Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

O/T Reward points for baby milk

Hi Everyone,

Gosh this baby lark is hard. Everyday I discover little things about being a mum and sometimes they surprise me and sometimes like yesterday really upset and annoy me.

Did you all know that you can't get reward points from purchases of baby milk in major retailers including Sainsbury's, Boots and Tesco. (I've called to check).

I was in Boots yesterday buying more baby milk as unfortunately my son didn't take from the breast. I tried to use a double points coupon because I was buying two lots of Aptamil and thought it would be good to get extra points.
Cutting a long story short - there was a problem with the coupon not registering and when I checked the receipt there was a very small number of points. The lady then said that they didn't give points on baby milk.

I have a reward card with Sainsbury's and Tesco and have just rung them both this morning. I've been told by both retailers that they don't offer points on Baby Milk because of the Government initiative to promote breast feeding.

I completely agree with the aim of the campaign but why should mum's who weren't able to breast feed be penalised by retailers and the government? My son was tongue tied and couldn't latch on - and even though this was fixed, he didn't want milk from me. Not for lack of trying on my part either.

I feel so angry and upset about this. Baby milk is so expensive but I have no other option - why should I be penalised for this. It's not like I wanted to have to bottle feed. Surely those extra points would come in handy for stretched families.

Sorry - rant over - I'm just really upset now.

Tara

Replies

• Options
    hi there, I had noticed that i didn't get reward points in Boots for formula milk but didn't know that the reason was because of the government initiative!!! that is so annoying and wrong. probably also just an excuse from the retailers to hold back on points for items we are going to be buying a lot of!!!!

i too wanted to breast feed but couldn't get my lo to latch on. i did express for 4 weeks before my supply dried up image
  • Options
    I've had this arguement in Tesco, as they also won't give you the 5p of fuel voucher if your shopping goes over ??50 but is made up from Formula price (if you know what I mean). If you change to follow on milk at 6 months, you can get point and use vouchers!

It really makes me angry xx
  • Options
    Oh i didnt know that. You can understand the government but this is just silly as people and babies are still going to need milk to drink. We are all trying to make savings on things everyday and getting points/rewards is just nice way of getting something back!! xx
  • Options
    I'm in agreement! It's so crazy and for me personally it'd just another thing that makes me feel crappy for nor bfeeding despite trying so hard expressing until just last wk and having one final attempt to try and get him on the breast image it was only today my hv said milk companies only make follow on milk cos they can advertise it!

AnywAy I shallstep down from soapbox and stop going off on one!

Xx
  • Options
    Hi Everyone

I got the following response from Boots. I still think that it's lousy.

Tara

Thank you for contacting us about our Advantage Card points scheme. I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed that Baby Milk does not attract points.

Baby Milk (up to 6 months) doesn't attract Advantage Card points because the "Infant Formula and Follow-on" Regulations prohibit this. Follow-on Milk (from 6 months) doesn't have this restriction, so it does attract points.

As the sale of prescriptions and pharmacy products are regulated by The Medicines Control Agency, these goods cannot be promoted, and are exempt from the Advantage Card scheme. In addition, some proprietary brands we sell do not to feature in our Advantage Card promotions at their request.

Gluten-free products that are provided on prescription will not attract Advantage Card points. I can confirm we work closely with the National Health Service guidance on products that we should offer points on. I am sorry that their guidance does not include prescription items.

Postage stamps don't attract Advantage Card points because the Royal Mail prohibits this.

Giftcards and Gift Vouchers are a form of currency that enables you to buy products from our shops, they are not products themselves, so they don't attract Advantage Card points. We give Advantage Card points when you buy most products from our shops, and this applies when you use a Giftcard or Gift Vouchers to buy things too.

Thank you once again for contacting us. If you need to contact us again, please quote your customer reference number, 6265579. Attached is a questionnaire, which will help us make sure we've provided you with the very best customer care. If we can help you further at all please contact our customer care team on 0845 070 80 90.

Kind regards

Anoop Kumar

Boots Customer Care.
  • Options
    I found out that under government rules, baby formula milk cannot be advertised or promoted (which is why the points on reward schemes aren't given ). Shops are never allowed to do 3 for 2 etc offers on infant forula either. The rules don't apply to follow on milk which is why you see it promoted and advertised. I can understand that the government want to promote breastfeeding, but it does seem really mean for those people who had no choice.