Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What should i do about milk? (also in baby)

My son is nearly 11 months old and has cut his milk down even further already to about 8oz a day (6oz in the morning and 1 or 2 at night) . He was having two 8oz bottles (one at 6.30am and one at 7pm) and the health visitor said this was fine as he gets plenty of cheese, yogurts etc. He now seems to be stopping his 7pm one and only having an oz or 2 although he managed 4oz last night. Nothing has changed in our routine and he still has meals at the same time etc but seems to not want the milk at this time. What should i do to get him to drink more or is it ok for him to be stopping it as he is regulating his intake. He has vitamin drops aswell. He has had a bug and stopped eating and drinking his milk for a few days but seems to be fine with his eating again but just hasn't gone back to drinking the milk.

I should also mention that he is still sleeping through the night and getting up at normal time so i assume that if he is hungry he wouldn't be sleeping.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Please help, I'm worried he is not getting enough.

Charlene and Alfie
XX

Replies

• Options
    i dont really know what to suggest... like the health visitor said as long as he is getting lots of yoghurts and cheese then he will be ok. when dd is teething she goes right off her milk but then gets back on it. i would try not to worry but if you are really concerned get on to the health visitor again image
  • Options
    Hi
    Jake has not had milk as in drinking milk since 8 months. After his operation he had to have milk from his cup for 4 weeks and he refused it completly. After that he would not have a bottle either. He has 3 oz with his porridge morning and night and has yoghurts and cheese throughout the day. I have been told by the nurse this is fine and not to worry. I have vitimin drops as well. I know this not ideal but try not to worry too much xxxx
  • Options
    I could have written the exact same post Charlene!!!!!!
    DD is only about 9 oz's per day of formula. I've also been giving her cows milk in a beaker mid-afternoon (3 oz's of which she'll happily guzzle!!!)
    I was concerned but I've always been led by what she wants so I'm not forcing it down her. She's sleeping through so she'd let me know if she was hungry. She has a great diet and has plenty of calcium from other sources (cows milk on porridge, 2x yoghurts, cheese etc etc)
    I spoke to my HV who gave the usual jargon of if below 15 oz's then we recommend vitamin drops blah blah (image)

If he's happy then go with it Hun xx
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies. You have made me feel much better. I haven't even bothered mentioning it to the hv as i know she will say try and get him to drink more but how can i force it down his throat. I'm not worried about it now as i'm sure he knows what he needs. XX
  • Options
    I also could have written this post, looks like these oct babies are not keen on milk anymore.
    Grace has 6oz in the morning and 8 if im lucky at night, she does have cheese and yoghurts. She cut the milk out so i guess just have to go with it.
    1proudmummy think i might give the cows milk in a beaker a go in the afternoon
    xx