Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What the effing hell are you meant to do when...

....you spend so long trying to get your baby to nap that you get repetitive strain from all the fricking sush-patting; and you realise that there is no point in carrying on trying to get her to sleep cos it is time to feed her again?!?!?!

Frankly I wish I had never read the flaming Baby Whisperer - rather than make me feel more confident she makes me doubt myself and I stop reading my baby's signals properly cos the book says she can't possibly be hungry/tired yet. BUT SHE IS!!!!!

And not only that - I would dearly love to see how to STOP a small baby falling asleep on the boob or chest. Frankly if Liv decides she wants to fall asleep, she will, regardless of where she is!

And another thing! I am so SICK of feeling guilty that sometimes I don't manage to get her into her crib before she is asleep; I am sick of worrying that because she sleeps in her pram during the day rather than upstairs that I am somehow guilty of "accidental parenting" and am not establishing a proper sleep routine; and so so so sick of fretting over whether I should use a dummy (I'm not at the moment), even though my instinct is not to. AND! Unbelievably sick of worrying whether if I introduce a bottle of EBM now it will cause nipple confusion, or if I leave it a too late I will have a baby who refuses to take a bottle.

ARG! How dare she make me feel guilty for enjoying my baby! Mass book burning at the end of my garden this evening I think!!!!!

:evil:

Replies

• Options
    Burn 'em chick!

I haven't bought any books and I'm not planning on - I figure that somehow me and Lo will muddle through!

Lauren has taken a bottle and boob from the day she was born (she wouldn't latch initially) and has never had nipple confusion. She sleeps downstairs in her pram top during the day as that's where I am and I like to be able to see her. And I feed and let her sleep as and when she wants - why would any one want a too hungry/tired baby? I just want a happy one! Although I'm sure these books have some valid points I just want to find my own way (whilst preying none of it comes back to bite me on the butt!) Fingers crossed up to now she is a very content happy little thing who (tempting fate here...!) usually does a good 6 hour stint at night. I totally believe mummy knows best....don't let anyone make you feel guilty, your doing a fab job! xx
  • Options
    Step away from the books! I have banished mine as all they have done for me is make me feel like i am failing as a mum.

I feel like i have had a bit of an epiphany since. I couldnt get on with EASY at all as Biba likes to eat before she sleeps and yes she also falls asleep on me because that is where she feels comfortable and secure, and so far she has never woken scared in her moses basket as she has awoken somewhere different to where she fell asleep.

I dont know how old Liv is now but dont fret about nipple confusion, i have found it to be a complete lie, OH has bottle fed EBM to Biba twice and she has taken the bottle and boob equally, we have also just introduced a dummy which i was against but i was just becomming a human dummy for her anyway so i now dont see a problem any more, she is 2 weeks today.

At the end of the day we would love to have a routine as much as you, but i really feel that being baby led for the first couple of months at least is the way to go, every baby and parent are different and the books just cant cater for that.

I really understand your frustration, after much wrangling with myself i have come to the conclusion to just do what you feel is right for both of you and you cant go wrong.

Hope you feel better about things soon xxxx
  • Options
    Logan also took bottle and boob no problem when we mix fed so don't worry about that!! MW even said that nipple confusion is a bit of myth and in some countries they mix feed as the norm.
    Logan always sleeps downstairs for his naps and sleeps well at night so works fine for us!! He also doesn't have set nap times.
    Just go with what you think!!
  • Options
    Totally g/c'ing here - saw on front page!
    The Baby Whisperer made me feel like an inadequate failure of a mum - soooo I decided she could stuff her accidental parenting and decided to trust my instincts instead!
    My ds is a happy healthy 1 year old and it's no thanks to the baby whisperer. Mummy's know best - she's your baby so go for it!

• Options
    Sort of calmed down now! I've moved away from the stupid books. They are good as a sort of guide, but I have to remember that they don't know ME and they certainly don't know my baby. And I've been thinking about the nap thing - do I want to be stuck at home because if my baby doesn't nap in the same way every day she can't nap at all? NO! I want to help my baby to be adaptable and flexible because there will come the time when she naps at Nanny's house, or on holiday.

Thanks for the pep talk ladies - and I'm going to start the ebm on the weekend!
  • Options
    Hi I felt exactly the same as you a week or so ago! My mum got me the baby whisperer book as a semi joke when I was pregnant and I'm a fan of routines so thought I'd give it a go but I've stepped away from it now because I was finding I was constantly clock watching or worrying because I couldn't wake him up after his nap or he was dropping off to sleep straight after his feed so the timings became off. Just not worth the stress when they're this tiny (as the ladies have reminded me in my post about feeling overwhelmed!). Glad to hear you've stepped away from the books!
  • Options
    GC too but I also felt exactly the same, I've now stopped reading it but followed some of the rough guidelines in the book... it's terrible for making you feel totally useless isn't it!!x
  • Options
    Oh tell me about it plumduff/MrsKP! When I read her book I can end up feeling so inadequate and guilty that I can't tell the difference between her overstimulated cry and her "I'm too cold" cry, or whatever else tripe the woman is spouting. The fundamental EASY thing is good for me I have to admit, and I like her night time routine as well (although I would have done that anyway without reading the book).

I have found that some days Liv will go 3 hours in between feeds, but other days she is still on a 2 hour routine. Reading the book she's all like, if they eat before the 3 hours are up that means they are snacking which is bad, but my baby is hungry after 2 hours so I'm not going to deny her food just so that I conform to the routine, it's mean and I did try it once and ended up with a very angry baby and a very upset me!

I just think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! This morning Liv came downstairs and sat on the sofa with hubby while I made a cuppa, and she fell asleep while I was in the kitchen. I'm not then going to schelp her upstairs into her crib, therefore waking her up and making her grizzly, and risk not being able to get her back to sleep. I'd much rather have a baby who can sleep anywhere!

Good on us for ignoring the so called experts and going with our instincts!