Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can't stop thinking about DD's birth & my recovery

Hi ladies
Does anyone else keep thinking back to their LO's birth?? I can't stop thinking about it, but not in a good way (apart from getting DD at the end).

I think it's still playing on my mind because I've got my post-birth operation coming up (pre op assesment next week, op itself within the next couple of months).
I'm really starting to freak out about my op, but more so the recovery of it. I keep thinking "what if I have to re-live all that horrid pain again for weeks/months on end?" and "what if I'll NEVER be right down there again?"

But on top of all that I keep going over Ava's birth, obviously I'm thrilled she was ok but considering it wasn't a great labour on paper:
14 days over, induction (2 days and 2 inductions), back to back labour, head coming out wrong angle, forceps delivery after failed ventouse, and then her shoulder got stuck :cry:
Plus DH told me, a few weeks after, that she was blue when she came out and they had to get her going. I don't remember this at all, I was out of it as I lost a LOT of blood so had to be quickly stitched up.
I can't stop thinking "omg what if we'd lost her?"

I don't know what I'm trying to say, or ask really. I'm struggling to move past it.
A while ago I was informed I could speak with a consultant at the hospital to talk about the birth in great detail, and also to talk about any future births.
I DO think I need to do this, but I actually feel stupid that I'm still bothered by it nearly a year on.

Replies

• Options
    Hi sorry your feeling this way i just wanted to let you know your not alone. This is my story!

I had a textbook labour waters broke at midnight had no pain relief at all and laboured in the birthing pool, got out to push and managed really well and Grace was born at 10:16. Then it all went wrong, i had a retained placenta and they tried to remove it manually (incredibly painfull!!!) but i was loosing blood to quickly it was just pumping from me, they rushed me to theatre and i was given a general anaesthetic, the next thing i knew i woke up ventilated in intensive care where i spent the first 2 days of my daughters life. I lost 5litres of blood and had a blood level of 2.4. I also ended up with 3rd degree tare.

Not a day goes by where i dont think about it and i still feel panicky (sp) and suffer with nightmares to the point where it is stopping me having anymore children.

I was also offered to speak to someone about my birth but at the time i refused as i thought i was coping but as time goes on i do wonder if i should?

It must have been so scary for you but try not to think of what ifs. Your not stupid at all still being bothered a year on it was a really traumatic time for you and your OH.
    Why dont you chat to your GP or HV and im sure they can refer you back to the hospital.

Im sorry you have been through this and thank you for posting this as it has also made me realise that its ok to still be feeling traumatised.

Sorry i have gone on so much but it was actually good to get it all out and its the first time i have written any of my birth details down!!!

MicMic and Grace
    xx
  • Options
    hun, I'm sorry that your still feeling this way but please do not feel that this is wrong for you. It was a big event in your life so it is completely natural to replay it in your mind. This is especially true when you have another operation coming up.

If the hospital offer someone to talk to about the labour then it might be good for you to see them. The experience must have been scary for you and these things can take time to heal but sometimes need someone elses help to heal properly.

Please don't feel that you are wrong to still feel this way because your not you are completely normal.

• Options
    Hi my lovely!
    I do think back to the birth of ds, but mainly in a sad way as I ended up with a c section and feel that I missed out on the "birthing experience" and that initial bond. I didn't skin to skin for over an hour and I was so out of it on drugs that I can hardly remember any of it. I can't even remember what it felt like to hold him for the first time.

My hospital also does a birth "after thoughts" service and it was made clear to us that we can use this service whenever we want, even if it's years and years after the birth. I think it's often after some time that mums (and Dads) can feel the need to go through their experience, so don't worry about using that service. A situation like yours is just what it's there for

Good luck with the op. I hope it goes well.

WW xXx
  • Options
    Don't feel stupid for it still getting to you, I am in exactly the same position. Posted in Traumatic Births only last week.

I have my second post birth meeting in a couple of months once the hospital has gathered all my notes in one place. Found out last week though that even before i was transferred for delivery, I was on the verge on my organs starting to shut down. Scary stuff. I was in tears at the meeting last week when talking about going into the High Dependancy Unit and was emotional all day after. Feel a weight has lifted already though.

