Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Where's my happy baby gone?

Ava's been so grumpy lately bless her, but other than me blaming teething (A-gain!) for it I just don't know!
She's not settling well for naptimes and bedtime's seem to be all over the place too atm.
I do think the heat had a lot to do with it too.

Thursday & Friday night it took upto 45 minutes for her to go to sleep. She wasn't crying though, just making moaning noises (this is why I thought it was the weather). Unfortunately it didn't mean a lie-in the next morning as she woke an hour earlier than usual!!!
However, last night was the worst and this is why I think teething. It was an hour of horrible sobs & pained cries. She eventually went to sleep, calmly, after a dose of Calpol & some Anbesol on her gums but I had to stroke her to sleep. I couldn't leave my baby sobbing like that poor thing :cry:

But she's spending most of her awake time shouting at me, like she's frustrated. Or just being a grump, crawls after me everywhere I go and if she can't see me she gets upset. She's never been like this, she's such a happy little thing but I just don't know what to do??
I've just put her down for her nap but she's currently stood up in her cot shouting for me. I don't go to her straight away though, I don't want to get into a habit of that.

Is it teething? Just a "phase" like everything seems to be lol and she'll soon get over it? Is it because she's getting ready to learn a new skill (sleep can be a bit over the place previously when she's learnt something new), and I think it might be walking as she's pulling herself up really well and is cruising.

I'm just not sure, think I'm looking for a bit of reassurance that it's not her personality!!!!
Thanks xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Kelly

Really don't think its Ava's personality, as we are having the same problem with Ellie, bedtime's and nap times are becoming a nightmare she is so tired but fights to stay awake and because she's not geting good sleep this makes her grumpy during the day.

I hoping it's mainly the heat and teething (god blamed everything on teething since she was 12 weeks old lol and still there's none), but as you said it could be they are about to learn a new trick or two.

Just to let you know that your not alone and hopefully we will see some light at the end of the tunnel soon and have our lovely happy smilely babies back

Christine xx
  • Options
    Aww huni,
    Its definately not here, she is such a happy little thing normally. I really dont know, i would put it down to heat, teething, learning new things. Any of the above. I know that doesnt help you much, here's hoping its a phase which she will grow out of soon image
    Sx
  • Options
    Evan's been the same. He sailed through getting his first four teeth, the baby bonjela reamined unopened in the cupboard and we just woke up one morning and found a tooth, His top two and bottom two caused no problems at all. However, last week, we had a really difficult week with him. He was grumpy because of a cold and chest wheeze, and this got worse when we thought he might be getting his incisors!! He's normally so happy, and he cried for hours every day. Normal bedtime routines went out the window, and we were putting him down at 9pm!!

He seems much happier this week, and i'm greatful that the temperatures have dropped. It was consistently about 30 degrees with us for a fortnight, and his room is the hottest part of the house anyway!!

I think it's a combination of heat, and gums. You'll get your happy baby back, once a happy baby, always a happy baby i think!!

Janine x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies as always image

She's definitely not her usual happy self. Normally when we go out she's screeching and laughing as high as she can do, but i took her out for a wander round the shops today and she didn;t make one little peep :cry:
    We had more unsettledness (is that a word?!!) at bedtime tonight, thankfully not like last night.

My poor baby girl, i'm hoping it's just toofy pegs and she'll be happy again very soon. I feel a bit lost when she's not "normal".
    xx
  • Options
    Hi Kelly, H been like this also for last 2 weeks put diorhhia (sp). Am so shattered been going to work on about 2 hours sleep and nearly runa red light yest morning. I was so zonked I just didnt see it. The van that put , rightfully, into my line had me slamming on fairly quickly. Just grateful he wasnt in car with me. Am too blaming teeth but am taking to doctors this morning as has gungy eyes , prob caused by all the crying and lack of sleep.

fingers crossed, he sleept so much better last night, only 2 dummy runs.

I live in hope he will smile again soon lol. Sure Ava is the same./ Very interesting though how so many of the babies around the same age are suffering from the same thing. Must be teething or heat!

Has Ava got one yet?? H still a gummy bear

xx
  • Options
    Hi Kelly..it sounds like shes definetly teething..and prob a bit of the heat too! Mylie was great with her first four teeth but the fifth one was an eye tooth and i found that nurofen worked alot better than calpol for her. Hopefully Ava will get her first ones through realy soon and maybe that will give her a bit of relief! xx
  • Options
    I think the reason for her grumpinss was that she was learning a new skill - standing. She mastered it within a couple of days and went back to my happy baby again image
    We're still toothless though grrr!!

I have a feeling she's getting ready to start walking, so i'm sure more frustrations lie ahead with her until that one's mastered too lol!
    xx
  • Options
    Aw fantastic..so pleased shes back to her normal happy, cheery self!!
    Sounds like it wont be long at all until shes toddling along..how cute!!! xx