Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When are you planning on starting maternity leave?

Hi everyone,

I need to make a decision about this very soon, as my employers are going to advertise for cover for me soon and will need an idea of a start date... But I don't have a clue when I will need to finish work!

My job isn't particuarly physical, but it is stressful. I am a manager and so have a lot of responsibility and often work longer hours than contracted.

I have decided that I am having a whole year off. In my contract I can have a whole year and still go back at the end of it. But I want to save as much time to have with the baby as possible rather than use up too much beforehand! And then of course, baby could be a few weeks late!

This is my first baby and so I have no idea how I will feel nearer the end! I had been thinking about beginning my leave on 15th October and starting with 2 weeks annual leave which I have left, meaning maternity leave will properly start on 29th Oct (1 week before my due date of 5th Nov). So that will mean i'm finishing 3 weeks before. Is that too early, too late? I have had people say both!

I just wondered how long those of you who have done this before had off before baby was born, and those first timers like me, what are you planning?

Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    With Ds1 i worked in retail and was on my feet all day 40hrs a week. I cut down from 30weeks i was so tired, had to get bus to and from work. I finished work at 34weeks mat leave starting at 35w. He was born at 37w so glad i went off then. With Ds2 mw expected he would be early too. I worked evenings at that stage. So i went off at 34w again maternity leave starting at 35w. He was 5days late little monkey. This time i work 3 shifts as a care worker in the community so on the go constantly. Cutting down to 2 shifts (start at 7am) from 32w and taking 2weeks holiday starting at 35w. Maternity leave starting on 8th Oct when i am 37w. Sorry for essay!image it is up to you at the end of the day. Xxx
  • Options

Hiya. I'm also a manager and regularly work longer hours too. With my first child, I went off at 36 weeks and felt this was just about right. It gave me time to clean up the house etc but also do a little bit of exercise and have some 'Me' time before the baby came. I probably could have pushed it out to three weeks but I just didn't want too. With annual leave - I still didn't have to go back before the baby was 1 and that felt fine. Just do whatever comes naturally.

This time around I went at 35 weeks but that's because I wanted to spend some time with my daughter before the baby cam.e

• Options

Hi there - with my first, I started maternity leave at 36 weeks.  I was really ready for it as I was suffering from a lot of swelling in my feet, legs and hands etc and commuting was a real struggle.  I went for a routine mw appt the day after I finished work and they found out I had pre-eclampsia and had to have my baby right away!  So, no time to prepare the nursery (which was being painted) or unpack the baby's things - all of which I was planning on doing on my 4 weeks off!!!  This time round I'm planning on starting maternity leave at 37 wks and hoping there wont be a re-run like before! x

• Options

Thanks for your comments. I'm thinking 36 weeks sounds quite good so I may go for that. It would also mean that my last day of work was on my birthday! So it would be a nice birthday present to finish work for a long time!

• Options

Last pg I finished at 37 weeks and had dd at 39 weeks. This pg I am thinking of stopping at 36 weeks too (but will hopefully have 4 weeks to take as annual leave so hopefully won't need to use any maternity leave. I plan to take 9 months of maty leave.

• Options

I went off at 34 weeks last time and didn't go back, I now only work 2 days away from the house so will probably be working right up to the end this time. I run a business from home as well and if I want to get paid or not have massive late fines off the VAT man there'll be no such thing as maternity leave for me.

• Options

I'm leaving work pretty early - I'll be finishing end of August, using hols then starting SMP from September. My job is so hectic, my workload has continually been increased to the point of working 60 hour weeks, I have almost had a breakdown and that was even before I was pregnant! I'm finding it really tough already so I'm glad i've made the decision to finish so early it will only get tougher as I get further along. If I had a less demanding job then I think I would finish by 36 weeks at the latest, just to allow some time to myself and also allow for in case baby comes early! My friend is due her baby today (no signs yet) she only finished work on Friday! xx

• Options
    Sorry its so hectic for you Sian! Bet you're glad it's not much longer now!
  • Options
    With my first I started my holiday at 37 weeks with maternity leave starting on my due date. I was so bored waiting for DS to arrive that I wish they would have let me work longer. I have a desk job but do a really long, stressful commute to and from the office. I certainly didn't miss that!!

This time I'm starting my holiday on 21st September when I'll be 34 weeks with my maternity leave starting at 39 weeks. Looking forward to spending time with DS before no. 2 arrives!