Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Something interesting i've just been told...................

Hi all
I've just bumped into a friend of mine i've not seen in a while (we're frinds on FB but not actually "seen" each other since i was PG). She has a 3 1/2 year old boy and she was asking me what i'm feeding Ava etc.
I told her i make my own purees up and offer her a wide variety of foods.
Now, i'm not saying making your own is the "right way" to do it BUT she said she reeeeeeallly wished she'd done that with her son. She would only really give him jars, no fresh fruit or finger foods or anything like that and she said she's had, and having, a nightmare getting him to eat most "normal" foods. She seemed to think it was because the texture of jar food is really sloppy so when she tried her own and you never can get them like slop (which is a good thing) he would just throw up. She left it too late to start inroducing him to non-slop and variety of stuff. She was almost close to tears so you could see it was distressing her that her little boy is such a fussy eater.
She said the only thing he'll eat is pasta :cry:
I told her it might not have had anything to do with that, and let's be fair that could be true, but my cousin also told me the same thing cuz she'd only given already made stuff to her son and she went through the same thing with him. On the contrary, other Mummy friends who did their own have now got children who are great little eaters :\)
We all want what's best for our babies, so it's good to hear things from other people who *don't* do what you do sometimes.

So anyway thought i'd share that as i found it interesting lol xxx

Replies

• Options
    uum that interesting. I tried giving Seth some roast chicken dinner last night just blitz up so it wasnt smooth and he made himslef sick gagging on it. Today i gave him some chicken sweet potato and apple that i made and got it super smooth and he gobbled it. Dont really know how to get him to eat texture withhout throwing up. I can give him carrot stick (the organix ones) and he'll happily gum it to death. I certainly think its texture over taste they dislike. If it is supper sloppy mush like most jarred stuff i think u can get anything into them, also alot of the jarred stuff is very sweet and i think 'most' babies have a sweet tooth. I dont really know if that answered you post or whether it was just a rant!! lol
    Anyway, as you say we all want to do wats best for our babies and we're all different its hard to know whats the best.
    Sx
  • Options
    i have been trying baby led weaning today with LOTS of gagging and being sick.. they get used to it apparently!
  • Options
    Hi,

I was pants with making my own foods for ds who is now 28 months, he had finger foods but two meals a day were jars until he was about 10 months old. He has a fab appetite now though, he eats anything we do, and often asks for seconds. On Sunday he asked for 'more grocolli mummy' three times!!

I think it helps if they have fresh, home made purees/meals though.

This time Isabelle has a lot more home cooked food as we eat a lot more healthily now so our meals are ok for both of them.

She does have jars along with finger food and I am struggling with savoury foods but I'm thinking this will just fall into place with perseverence!

xx
  • Options
    I must admit to being a naughty mummy!! I worked with children and always used to say i will make my own food. But i found jars to be so much easier and i do use a mixture of both jars and own foods but we have been on stage 2 jars for a while and these quite lumpy and textured and Luen is very good at eating these and he has finger foods and i do give him fruit. So i belive it is getting the balance right that may help. Today i have gave Luen sgahetti and toast and he loved it! xx
  • Options
    Wow Luen sounds like he's really getting the hang of texture and lumps. That is fab. Seth just makes himself sick if i try giving him anything other than smooth! He likes finger food but tends to take bites and gets them stuck and throws up! image
  • Options
    I think what my friend was meaning was that she didn't give him a great variety of things. The jar stuff is fine but they all pretty much taste the same and they don't do a wide variety of things inside them either, which you can do with your own.
    DD seems to be happy to try anything I give her which is great - I'm making sure I incorporate plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, finger foods, dairy etc.
    I cook a fresh meal every day for me & hubby anyway so when DD's older I want her to eat the same meals we do & not to cook a different one for her (or one that involves turkey twizzlers, chips & beans :lol: hahahaha!!)
    Not yet tried her on anything too lumpy though - think I'll have to gradually reduce how long I use the hand blender for tee hee!!!!! xx