Definately worth going and reviewing everything with someone who is in a position to answer any questions you might have.
  • Options
    Aww huni,
    Dont feel stupid at all, i'm sure after all the trauma you went through its only natural to keep reliving it.
    I had an easy labour and birth but it took them 2 hours to stitch me back up which was more painful than the labour itself. I worry about this alot with my next one but i guess i've just got to suck it and see! I think if your hospital still offer the service then it is definately somethign to consider. You have a beautiful daughter at the end of it but dont suffer in silence.
    Cant really compare but i still have nightmares about my accident with my leg 2 years on. So i'm sure what you went through it totally normal.
    Big hugs xxx
  • Options
    Pudding- You are most definitely not alone!! I had quite possibly the dream birth HOWEVER the first week afterwards was absolutely awful! We had to take Ollie back into hospital cos he was severely jaundiced but because we'd already been discharged from the 'maternity' ward apparently that meant that we weren't allowed back there again so we had to go and stay on the Childrens ward..... disgusting!! Not the ward itself but our treatment was shocking!!!!!!! They knew Ollie would have to have blood taken at least twice a day (sometimes 3 or 4 times) but did they put a drip thingy in to be able to take it easily? Did they f&$k!!

By the end of our week there, his poor little hands and feet were BLACK (and I don't just mean bruised, I mean that they then couldn't find any veins left intact and had to take blood from between his knuckles!) They had absolutely no experience of treating a 2 day old baby and even less of treating his mum!

I still get very very upset about this experience and would love to talk it over with someone and I know that my hubby feels exactly the same way but like you, I feel a bit daft for still fretting about it a year on, especially as Ollie is absolutely fine!

Hun, if you are offered the counselling, definitely go for it- it can only help at the end of the day can't it??! Big hugs and sloppy kisses to you and A xxx
  • Options
    oh chick image i would adivce speaking to health visitor?

now that im due baby number 2 i am constantly thinking about giving birth again.. i can actually feel it all over again and im actually shitting myself more than i was first time round!!

bert 666, phoebe had really bad jaundiced but as it kicked in 3 days after we left hosptial they just let it take its course and we didnt recieve treatment, although we did go through the heel prick tests over and over again, her feet were purple image
  • Options
    Hi

If you have the chance to talk your LO's birth over with someone I would go for it, and there's nothing to feel silly about, at the end of the day if it helps you to understand what went wrong and move on then it would be worth it.

Like Bert, i would say i had a the almost perfect labour and birth but when moved up to the post natal ward this rapidly changed, I so wanted to breast feed and I started well in the delivery suite but when moved i was left to get on with it and really struggled to get her to latch on properly which left one very hungery baby and one very sore and tearful mummy.

Hope you get the answers your looking for

Big Hugs
    Christine xx
  • Options
    Thank you SO much ladies, you're all such a great support and also thank you for sharing your stories.
    I'm going to get my operation done to repair my episiotomy and then I'm going to speak to the consultant to discuss things. We'd like to TTC next summer time so I need to get things sorted and for me to feel ok about it first xx
  • Options
    aww chick, good luck with EVERYTHING! oooh TTC next summer- YAY!! image

ooh, i forgot to ask, how is the new house?!
  • Options

ooh, i forgot to ask, how is the new house?!

It's wonderful thanks Hun image
    How's the pregnancy going? x
  • Options
    feel like shit! LOL! Have had the past 3 days off work, i had forgotten all about this bit!!

soooo, pics of new house??!! it sounded wonderful when you talked about it!! image
  • Options
    Ick yes I remember the morning sickness sooooo well, bleugh.

Hmm, I don't think putting photos of my house on a public forum is a good idea chick :lol: !!!! xx
  • Options
    haha oh yeh. d'uh!. didnt really think of that! well, im sure its lovely!!! im glad your getting all settled image
  • Options
    I think speaking about the whole birthing experience would help hun, especially as the qst birthday approaches and with your surgery on the horizon. A year is a long time to suffer with something that could have been avoided, I feel your frustration.

I think bad births are far more common than we realise, I didn't realise what a tough time some of us ladies went through.

I discovered a moderate vaginal prolapse last week, I was devastated, that was due to AJ's traumatic birth, big baby, big head, back to back, forceps and manual removal of placenta. Basically they can't do much for me, surgery would help but its not a forever fix and pointless to have before another labour and as we want 1 more its best to wait. I'm now in constant discomfort and that gets me down but I have to cope with it. Doing some research on the internet there are options to help temporarily so might try them.

Big Hugs, you aren't alone lovely lady and keep talking about it as thats good, don't suffer in silence xxxxx