Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is anyone else using EASY?

Hi girls

I was just wondering whether anyone else was trying the EASY routine? How are you finding it? I like it's general principles but I am finding it tricky to do it exactly as she says you should. Like, it is so hard to stop my baby falling asleep on the boob, or to try to keep her awake after a feed. Sometimes she will stay awake for a while, mainly in the morning, but then in the afternoon she is just sooo sleepy! And I'm not convinced that I need to swaddle her for every single nap either. Have you adapted it for your own baby?

The thing with these baby "experts" is that they all think THEIR way is the only way, and if your baby doesn't conform you must be doing it wrong somehow, but I'm starting to think that, ok, they know their stuff and have valid ideas, but I know my baby best and if it doesn't work for her or us then I'm not going to do it their way!

I would love to compare your EASY experiences with mine, please post them!!

Sxxx

Replies

• Options
    I have just taken ideas from baby whisperer and Ginas Ford and using them loosely. I try and follow the EASY p[attern by trying to stimulate him after a feed BUT if I find him dropping off then I am happy to let him sleep. I don't swaddle him. And with Gina Ford I look at how much maximum sleep she recommends during a day and try and encourage it with LO but again I don't force it upon him.

I think you have to just look at these experts and take bits out that work for you really.

• Options
    Hi, I've just bought the book in the hope that it might be easier to implement than Gina Ford! Wk One of GF states how long lo should be feeding on each boob, and my lo just doesn't want to conform to those timescales! Sometimes he wants to be on for 10 mins and other times it's 25 mins. I dont see how you can make such a young baby feed for a certain amount of time. I also let my lo fall asleep at night after bfeeding (although I do try winding him and risk waking him!), because it doesn't seem to do any harm at the moment, and as you say, I want my sleep!

Xx
  • Options
    Lol I agree happystrawberry that GF is very very regimented!! I remember being given the book when I was pregnant and I had a compelte panic thinking that was how parenting was meant to be and that my life was going to be spend getting up at regimented hours and timing how long LO nursed on each breast haha.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Gina Ford makes me break out in a cold sweat! Some of her principles make sense, like making sure you feed your baby loads during the day so that they can go longer at night without a feed, but goodness me, how regimented is her day!! Everything was timed down to the exact minute, and I just couldn't see how I would ever be able to remember what I was supposed to be doing, let alone get a very small baby to conform to it! That's really why I like the EASY approach cos it is much more flexible, although even that has its strict bits that don't really make sense. Like you are supposed to avoid using "props" to help your baby fall asleep, and yet she advocates using a dummy to help your baby fall asleep, as well as the sush-pat thing: so what are those if they're not "props"??? And I am still struggling to keep her awake after a feed for anything like as long as she claims a 3 week old baby can stay awake for. But in general I think it's a good plan cos it is so flexible - I'm just not going to stick to it religiously.
  • Options
    Logan can't stay awake long enough for GF or EASY lol.
  • Options
    What are the principles for the easy plan then? x
  • Options
    THe very basic idea is that you follow the EASY pattern.
    E - Eat
    A - Activity
    S - Sleep
    Y - You time.

So theoretically, after baby eats, he then has some awake/activity time before going to sleep. So no specific timings like in the Gina Ford book.