Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is any one else trying to leave weaning for a bit longer yet

There are lots of posts at the moment about weaning and I am starting to feel like the only person waiting for a bit longer to start weaning there lo. My lo is 20 weeks and she is happy and nosey so she is waking a bit sooner but I'm still feeding her and she won't feed if there's too much going on. This is in no way a criticism of any one who has already weaned.

Replies

• Options
    We're trying to leave it a bit longer, our LO will be 20 weeks this friday. I want to try and get to 6 months if possible, as I have asthma, eczema, hayfever and food allergies I've been told its best to wait for as long as possible for babs digestive system to be totally ok.
  • Options
    Yes I am trying to wait. My LO is ebf and still feeds very well- she wakes 1-2 a night for food. I plan to wait until 6 months. I am really excited to start weaning and have bought all the equipment but just feel that I may as well wait if she is content on milk and enjoy last few weeks of exclusive nursing image
  • Options
    We are waiting too. I have no intention of starting my lo on solids until 6 months. She is mostly bf with a bit of formula as a top up. I love bf her and she is happy and making really good progress.
    I intend to enjoy the rest of this time and am in no hurry to rush through stages.
    I know some people have already started and all power to them, i just have no need to yet.

MJx
  • Options
    toby is 20 weeks and it was difficult waiting till 17 weeks - i spoke to hv and she agreed that he needed solids - but would def have waited if this was not the case - so def wait as long as you can x
  • Options
    I'm not weaning yet for the same reasons as TetburyChick. I'm also waiting until lo can sit up unaided as a bit more of a sign that he's headed towards the next stage. He's happy bfing at the mo, though he's very interested in watching us eating. He's starting to move his mouth as he watches! My dad is keen for me to wean him, but my mum is on my side! Haven't asked my hv because I don't really trust her. I'm aiming to start weaning in mid May when he'll be 6 months.
  • Options
    i completely understand what you are saying M & M Pumps but i think until you have a baby that desperately needs weaning then its difficult to understand. TOby would eat 12oz plus in one feed which is not good for their tummies there are also lots of other signs that indicate the need for weaning - but he was really unhappy - we started baby rice once a day for a week then moved onto a secnd meal - of veg and he is a transformed little boy again. Very happy and loves his food. I do beleive that you should wait for the signs and then wait another week or two to make sure it isnt a growth spurt but toby really could have started weeks earlier so waiting till we did was enough for him.

Its not a case of personal opinion really - its a cse of listening to your babies needs
  • Options
    I staved off weaning until 22 weeks but was told to wean early by HV and GP as Reuben was premmie and they often need the extra nurtition to catch up. I have taken things VERY VERY slowly but really the caution about not weaning too early is about allergies and my HV told me that baby rice, fruit and veg were safe before then. I am not going to do any gluten, meat or dairy for a while yet. The problem I found with just feeding milk more often was that if Reuben took it he had a very bloated tummy and was piling on disproportionate weight. I hyave to say that getting more sleep is amazing ... not a reason to wean but a definite bonus. just thought I'd say more frequent feeding will not always solve the issue . Hope you do manage to hold on, but please don't kick yourself if not ... you can just take it v slow with baby rice foe 3 weeks.

good luck. sorryfor errors, typing one handed!!
  • Options
    We are waiting as well. Jake is 19 weeks and a stocky baby! but does not need solids. I am in no rush to start weaning, milk feeds is much easier! I am hoping to hold off until 6 months. I am sure he will love food as my 2 year old dd does as he constantly watches us when we eat but i don't feel he is ready yet x
  • Options
    I agree if you can wait until the 6 months go for it. We had to wean Olivia her reflux is too bad and the hv and gp would only give me gavsicon so she was still throwing her milk up after every feed and between feeds so we found by feeding her solids that it stays down and she still gets her bottle which promptly comes up after every feed! If Olivia didnt have reflux I would def hold off.
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for your comments. I know that some of you have needed to wean already for a variety of reasons and it is good to hear your experience and also to hear from those who are waiting.
  • Options
    We're trying to wait, but Jen seemed v interested in our food and showed other signs of needing to wean. we tried a little lick of banana but she wasnt interested, so we'll just keep bfing and wait a bit longer. I always thought id wean between 5-6m.

