Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

water or baby juice?

Just wondering what everyone is giving. Do your LO drink water or do you give them baby juice aswell?

Thank
?Hayley and Jake 21 weeks

Replies

• Options
    Hiya
    I give DD cooled boiled water.
    Only because I don't want to start using these baby juices cuz they're still sweet & have sugar in them & I don't want her getting used to it!
    That's of course my personal opinion & when she gets older she can have the occasional juice, but nope water all the way for us image xx
  • Options
    Hi hun,

for timebeing will stick with just water, figure the longer i can hold him off sugary drinks the better, soon enough i will be bribing him with them to behave himself so not in any hurry to give them now !!lol xx
  • Options
    Yeah Seth just has cooled boiled water although i must say not that keen. He has a little bit with each solid meal to keep his poos nice and loose!! lol
  • Options
    We had a talk about this at our post natal group. Apparently you should only give a baby juice once they are really established water drinkers. The sweetness of juice will put them off water if they are not used to drinking it already. Also the lady warned that even baby juices are too strong and should be diluted (even though they say they are ready to drink). She showed us how much sugar was in a fruit shoot - it was disgusting!
  • Options
    I cant get LO to take water at all. I did look at the baby juice but i didnt realise how much sugar was in them. So i will just have to keep trying water. Maybe once the summer comes in and it gets a little warmer she might be a bit more willing to give it a go!! xx
  • Options
    At the talk the lady said you have to try over 20 times with water sometimes before a baby accepts it as milk is sweet it takes them a while to get used to the taste.
  • Options
    Think i must be only person that has given in and gives my lo very diluted juice. He does have it in a beaker as dont think he should have in anything else, plus he only has after mealtimes. I just worried that if he wasnt drinking water that he needed some fluid.