Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

It's been a while!... (but got a diagnosis at last!)

Hi girls,

How are you all doing? I haven't been on here in absolutely ages due to just not having the time (or energy!) However, fingers crossed that should change soon because we have FINALLY got a diagnosis of what's wrong with Ollie.... He's allergic to cows milk! Can you believe that it took them 5 bloody months to diagnose that? I am so angry (although also relieved!) and feel so so guilty that he has been in pain all this time :\(

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi and looking at the front page, I have got some serious catching up to do! xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Bert666, welcome back, glad things are on the up and you have a diagnosis at least now it can be managed. poor little guy. Hope you start getting your energy back xx
  • Options
    Great news you have a diagnosis hun, bet its been stressfull, 5 months for a diagnosis is appalling but sadly nothing shocks me anymore with the bloody NHS!

A big 'Hi' back image xxx
  • Options
    Yay welcome back Bert666!! lol. Fab that u have finally got a diagnosis, poor lil boy must have been in agony, i sometimes wonder about NHS doctors!!
    Hope he starts to sleep better soon too.
    Sx
  • Options
    took me over a year before they would diagnose dd3 for definete so you're lucky image glad you can sort it now though image
  • Options
    Hi,

Sorry for gatecrashing from Born in Nov but Im having a nightmare with my baby, now 4 months and I think she might have a milk problem. Shes been in pain since week 2 , she had all the colic stuff, diagnosed by Paed for reflux a month ago but she still in pain after every feed and at night cant sleep longer than 2 hrs before thrashing through the night with wind.

We think she might be allergic to milk, (been on colief for months so dont think its lactose) her wind makes her scream several times a day and nothings changed with 6 weeks of comfort milk, 4 weeks gaviscon/ranitidine for reflux.

Can I ask what they did to get the diagnosis and how your baby was. I have a follow up appointment with Paed on Tue and Im desperate for help finding it very hard to cope now 4 months down the road.

Thanks Inka xxx
  • Options
    Hey there!!! Was just thinking about you last night, lol!! GLad all getting sorted with your ds, these babies don;t half know how to stress us out!!

xx
  • Options
    Oh girls... thankyou for welcoming me back :\)

Inca- It definitely sounds like your bub has got an intolerance somewhere!! There wasn't really any test they could do for a cows milk allergy because basically, he has done his own tests (if that makes sense?) and the results are that he's allergic. What I mean is, the dietician told us that there are 3 possible reactions he could have to cows milk 1) reflux 2) very painful belly and 3) severe ezcema... my lucky baby had all 3!!!!

At first they put him on a milk called Nutramigen but apparently that still contains some sort of protein that can mimic cows milk protein (or something like that!!) and he was still reacting badly to that (having explosive green nappies and feeding literally non-stop... if I didn't have a bottle ready 5 minutes after he finished one all hell would break lose!)

He is now on a milk called Neocate and fingers crossed it does seem to have settled him. It is so so so worth you getting angry and irate with your doctor/ paediatrician because as you can see, they didn't pay any attention to us till Ollie lost a staggering 10 oz in one week!!! (that's a heck of a lot of weight to lose for one tiny baby!) I was on the phone to the doctor and health visitors every single day because unfortunately, she who shouts loudest etc etc!!..

Good luck hun and I really hope you get it sorted soon because believe me, I can truly understand how you feel and how bloody frustrating it is to see your baby in pain and discomfort day in day out :cry:

Let us know how you get on xxx
  • Options
    Hi...Thats great news your all sorted out now...what a shame that must have been awful. Hopefully you can settle now and enjoy being a mummy xx
  • Options
    Bert666 - MY BOYS TOO!!

We are also on Neocate now. We started on Pepti-Junior but it made little difference. We were diagnosed before the boys started losing weight (thankfully) but they stopped putting as much weight on. Luckily, we have an EXCELLENT paed who has been amazing (I dont usually praise the NHS!)

Its funny reading your 3 'symptoms'. I was never told that but my boys also have all 3! As well as that, the explosive nappies were AWFUL! And they would both scream for milk after 1.5 - 2 hours (I obviously didnt get as far problem wise as you). They would scream out in pain and were unable to sleep.

I know you had similar problems as I remember talking to you, but then hadnt seen you on here for ages. Im so glad its sorted. The boys have been on Neocate for 3 weeks now and things are improving. (theyre also on Gaviscon as the silent reflux is still apparant at the moment)

Problem is, Alfie's horrific excema hasnt improved. His face is often cracked and bleeding and he is constantly rubbing it as if to itch it. I dont know what to do. Epaderm and Diprobase did nothing but make him cry out as I believe they hurt when put on cracked skin so im stuck. I have another appointment with the paed on 15th April and she has said that if it doesnt improve she is going to refer me to a dermatologist. Its so sad to see him in pain and I dont know what to do. Have they given you anything for Ollie's excema? Is it working?

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 22 + 3
  • Options
    Bert?? Who is this woman?? Don't remember sorry :lol:

On a serious note, pleased you're back chick, but even happier things finally seemed to have turned a corner for the little fella phew! Hope things now really improve x
  • Options
    Hi Gemmiebaby,

Sorry for the late reply- who knew these babies would take up so much of my Babyexpert time?! The days of being sat on here all day are long gone! (crikey I miss those days ha ha!)

Anyway- how funny that your boys are the same as Ollie! (not funny haha I mean!) I know when I was going through it all it truly felt like I was the only person in the world with a 'poorly' baby. I felt like I had to explain about him all the time so that people wouldn't judge me or him- especially when his face was at it's worst, it would break my heart to think that he just wants to touch everybody and everything but that some people may think of him as being an 'icky' baby.... if you see what I mean?!

