Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How often has your baby been seen by a HV/MW since out hosp?

Our baby was born on 21st Oct we were discharged on 24th Oct it was a Sunday. On Tuesday our Health nurse came to teh house, asked all the questions about weight, feeding, birth etc. weighed him & left. I have not seen nor heard from her since. Here Pregnancy is combination led by your GP & Consultants at the hospital you will give birth in. At 2 weeks old they are checked by GP & again @ 6 weeks but thats all. Im sure all our others were checked & weighed more often than once by the HV I remember her visiting much more than once!

4fab.x

Replies

• Options
    Our baby was born 15th Nov, and we were discharged 19th Nov. We also had 'shared care' by GP and Hosp.
    The MW visited on day 5, 7 and 11. Then the HV came on day 12. The midwife checked me BP/stitches etc and also babies weight/how he Is feeding etc. HV- gave the red book, talked about contraception, feeding, immunisations, his jaundice etc..... The HV is coming again on weds- I'm rather suprised that's all the visits u have had....x
  • Options
    every 7 days for me, every tuesday usually.

I am very impressed, I can also go to the baby clinic round the corner if I want anything extra.

Imogen, 5 weeks xx
  • Options
    I had Oscar on the sat 20th was out on Sunday 21st had MW come over on the Monday then again on the Wednesday and then Friday I have her coming on Tuesday also. Then the HV starts her visits...
    I also can walk into the baby clinic anyday (its about 5mins away)

Gems and Mr O 9days x

• Options
    Too bloody often lol! Lets see.. Tegan was born on 30 Oct, we escaped hospital on the 31st so first mw visit was 1 November. Between 1 Nov and 18 Nov when they finally discharged us we had at least 5 visits as she didn't gain weight straight away after her initial loss.. and then they just kept coming...wouldn't mind but the waiting in all day is a pain int he arse and they wouldn't have even noticed the lack of weight gain if I hadn't said I'd like them to make 1 more visit.
    The hv..she just keeps bloody coming too! She came when Tegan was about 10 or 11 days, thought she was coming to do the hearing test but nope.. she just came round, gave me a bunch of leaflets and came back 2 days later for the hearing test. she came again last week as hubby had gone back to work and she's coming again tomorrow - not sure why. She's never weighed Tegan, and I'm not going to get hung up on her weight gain being slow so only plan on going to the clinic every 3-4 weeks (bf-ing counciller woman said they only advise monthly weigh ins apparently). I'm going to ask her if its normal to keep coming round cause the hv with my son came round once and htat was it..she was crap though so I didn't really want her anywhere near!

Also had the bf-ing counciller round but that was my request.

I just wish that they'd all stop asking me constantly about contraception, and they'd all get on the same page and give me the same consistant information rather than everyone tell me something different!
  • Options
    god im shocked!! i kinda thought 1 visit wasnt really enough but did not realise you got that much attention over there! I know if i wanted to i could bring him to the healthcentre but its not a walk in clinic i'd have to ring & get an appointment first. She never even asked how my c-section scar was never mind have a look & check it out!! Thank god my GP is as nice, approachable & good as she is!!

4fab.x
  • Options
    I had Jacob on the 18th came home on the 20th MW came on the 21st, 24th and on 28th when I was discharged. HV was meant to come today but was snowed in so she's coming on Monday instead. I can go to baby clinic once a week near us if I want to see them or I can ring between 9-10 or 4-5 everyday to speak to someone. xx
  • Options
    It is very bad in a part of London where we live.Midwife came to us first day after we were discharged and that was it.She then told me to bring the baby to see her at the hospital 3 days later,as she cannot weigh them at home.This is half an hour walk up the hill with no direct bus connection from our place,so quite hard if u for example had a section or episiotomy or simply dont drive.She told me a health visitor would make a contact,we are now on day 14 with no contact and no red baby book.Honestly.
  • Options
    Sooky thats really bad! Its disgusting how the care for people differs across the country.

I actually asked my hv how come she keeps wanting to come out cause the one I had with my son never bothered. She said that she prefers to see new mums once a week for the first six weeks to check up on them and also to build a good relationship so that if there is a problem people are more likely to call her for advice. Made sense to me and stopped me being paranoid about her wanting to come out all the time lol. Still managed to put her off for 2 weeks though thankfully! Think I must have convinced her that yes I'm doing ok and I'm ok with the fact that I have had to top up with formula. And she weighed Tegan (14oz in 12 days weight gain!) so I didn't have to bother going to the clinic in the snow. THink I've actually got one of the rare good HV's!