Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

drinking

Does anyone elses LO refuse to hold a cup themselves, or is it just me with a lazy baby?

He has a TT sippy cup and will only drink if I hold and tip it for him, I try and put his hands on the handles and he just chucks it. Doesn't matter how thirsty he is, he will not drink by himself, he'll either go without or stick his head between my boobs and whinge until he gets a drink from there!

I end up just giving in so I know he has some fluids in him. Any tips to encourage drinking or do I just go with it and carry on doing it for him?

Jo x

Replies

• Options
    The boys do hold a cup, but they cant actually drink from it! They will hold it, but getting it to their mouth is one step too far! lol

However, I have the opposite issue that, if I dont hold it for them then they wouldnt drink AT ALL. They dont now, and dont ask for a drink, ever! We have wet nappies so im not worried but when they were really poorly last week and wouldnt eat, and everything they eat they threw up again, it was a pain in the arse trying to get anything into them as they just dont drink anything. I ended up syringing the small amounts they would let me get in!
  • Options
    Isabelle is very good at drinking from her TT beaker, but absolutely refuses to hold her own
    bottle.

It took a while, I just use to offer her it all the time and put in front of her with her toys, then one day she just started using and dribbling all the water out, but now she's mastered it. Don't think she'll ever drink from her TT bottle on her own, but know she's only got another two months before I get rid of them and she'll have her milk in her beakers! xx
  • Options
    i still have to hold phoebes bottle for her. its a mam one and its pretty big!! she hold and drinks out of her nuby sippy cup and tommy tippee cup image

not letting her loose on a doidy cup on her own yet though! she would be drenched!!! lol