Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sleeping in the day and nighttime sleep

How much do your babies sleep during the day and how does this affect their sleep at night?

The boys have only slept through once each (on different nights unfortunately! lol) By this I mean Alfie did 7pm - 6am and Ryan did 7pm - 5am.

Normally, they wake at 11pm-12am and 3am - 4am before being up for the day at 6am. Dream feeding didnt work as they wouldnt take anything if they werent partially awake so this defeated the object and we became quite stressed about it.

I normally try to get them to nap during the day, normally between each feed, although this doesnt always happen as they still feed 3hrly and 5 times a day.

The amount of milk/food they take seems to make no difference to the sleeping through but im wondering if daytime sleep does. Theyve had little sleep today - probably about 90mins total (although im letting them have a short nap now as they would have been horrors for an hour otherwise)

What sort of naps does your lo have and does this make a difference to nighttime sleep?

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 22 + 1

Replies

• Options
    I have heard the better they sleep in the day, the better they sleep at night...so a good 3 hrs during the day is what they need. We are actually dedicating tomorrow to naps, lol! But today he had a good hr and a bit in the morning, but the rest of the day has just been short bursts which for us, don't seem to be so good. Consequently as he's not slept since about 3:30 he's actually fast asleep now, (18:45) as just soooo exhausted!!

Like you I'm always in a bit of a quandary over the df business, sometimes I just let him go but always wakes in the night, but often if i do it he still wakes so wonder what the point is!!!

Sorry to be rambling, and not sure if much help, but will keep posted on the better naps tomorrow and see if that does help more!!
    Rachel and Charlie, 20wks tomorrow

We are going to move him into his own room at the w/e and so will also be 'big' cot as at the mo he's in a crib still with us, and I don;t actually think that is helping as he bangs his hands against the side so that prob wakes him too!!

• Options
    Hello,
    Seth has about 3x 1 hr naps during the day, One about 9.30-10.30. One from 12.30-1.30 and one from 3.30-4.40. With these naps touch wood and dont want to speak to soon he's sleeping 6:30-6:30 ish give or take 30 mins.
    Sx
  • Options
    Mylie sleeps for an hour about 9am-10am mostly every morning but then the rest of the day is always different...she`ll fall asleep in her bouncer or swing or sumtimes on me. I would say she sleeps about 2hrs a day.
    She gets her bath at 7pm and then i put her down about 7.30pm she wakes at 7-7.30am. xx

• Options
    Hi Gemma
    DD sleeps 12/13 hours at night and has (usually) 3x 30 minute naps during the day (occasionaly 4x).

Now we used to have a problem where she wouldn't settle in the evenings (even though we stuck to same times/bed routine etc) and sometimes she'd go down, other times she'd have an hour and want to be up. She'd then settle after the "dreamfeed" bottle & go through the night BUT I was honestly racking my brains as to figure out why she wouldn't always settle well in the evenings.

I then figured out that if she had long stretches of sleep during the day, these were the evenings she would stay asleep. I suppose because doing a 2 hour stretch during the day means she doesn't need it at night.
    So whilst I didn't want to deny her any sleep I tried to re-jig it a bit so she'd have the long stretch at night rather than during the day.
    Took me a few days but once she started having smaller chunks of sleep during the day she's been doing great (completely touch wood of course!!!)
    So she *used* to sleep an hour in a morning, 2 in an afternoon & then occasionally half hour later afternoon.

HTH xx
  • Options
    Hey hun

H generally has 3 x 45 minute naps in the day and then sometimes he'll have an extra power nap if we are out and about and he's in the car or his pram ...

Generally his days goes as follows:

He wakes up at about 7. Has a nap at 9:15 - 10. Then has another nap at 12:30 - 1:15. Then his final nap at 3:45 - 4:30. He then goes to bed at 7 and sleeps for 12 hours.

My main rule is I don't let me sleep past 5:30 (5:45 at the absolute latest) otherwise he won't go to bed at 7.

xxx