Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Dreamfeeding & 4am wailing!

Hey ladies,

H has been getting into a routine of sleeping 7-7 ish, but had recently been waking at 4am. When i go to him he has been straining and crying,, and i have since changed his milk to one for constipated babies.
He still wakes though, and it starts a high pitched girly squeal! He has seemed to have found his high notes! this does eventually turn into a loud cry. He does settle after a bottle, sometimes he has it all sometimes not.
My first instinct is to let him cry it out. He does have a scream for 5 mins when i put him up for his daytime naps, but gets to sleep very quickly. The trouble is as our cottage is small and harry is right next door this would be hard on h2b, who is already suffering with the broken sleep.
Last night for the first time ever i tried a dream feed. He took half the bottle then slept through til 6am ish. So this did result in him being asleep from 7pm-6am.
I was just wondering what your thoughts were, what do you do that works well? Or shall i be gratefull that he goes so long with just one feed!!
I just dont want him to get into a bad habit now at 4 months, and realise that a squeal in the middle of the night means mummy, possible food and attention!

D and H 4 months yesterday!! xx

Replies

• Options
    Hey D hope you're well - H is 4 months? Oh my goodness it's flying!!!

I'd say do what's best for you hun.
    DD goes to bed at 7pm and we dreamfeed at 10.30pm and she goes through until 8am without a peep (touch wood!!)
    The dreamfeed works well and it's still not too late for me & hubby to be going to bed (about 11.15 when all finished) and we get a full nights sleep so it's all good. Once she's on solids I'll drop the dreamfeed - daren't do it beforehand!!

Like you said though, H might start getting used to a 4am wake up & feed so I'd maybe try and get him out of that habit??
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Kelly, Well it has worked a couple of nights now, he has slept through til 6-30 ish. But last night woke again at 4.30 so had to feed him.
    How do you get Ava to take more in her dream sleep as H only manages 4oz?
    D x
  • Options
    Well sometimes she might only want 5oz's instead of 7 but if she's had full bottles during the day then I don't push it - usually I can keep shoving the bottle in her mouth but sometimes it's fully clamped shut and I've got no chance.
    I always like her to take around 5 though at least so I'll just keep trying - prop her up to wind her, just to rouse her a bit.
    Good luck - if he continues to wake Hun maybe he's ready for more than milk??
    xxx