Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does anyones LO NOT like swimming!

Well today we tried swimming for a second time and he screamed the place down!
We went last week and he seemed ok for about 5 minutes then started screaming so I took him out. Today he started crying while I was sitting at the edge with just his feet in!
He was screaming so hard and all the other mothers were staring, with their babies swimming away!
It is a warm leisure pool but it is pretty busy at parent and toddler time and think this scares him a bit.

I really don't know whether to persevere or not. Does anyone elses babies just not like swimming? At ??4 to get in it's becoming such a waste for a 5min session!
My LO is 23 weeks tomorrow.
xx

Replies

• Options
    Haven't tried swimming yet! The thought of trying to get me and LO dressed and dry at the end of the session just puts me off I'm afraid! How is he at bath time? Could you try him in his swim nappy etc with you in a deep bath so he's used to deeper water and the swim nappy etc It might help? It might be the noise in the swimming pool. It can be very loud and echoey - very different to everywhere else he's been. Has the pool got a spectators area? You could try just going in there (hopefully for free!) and see if he can cope with the noise from there. Hope that helps and good luck image
  • Options
    Yeah, think I might try him in the big bath , with me tomorrow eve. He does love his baths, but thinking back he used to scream and then we started half feeding him before a bath for a while.
    I think I might go along next week, take him into the spectator area, feed him then try the pool again.
    Our pool has a few mother and baby cubicles that have a changing table with a strap, which really helps when you are on your own.
    Thanks.