Your poor little Alfie with his sore face, I really feel for you. We too have tried both those creams with abslutely no effect. We also tried Oilatum which just made Ollie scream as soon as it touched his skin so I defintely don't recommend that! We're now using a cream called Dermol literally as often as I can slap it on his face and that combined with anti-biotics (because it all got infected) and using hydro-cortisone cream twice daily seems to have got a hold on the problem.... although watch this space!!

Have you tried lavender oil? I know it's not something a doctor would ever recommend but I started using a mix of sweet almond oil as a base with a couple of drops of lavender in it and it seemed to be taking effect! (plus, it's all completely natural so a way better long term solution!) I told the doctor that I had started to use that before he scratched his face and it got infected and she was fine with it... ultimately, whatever works is always going to get a thumbs up I guess!

Gem- if you ever want to chat just give me a yell because I can seriously say that the past 6 months have been absolute and utter hell and when I told my husband that you had been through it all too.... with 2 babies we both just wanted to give you a big old cuddle!! xxx

[Modified by: Bert666 on March 24, 2010 06:17 PM]

• Options
    Hunny - Your post made me cry! I also felt like the only one in the world with this problem. Alfie's skin is at its worst at the moment and I have been pestering the paed (who is lovely, but seriously overworked!). She suggested I see the GP (ARGH) so went today (they wanted me to wait till next Wednesday - does anyone care im talking about a very sore and unhappy 5.5 MONTH old!) and he has given me hydro-cortisone (again!) but has said to go back in 2 weeks and see if this has had effect. If not they will try something else, but if it has then they will give me a cream that acts like a steroid but isnt one (I dont know what its called though). I also have a prescription for Oilatum but it was awful for him in the bath so not hopeful. Ryans skin is starting to turn as well. They said the milk will set of the 'gene' but once it has it will take ages to get rid of, even though the milk is better. Again, he reminded me that this wouldnt have happened had I still been breastfeeding them. Makes me feel like such a failure.

However, our nappies are back to normal, they are MUCH happier (except int he evening when Alfie's skin gets really bad) and they are enjoying bottles again. I shudder when I think back to trying to force milk into them.

It took so so long to get somewhere, which makes me so sad. But, some have taken much longer and for that im grateful that im not a pushover!

Alfie's head is infected at the moment and has scabbed up majorly. His face is very sore and bleeds, as do his hands. It makes me cry to watch him.

Thank you for replying. Sometimes it really is nice to know that there is someone in the world who knows what this is like (and 2 is no different to 1 really - its still as heartwrenching, and Ryan is nowhere near as bad as Alfie).

I may try Lavender Oil, although ill wait till the cream has helped the cracks to heal. Dont want to be using steroid cream for too long.

Gemma xxx
  • Options
    just been reading your posts ladies and I just wanted to say how amazing you guys are! I know that we'd do anything for our babies and I know it's horrid when your baby's in pain and you don't know what to do (luckily in my case it's usually resolved by a good burp, lol!) But with your little guys you've just been fab, and I'm so pleased that for both you Danni and Gemma that things are starting to get better and it sounds like there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!

Lots of love and hugs

Rachel and Charlie xx
  • Options
    Only got a quick second to reply but just wanted to say... WHAT THE EFFFF IS WRONG WITH YOUR GP??? How dare he say that this wouldn't have happened if you'd continued breastfeeding!!! Ultimately, if your boys have a milk allergy, you are going to pass on any dairy that you eat through to them, so how exactly would BF'ing have helped???

Ooh, I tell you- I get so so mad with comments like that! The bloody doctor has absolutely no idea what you went through with trying to BF 2 babies. I remember reading on here about your heart wrenching decision to stop BF'ing and I could sympathise completely because it truly is a tough decision but I know now that my milk was making Ollie ill and your stupid doctor should realise that before opening his big stupid idiotic mouth!!!

Rant over! Hope you and the boys are okay? How's Alfies skin now? Has Ryan had a break out too? Ollies having a flare up at the moment and I think it's from banana... very random I know but it seems to make all the skin round his mouth get a hives like rash- poor little bubba!xxx

(ps- Thanks Rach! How's little Charlie doing? Your piccys on Facebook of him are just adorable!xxx)
  • Options
    Oh, Bert, are you on fb? Would love to add you if thats ok.

My GP is obsessed with BF! He has twins and his wife bf them for 6 months so I am obviously a bad mum! The first time he said it was when we first went with the problems we were having (im dairy intollerant so dont eat much so thats why they didnt suffer badly, although they did a little, when I was bf). I hadnt long stopped, and yes, it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made, and I came out crying. I was so upset that he would think I had given up for my benefit and not theirs. Im much stronger now, and know I made the right decision, so wasnt as phased this time but yes, it does beggar belief that he has no issue whith saying this to someone.

Alfie's skin has cleared up, almost, although only with the steroid cream. If im late putting it on, as I was this morning, it flares up! I havent thought about the solids making it worse. Will def keep an eye on that. Alfie has it round his mouth and ive just started on banana...might be a link??

Hows Ollie doing? Is he enjoying solids? The boys are dropping milk feeds like theres no tomorrow. They LOVE food!

Ryan has broken out in it, it just seems to have taken longer but it looks just as painful so have been putting the cream on that too. I have my follow up with the paed and dietician on 15th April. I get so much further with them!!
  • Options
    Yep- I am on the dreaded FB!! I'm Dannielle Robertson and my profile picture at the moment is a very sultry black and white photo that I took myself ha ha!! How bloody vain am I?!! Look forward to chatting to you on there soon xxx
  • Options
    Cant find you hun. Im Gemmma Steward and my picture is a black and white on of me with the boys. See if it works that way!!