Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sweep at 38/39 weeks (Also in Labour & Birth)

Hi. I am booked in to have a sweep at 38+6 and wondered if anyone had any success stories or advice to help make it successful? This is my second baby so hoping that might make a difference but don't know if that's just wishful thinking! Thanks ladies.

Replies

• Options
    Hi g/c but i had a sweep at 38+6 at 10am and had given birth the following day after a 6 hour labour at 8:17am, so less than 24 hours after the sweep. it was also my 2nd baby, although my first came naturally at 39+3.

take a sanitary towel with you as it can cause some very slight bleeding/lose of plug and if you are able to keep active afterwards. i was on crutches but went for a walk and then sat on my birthing ball for the afternoon.

good luck xx
  • Options
    Oooh not advice but good luck. Hope it works xx
  • Options
    Thanks a lot girls! Fingers crossed it works! I have heard it can be quite unpleasant but keeping positive that it might just do something to help things along a little! Good luck to you both x
  • Options
    oo how come you're having a sweep? I've got my 38 wk appt tomorrow and just wondering if they'll mention sweeps as this baby looks like a bit of a giant at the mo haha!
  • Options
    Squeezd - They have offered me a sweep becuase of various problems, mostly to do with first delivery. As I will be 38+6 I am just convincing myself that even if it does set things off I will be into the 39th week so not that early really x
  • Options
    I forgot to ask at my appt this morning! All I know is I see the mw again at 40+1 and would be monitored at 41+3 and induced at 41+5 if she's still not here. In the leaflets she gave me though it mentions a sweep if you're overdue, so maybe she'll book one after my next appt.
  • Options
    Yes it's worth asking. Although apparently they can be very uncomfortable / painful so not looking forward to it to be honest! Any way fingers crossed it works, it will all be worth it in the end! Good luck girls x
  • Options
    sorry to g/c but honestly dont worry about sweep-try and stay relaxed-use it as an excuse to practice your controlled breathing for labour! its over really quick and doesnt hurt-i think its tge idea of it thats more uncomfortable than the sweep itself! good luck xxx
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the reassurance MrsH2009, really kind of you x