Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

DS already in cotbed in his own room (6 wks old)

Has anyone else moved their baby to the Nursery ???

He was born 8lb 1oz and has been weighed today at 11lb 15oz (just shy of 12lb) he is already touching top and bottom of the moses basket (which has been at the bottom of the bed) and he loves to sleep with his arms right out (like Jesus !!!)

Since Sunday night he has been in the Nursery in his cotbed (cotbed does not fit in our room)

I can safely say that he has slept sooooo much better....last night he went 7 hours......WHAT A RESULT !!!!

I do understand the extra risk of cot death but after talking to the HV Today she has put my mind at rest.......I have a thermometer in the room and make sure his blankets are tucked under his arms so that there is no way they will move up and of course he is feet to foot.....

DLAM xxxx

Replies

• Options
    it is something i have definitely been considering for a little while now actually but waiting for a week when oh here so if it goes badly i have someone with me the day after lol. Maybe next weekend. X
  • Options
    Dexter is 3 and a half weeks old and we moved him into his room a few nights ago. He was only going to fit in his moses another couple of weeks but he's so noisy in his sleep and he likes to stretch out so the Moses just wasn't wide enough and needless to say none of us were getting much rest. I was (still am!) paranoid about cot death but we've got one of those sensor mat monitors which gives me such peace of mind!
  • Options
    Tobey is 19 days old, as of 2 days he is no longer in newborn clothes, now in 0-3 months, he was weighed yesterday at 10lbs1, and has i feel only a day or 2 left in his moses basket, its so sad how quickly they grow up!!
    i was thinking of starting him on his day naps in the cot bed to get used to it, i do put him in there already whilst im tidying his nursery or getting the bath ready for him and he settles quite nicely so hoping fingers crossed he enjoys it more than the moses basket, he is also a very noisy baby, dont know how i will cope with him not being next to me! ive got the baby monitor that has the sensor mat, but just wondering about what to put him in in his growbag im thinking verst and sleepsuit still, and then the bag with probably no blanket? of course it depends on the room temperature.
    Also are you guys using anything on the sides to stop them, rolling or moving around too much? and are you putting the end of the grow bag to the bottom of the cot - as their feet dont reach the bottom of the bag yet, or are you tucking the end of the bad under the matress or something so they really cant move??
    heres hoping he sleeps for longer periods too in the cot!
  • Options
    Poppy is fast outgrowing her moses basket so she'll have to go in her cot bed soon but I really don't want her to be in a different room to me, I can't bear the thought! She's always been a bad sleeper and people keep telling me that she may be much better in the cot but I know I'll be so paranoid if I'm not next to her. We're in the process of moving house and hoping to exchange next week and move before Christmas and in the new house the cot will fit in our bedroom so I'm hoping we might be able to wait until then. I've bought a cot divider from mothercare so that the cot doesn't look so huge and we can put Poppy at the top and still keep the cot top changer at the bottom. I do feel sad that my baby's growing up so fast - I had to put all of her newborn and up to one month clothes away in a box last week as she's outgrown them all.
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this too. Liv is 4 weeks today and at the moment she sleeps in a crib in our room. It's ok at the moment - lots of growing room and she sleeps well in it but I'm thinking that if I wait til she is six months before moving her to the nursery she probably won't want to go! But at the moment I can't bear not to be near her, so I think I will look to start moving her in the New Year. See I've been thinking that cos they recommend weaning at 6 months, AND moving her into the cot at 6 months that that would be far too much upheaval in one go, and rather unfair on her really. So I think she will end up in her nursery well before we start weaning her, so she has time to adjust to one thing before the other is foisted on her!

While we are on the subject of sleeping, at what point can you start using sleeping bags? At the moment we saddle Liv but she is nearly too big for it so I was thinking of putting her in a gro bag instead of buying more swaddles - that way her arms can be free which she does like.
  • Options
    We tried Poppy in a sleeping bag as a friend suggested that I feed her in one she would be more likely to go down in her basket as the warmth would still be there. But she got so hot! I think it was because the basket is so enclosed and the sleeping bag had so much excess material as it's big. We're going to try it again when she goes in the cotbed. Poppy's the same and loves to have her arms free, she hates being swaddled and hates it if I put her blanket over her arms so I think she'll love the sleeping bag.
    xx
  • Options
    Logan has been in sleeping bags for a few weeks. I need to buy some more though cos he keeps being sic on them and I struggle to wash them in time!!
  • Options
    we've been putting alex in a sleeping bag for a couple of weeks too he's quite a blanket kicker! but we've also been putting a cellular blanket over him too as our room is quite cold sometimes.
    He'll have to go into a cot soon as he's out growing his moses basket - trouble is that we were hoping to get to Christmas as we've not got the money at the moment to buy the cotbed we want, we were going to ask for donations towards it from family as his Christmas present.
    He's beginning to sleep thru as well and can go from 12-7, and he's very quite I keep having to get up to check he's still with us!

B x
  • Options
    WOW 12-7!! THats amazing. Logan went 7 hours last night but I think it was a fluke lol.
    I think Logan willsleep better in his own cotbed but I am just not ready lol!!!
  • Options
    Cor 12-7 I'm well jealous!

Think I will try the sleeping bag in a couple of weeks then. I think they go by weight of baby and as I have a huge baby I'm sure she will fit in them.

Out of interest bethybobs how old is Alex?
  • Options
    Alex will be 8 weeks on Tuesday - he was a Sept baby - we're hanging out in Oct!

Also something I didn't mention was that he doesn't like being put his back to sleep - we either put him on his side or on his front - I expect a visit from the HV anyday now to take him away due to bad parenting!!!

We buggered up the feeding timing yesterday and he woke up at 4am this morning - but that was a good 6 hours after we last fed him, so he would have gone from 12-6 if we'd got it right!

Weightwise Alex was 12lb 8oz on Monday at his 6 (nearly 7) week check - and we have just upped his milk to 6oz. He's a biggun!

B x