Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Tummy exercises

I was told that sit ups could make my stomach worse, as the two muscles have divided to let the uterus through and sit ups could push them farther apart, rather than bring them back together.

Has anybody been advised on what exercises should be done to restore tummies to pre-pregnancy states?!

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    crikey not thought. I just am walking and lifting the baby as pretend weights.

I dont know about muscles or anything... not sure if mine are ok, will find out if I am safe to exercise properly tomorrow at my 6 week check.
    xx
  • Options
    Gosh starting to worry now with people mentioning exercise and even two people saying they can't wait to go "running" feeling a bit inadequate with my gentle exercise philosophy and my only real thoughts for the next 4weeks been on babies and all the scrummy food that comes with christmas lol!!! Nothing is further from my mind. Saying that i do love yoga and palates so will be back to that in a few weeks along with Casper for mum and baby yoga that starts in the new year. However, high impact exercise is just not for me. You do have to be careful after the birth as the muscles of the stomach are unstable and its easy to cause permanant damage which is why yoga and palates are so good plus great for the pelvic floor too.
    Jo xxx
  • Options
    oh dear i started to do sit ups 2 weeks after birth and it helped my tummy. I have become a bit lacks now 6 weeks after lol xx
  • Options
    Does this help?

Do I need to be careful of my abdominal muscles?
    Most women develop a gap in their abdominal muscles as their belly expands during pregnancy and labor. It takes approximately four to eight weeks after giving birth for this gap to close.

If you start doing abdominal exercises before the gap closes, you risk injuring those muscles ???????? so make sure your belly is ready before you start:

??????????? Lie flat on your back with your knees bent.

??????????? Place the fingers of your left hand, palm facing you, just above your belly button. Place your right hand on your upper thigh.

??????????? Inhale, then exhale. As you exhale, lift your head and shoulders off the floor and slide your right hand up your thigh toward your knee. This will make your abdominal muscles tighten, and you should be able to feel the gap where the muscles have separated.

If the gap is three or more finger widths, you can gently begin to strengthen your abdominal muscles with pelvic tilts and leg slides. Once the gap narrows to only one or two finger widths, you can start doing crunches or sit-ups.

My MW has said it's good to be pulling in my abs when lifting (car seat etc) so static abdominal exercises beat in this early stage, as opposed to active ones.

I'm very excited to exercise again but not because I'm a psycho, it's just that sport is a massive part of my life (and has been since I was 4 y/o) and when I'm preggers, I really miss the adrenaline rush of it all! Definitely agree with Jo though that 'easy does it' is best approach in these early days, to avoid injury & allow for full post-partum recovery. It took me a year to get back in shape after Juliet because I didn't want to diet & I enjoyed great food the whole time! I did it though and taking same philosophy this time. Getting back to pre-preg shape & weight is a marathon, not a sprint, if you don't want to be hungry and miserable, that is!!

I'll stop rambling now. I'm very passionate about healthy exercising though so can't resist these types of threads!
  • Options
    just checked mines bout a fingers width if that so must have been ok xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Lizzie thats great!