) and he nas the 10 month plus so it is lumpy - but i pre load the spoon and give it to him - there are some brilliant threads on baby - i will bump when i get a chance x
  • Options
    thats interesting - hv keeps sayinbg to do that with mason but i know sounds awful but i want him full (in the hope will sleep) and i just think he would get hardly anythng in him - saying that my first didnt eat purres etc so really hardly ate anything then about 7/8 months went straight on to proper hand help food even sausages so im trying not to stress....

good luck let us know how you get on|!

also summer76 like the fact having jars aswell so you know he is getting full!

• Options
    its a good mix star - but i dont force - i pre load the spoon and hand it too him. This morning was amazing he had toast with jam well about 2 bites - crumpet - sucked on it - porridge and yoghurt - i have yoghurt in my walls at the moment but it is such good fun i love meantimes x
  • Options
    well so far he's tried banana, melon, strawberry, toast, brocoli. hasn't eaten any of it, just plays with it. i think he likes the melon as its straight from the fridge and is cool on his gums... trying baby sweetcorn and carrot today.
  • Options
    that sounds brilliant Lillykit - its exactly what it is supposed to be about exploring and having fun - i have to hand toby a few things but gereally he picks them up himself - you are more adventurous than me though i tend to stick to things we have in the house though when we went to a buffet round a friend shouse he tried abit of everything.

After 4 weeks e is starting to chew and swallow so it does take time - just remember to check the roof of their mouth that there isnt anything stuck - i think toby was saving his bagel for a midnight feast but fortuantley found it!
  • Options
    Dont know about adventurous, i love melon and strawberries so i have his left overs ! He had melon again today, i'm terrified and so is hubs about him choking, he had abit of a choke yesterday and i had to tap his back and he was then sick. He still has puree though, so has porridge for breakfast and had sweet potatoe and carrot from a jar for lunch.

sarah
  • Options
    toby gags all the time - i have to pretend everything is ok and smile and just say to him come on tobes sort this one out. They are amazing little things and i have to trust him to sort himself out (to a degree of course) the pattern is take in food , chew, gag, spit out or sick or rechew and swallow - it is amazing to watch but it is absolutely right and toby does this really well. I was pleased that he did sick up the fish pie today as i think i might have joined him it was gross!
  • Options
    Summer you sound so calm around this whole gagging & being sick thing.

I would love to try Sophie with BLW but after she choked on my mashed potato last week & puked I cried for half an hour coz I felt so guilty that she had done it! I am a proper wreck I dont know if I could cope with BLW!! Suppose I'll have to get my hard hat on & try!

Nici xxx