Em + Jen 21 wks
  • Options
    I really wanted to wait till 6 months but with amber being such a big baby i was finding she needed lots of extra hungry milk so we held off as long as could and now were only giving baby rice now we know she likes ti up until 6 months. We have some rusks but im not sure about giving them with the sugar they contain we only bought them thinking she dint like baby rice.
    If you can wait and your baby is happy then great - i wish we could hold off - im going to miss the nursing but in ambers case its not the best thing for her

Xx
  • Options
    We're waiting and just want to say that Zach is a big baby and surviving on breast milk thus far.Will wait til 6 months as there is no need before hand. Like Mr & Mrs P I just feed more often when a growth spurt occurs x
  • Options
    glad you are able to wait - its not always a matter of a growth spurt - as i said before we al do the best we can for our babies - so the decision we make really shouldnt be questioned too much by others as every baby is different.

I have so much doubt in every thing i do wondering whether it is the best thing for toby - he trusts me 100% so my choices are so important - so think that maybe we should stick with supporting each other and not questioning (i have enough of that from my mother).

Toby tried sweet potato today and loved it - oh - and i weaned on the advice from my hv as well

• Options
    wish I'd not read this, have enough mummy guilt on a daily basis ...

we started at 18 weeks after talking it through with 2 health visitors and a nurse, even seeing how much Freddie enjoys his food I still question daily whether we made the right decision to wean early, I wish my (.)(.)'s had been enough for him but his growth had slowed and we decided to go with food rather than formula

Welsh :\(
  • Options
    EVERYONE STOP THE MUMMY GUILT - no more allowed, by order of meimage

Babies need food, right? I'm willing to bet that a lot of us were weaned by the time we were 3 months. My mum was weaned at 10 days... something to do with a faulty valve in her stomach so my grandma had to put her on this gruel-like stuff. Eeeooo!

I was reading the Birth to Five book I got given, and it's so scary - it goes on and on about what the guidelines are as to weaning without actually telling you how to go about weaning... it's mad! No wonder everyone feels guilty! You're damned if you do, damned if you don't, etc. etc.

No one can say what's right or wrong, we all do the best for our own babies. rfran just needed a bit of reassurance that she's not the only one, and every day I think it's mean that I'm eating food right in front of Jak and he can't - but he's not ready yet. Doesn't mean he's behind or in front or anything, just means he's him and afterall, we're all bringing up little individuals!

So no more guilt, Freddie looks fab covered in sweet potato, and Toby is thriving, that much is plain to see. These babies won't all end up eating the same food, some of them will hate broccoli, some will hate honey, some are going to refuse to eat anything but their favourite meal for a week. We just don't know because they're all so different. Let's face it, not one of us blindly follows advice, as a lot of it changes so regularly you can't do right for doing wrong sometimes. If all our babies go to bed with full tummies, happy and healthy, we're doing it right!

Em x x x
  • Options
    Em - you just made me cry (in a good way) thanks hun xxx
  • Options
    Sorry if this has made people feel guilty it really wasn't my intention I was just feeling a bit lonely cause non of the mums I know in person have managed to wait as long as I have and I was just feeling lonely.

Sorry
  • Options
    Don't be sorry!!! No sorry or guilt allowed!!!!!!! image

The intent of your post was absolutely clear honey, and I know exactly where you were coming from because lots of people are talking about weaning. Don't worry!!!

I know what you mean about mums you know in person, I don't know any really, only a couple, and both of them ff their babies so if I've ever got a bfing question I either ask on here or ask my mum. Don't be lonely! Email if you fancy it, I usually check them every day if I can x x x
  • Options
    dont be feeling sorry hun we know you didnt do it xxxx

Guidelines are just that guidelines, and it is true I know everyone in my family were weaned at 12 weeks, some babies do need the food just a bit earlier so whether you choose to wean early or not you should never feel guilty or question why you did you are doing the right thing for your baby, always remember that!!
    I read such a silly thing the other day that said you should not wean before 6 months but if you wean any later than 6 months exactly that you will have trouble weaning, so if you go by that rule you have the window of what one day to wean your baby :lol: