Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyones LO Not sleeping through?

Hi

Well since Jake came out of hospital he has stopped sleeping through the night. He did sleep 8-8 and thought great but now he is up at 1am,3am,5-6am and then thats it. I am sooo tired and dont know why he is waking. He has a bottle at 1am and then just falls asleep the other times but not on his own i have to get up with him.
Its great all these babies who are sleeping through the night now but i am feeling slightly disheartened by Jake not and its starting to get me down

any advice???

Hayley and Jake 21 weeks

Replies

• Options
    Hi Hun
    it sounds like his operation has sent him out of whack with his routine slightly but I'm sure he'll get there.

How much milk is he taking during the day? Are you still keeping with the same bedtime routine as before? Does he take a dummy?

You could try the "sssh/pat" technique as recommended by the Baby Whisperer.

I think SLOW may be able to offer advice as S sleeps brilliantly now, after waking lots in the night.

Hope he gets back into the swing of things soo Hun.
    Another thought is he teething? Is he poorly (a cold or anything?)
    xx
  • Options
    I know it seems strange naughty hospital lol.
    He used to take 8oz of milk but since coming out of hospital dropped it to 6oz he wouldnt take any more. He is just going back to 7 oz. Weaning is going slowly still trying to get a grip of that. He doesnt take a dummy he never really has though could never keep it in.
    Bed time routine is exactly the same getting him to bed and sleep isnt the problem its the staying alseep after 12am which seems to be the stumbling block at the moment.

He does have a blanket that he sucks instead of a dummy but always scared incase he puts it over his face so take it off him when he is asleep.

He could be teething his cheeks are red but his gums look ok.

Going to try what Slow did and see if that works image xxxx
  • Options
    double post

[Modified by: Tigger08 on March 09, 2010 11:15 AM]

• Options
    Hi Callum's not sleeping through either! He did 7-7 for 8 nights when he was 12 weeks and we then went to stay with my mum for a weekend and it hasn't happened since! Some nights he just has one feed and other nights it's 2 or 3! I read somewhere that babies shouldn't sleep through until they weigh 16lbs so I'm not too worried yet as Callum is only 14lb 12. I'm sure i'll happen eventually!
  • Options
    We're still not going through image Totally exhausted constantly and feel like it's never going to happen. Charlie was 17lb 2oz when weighed last week so being over 16lb has made no difference to him. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread as just sleeping from 11-6 would be wonderful!
  • Options
    We're still not going through image Totally exhausted constantly and feel like it's never going to happen. Charlie was 17lb 2oz when weighed last week so being over 16lb has made no difference to him. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread as just sleeping from 11-6 would be wonderful!
  • Options
    Hello, SLOW here!!
    Seth used to wake every 20mins - an hour from about 1am. It was getting unbearable. To be honest all we did was ditch the dummy and he slept through, i think the time was right and something clicked and now he's doing 6:45-7 most nights. What i do in the day if he wont settle is the control cry, basically put to bed, leave to cry for 5 minutes then go back and shush him, leave the room and do the same again, next time u go in just show ur face touch his arm then go out again even if he's still crying. Keep repeating this until he goes off. I've heard that after 2-3 nights he should be sleeping through! Touch wood i've not had to do it at night time but this is what we shall be doing if he does wake.
    Hope this helps huni........hopefuly he will settle back down in a bit, i guess his op just disrupted him which is understandable.
    Sxx
  • Options
    AJ still isn't sleeping through, he wakes for one feed at anytime he feels like it, he weighs over 20lbs, he ditched the dummy himself at Christmas and we are weaning so God knows whats gonna make him sleep through! I do get desperate, promise myself I'll got to bed when he does each night but never do, like an hour or so to myself and put the house back together. Even harder at the mo with hubby away, no nights off!

Sorry, that turned into a whinge! No advise but I feel for you xxx
  • Options
    Ioan has never slept through, he is getting better he only wakes once most the time now. TBH I don't think it is abnormal for them not to sleep through, quite a lot of 1-2yr olds still wake in the night most nights. It must be frustrating that he used to do it,but I'm sure he'll resettle soon. When you do go in to settle him you could try and leave him sleepy but still awake and see if he can get himself of then gradually leave him sooner until he doesn't need you at all. He will get there again.
  • Options
    my wee man still gets up once for a feed. if he wakens any other time i just shhh and pat hhim and only lift him as a last resort. I find if i leave him to cry he just gets in a terrible state and will howl for nearly an hour.
    My eldest son only ever slept for 40 mins without waking and it was a nightmare. he was nearly 2 before his sleeping improved so i am really counting myself lucky this time and don't grudge getting up once too much.