Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Babies in your room?

Hi girls,
Currently we have Seth in his moses basket in our room but as he is really quite long it will not be long before he has out grown in and will be in his cot. Now i know the governement guidelines say they should be in your room for first 6 months so does this mean we've gotta dismantle the cot and fit it in our room or will he be ok in his own room with monitors on?

Just wondered what you girls are doing?

Sxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey hunni
    I know what you mean, Ava's quite long (does not take after me!!) and is well on the way to outgrowing her basket.
    We don't have room in our bedroom to put the cot in so we're planning on her sleeping in the cot in her room with the monitors on. I know lots of mummies that have done this.
    Plus Ava's such a noisy sleeper it'll be nice when we get our own room back ha ha!!
    I'm not ready to take the plunge yet though, I love her being close to me image
    xxx 5+2
  • Options
    We are putting H in his own room just after xmas - as DH is off work that week so if it takes him a few nights to settle he won't be shattered for work.

He would probably still fit in his crib in our room - but he's noisy and I think it might help him to sleep through the night if he is in his own room.

I will miss him tho ... although I won't miss the grunting ! LOL

xxx 7+4
  • Options
    Hi..
    We put Luen in his room in his cot from last wednesday as he is quite big for basket and when he wriggles he makes basket move!
    We have an angelcare monitor plus a listening type monitor which vibrates for my benefit so i can hear him when hubby gone work!
    He actually loves his cot and manages to move from 1 side to other! I think both me and hubby were more worried than Luen.
    And this is my opinion but i think if you kept lo in room until 6 month it would be so much harder for both of you as they'd be used to being with you and you would find it hard to seperate!
    xx
  • Options
    Hey ladies. Harry has been in his cot about a week now in his own room. We are lucky as we have s little cottage his door touches ours so at night we dont even need the monitor but we do if downstairs. He was hitting the sides of his Moses basket and we all sleep better now in seperate rooms. He went at about 8 weeks old x
  • Options
    Aww thanks girls. Hubby is off this week and next so i'm guessing this week will be a good time to take the plunge. He slept in his basket in his cot last night but we slept in there with him but dont want him getting used to that.
    Sx
  • Options
    I've been wondering what to do about this as well. Midwife commented last week that Caden won't be in the moses basket for long and to put cot in our room!!! Wish i had a bedroom that big! He's only 4 weeks tho so will leave it for know then move him to his own room

xxx
  • Options
    I wanted to add if we put cot in our room it would be a very tight fit and not practical!!
    Think this is one of them guidelines set by government officails that you may choose to ignore lol!! xx
  • Options
    My parents never had me or my brother in there room with them when we were babies.....we lived to tell the tail. I think its one of the guildines that u take with a pinch of salt and do your best and what you think is best for your baby. I guess its for those parents that shut babies in a room and leave them all night at the other end of the house so you cant hear them. Although that would be nice at times i want to be able to hear my little man and go to him when he wants me.
    Sxx
  • Options
    Neither of my neices were in with their parents at all. We have the boys in with us in the cot but we had to do this as they never slept properly in moses baskets as they didnt like being apart and I didnt want to put them in their own room in a cot together at 4 weeks (when we decided to put the cot in our room). They sleep so much better together, its really sweet.

They wont be in our room until 6 months though. My plan is that, once they start sleeping longer than 3 hours at a time, and I stop bf-ing at night, they will go in to a cot together in their own room. I dont want to be getting up every 3 hours as I just have to lift them out of the cot at the moment. Not sure when that will be though as they like bf-ing at night. Depends how long my milk lasts really.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie (7+2)
  • Options
    the government guidlines are always changing so i tend not to take much notice half the time, my son had outgrown his moses basket by 3 months and went into his own room with the monitors and i think ayda will be the same if not sooner for her as shes alot bigger than he was!

xxxx
  • Options
    hi ya my twins are 6 weeks on friday and have been in their own room since we came home from the hosptal when they were 2 days old as theres just not enough room for them in our bedroom we have monitors though, one thats got a camera on tv monitor so i can watch them while they sleep : )

MummyD

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/XLc5.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/V3up.png

• Options
    Ollie is in his cot now in our room but that's cos he has no choice... we live in one bedroom house!! Luckily, our bedroom is massive so it's not a tight squeeze and ideally the sale of our house would have gone through before Ollie was born (stupid girl pulled out of the sale which I'm still blaming for me going into early labour cos it happened that night!! Grrr!!) BUT, for now, it seems to be working for us!

Oh, and hubby is going to Iraq for 6 months next year so I'm quite looking forward to it just being me and my little fella together in a bedroom and it means I don't have to do any walking at night!! ha ha! (lazy cow!) xxx
  • Options
    Hiya

I put my LO in his own cot in his own room at about 3 months old and believe it or not but he slept through the night from the 1st night of being in his own room but then got poorly and from then on he hasnt slept so well.

Good Luck and I hope your LO's take to it as well as my LO did

xx
  • Options
    DH said that a girl at work didn't move her LO into her own room until she was six months - and it caused all sorts of problems as she was so used to being in a very enclosed space in her crib - and then felt lost in her cot. She moved both her boys at 10 weeks and they were fine.

We aren't going to wait until xmas now ... DH has a couple of days off work in a couple of weeks so we are going to give it a go then. I think DS will be fine - it will be me that misses him !!!

K x
  • Options
    I'm also worrying on what to do, as James and Izzy will be sharing a room. James went in his room at 8 weeks, as he'd outgrown the moses basket. Izzy is now 8 weeks, but thankfully isn't as long as her bruv! We could possibly get her cotbed in our room, but it would be so tight and not practical! I'm worried that if they go in together to soon, they'll wake each other up, also worried that my James would throw something in the cot or climb in with her. x