Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleep!!

Will I ever sleep again?
Oliver is 5 weeks today and I am bf'ing, and he has fed every hour and half for the last 5 weeks. I am knackered!!!
I am seriously considering giving him a bottle of formula in the evening to see if he sleeps a little longer, is that really selfish of me?
Oliver is putting on weight well, is contented and alert when he is awake. I asked HV for advice but she said to just persevere with bf'ing but I am not sure how long I can do this before I crack up from lack of sleep.
I dont expect him to sleep through the night but a 4 hour block sounds like heaven!
YC x

Replies

• Options
    Have you tried expressing? My mw said that as I've been bf-ing for over 2 weeks she says it's been established so expressing and therefore feeding by bottle shouldn't be a problem. It might give you a break if someone else could feed him.

You must be completely shattered and you need to look after yourself too. Xx
  • Options
    Give him a bottle of expressed breastmilk before bedtime and he might sleep longer. Imogen refuses a bottle so I am up every 2 hrs and she is 4 weeks. It does suck and I get very narky but I am determined not to touch formula.
    Your breastmilk should be well established by this stage, have you got a pump?
    I can express 3-4 o off a breast 3-4 times a day :O so this is more than enough, but unfortunately Imogen won't play ball and is obsessed with my boobs. Bummer.

Eventually he will go longer between feeds, he's still tiny and his stomach is so small and breastmilk gets digested far quicker than formula so he needs it more often, just remember that when he wakes and how wonderful your milk is for him.

Also.. Imogen goes much longer in the daytime.. how long is he feeding for? Are you offering 2nd breast so he takes in more and therefore can sleep for longer? I time my feeds so I can gestimate how long it will be before Imogen needs her next feed, some days its half hour and some days its 4 hrs... just depends how long she goes for.

Sorry this is long and probs not helpful. But I do feel your pain love I really do. Breastfeeding is tough but its so worth it xxx
  • Options
    Agree completely with Puddle Duck 77 regarding expressing - they say that if you introduce a bottle around 5-6 weeks that it doesn't confuse them too much - and any later they might not take to it.

I tried a hand pump last time to express and it took an age so have an electric one to use this time - am hoping it'll be easier.

Also get OH to give the 1st bottle as if you do it LO will smell your milk and get confused - worked for us last time.
    Liz x
  • Options
    Honestly.. if I were you I'd give formula last thing before you go to bed. Formula takes longer to digest so they will stay full for longer.

I had to combi feed my son as I didn't have enough milk (from 2 1/2 weeks) and we gave formula last feed at night and he used to sleep through till about 6-7am from 6 weeks old (wish he would now..stupid allergies) so we always planned to introduce a bottle for Tegan at some point.. unfortunately milk supply isn't great again so we ended up giving formula at 1 week old. Both my kids have/had no problems switching between bottle/boob and formula/ebm in bottles. My doctor actually said she thinks its better to give a bottle earlier as they will usually take it better at an earlier age, and that its often better to do so to take a bit of the pressure off the mum (she thinks theres too much pressure to bf and thats why so many give up.. I almost fell over in shock when she actually said that..didn't think the health professionals were allowed to do that)

Sleep deprivation is dreadful (we have had awful problems with my sons sleeping) - and it won't do you any good if you are tired all thet ime.. i think the only thing that has kept us sane when my son was particularly bad was the odd weekend off to catch up on sleep while my parents have him. Expressing is also hard work and boring and I was expressing to help build up my supply but have ditched doing it as I can't deal with that and look after 2 kids and bf Tegan.

Its not selfish of you to want some sleep ... you can look after lo better if you are more awake (and you need rest to help with milk supply) - and a couple of oz of formula at night won't hurt. Tegan normally only wakes a couple of times at night.. and my milk hasn't been affected by it - she feeds on me all evening and then has a bottle and I always have more milk overnight (hv says she thinks more milk overnight is a throwback from when humans lived in caves and would feed their babies all night lol) - in fact last night she only woke once (slept from 10 - 3 i think it was and then woke again about 7.30) .. just a shame my son woke 3 times!

I find that knowing I can give Tegan a bottle if she's drained me dry (she does this.. hungry girl!!) takes the pressure off a bit, plus hubby likes to feed her - its good bonding time for them I think.

hope you get some sleep soon.. and hope this makes sense.. typed in instalments around troughing girl!
  • Options
    It is not selfish of you at all, if you can't function you are no good to her at all. I would try expressing though. She will need less of your milk than she will of formula, we are syringe feeding Iz top up after every feed at the moment, she is not old enough to combi bottle and breast yet, it takes forever but we have been told either 40 ml formula or 20 mil of EBM. I do as much EBM as I can but we do have formula in the cupboard for emergency use, I would rather she fed than didn't have anything because I couldn't express it. Of all the things I never realised the feeding could be this exhausting! xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies ladies. I expressed last week and DH gave him 3oz of ebm in the evening but the little milk monster guzzled that then wanted more!!! so I ended up feeding him anyway.
    I am trying to persevere at the moment but have a few cartons of formula in the kitchen for if it does get too much.
    xx