Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice re bottle feeding

Hi all my little boy is nearly 4 wks and have been bottle feeding since 3 wks. Iam worried that he is taking too much milk he was 4 wks early but was 6 lb 110z wen born. He now weighs 8lb.
He struggled to eat in the begining only taking an 0z and gradually increased. But now will quite happily take 5oz at a time.
Last nite i gave him 5 oz at 8pm and he was still hungry at 10pm so gave him another 0z then he was hungry at 11pm so gave another. He was crying with hunger.
Is the norm? my hubs is worried im giving him too much and we dont want him to get too heavy too quick.
Thanx
xx

Replies

• Options
    maybe he needs hungry baby milk hun (comfort milk) to fill him up a bit more? I'd speak to your health visitor about it. My lo takes around 4ozs every 3-4hrs and sleeps all night, im not an expert though so hopefully someone else will have some advice for you xx
  • Options
    Could it just be a growth spurt? There does tend to be one at about 4 weeks - not sure how it works in babies who are born early though. I would maybe stick with it for a few days and then try talking to the HV.
  • Options
    yes i was thinking of using comfort milk as he gets alot of trapped wind and i have to wind him for ages and have hurt my arm.
    Was also thinking it could b a growth spurt. Even tho he was early he was only a few days out of being 37 wks so wasnt really that prem. HV is visiting wed so will ask then. I was just worried i would b stretching his stomach and then he will always need more. xx
  • Options
    According to my HV - you can't really give them too much. He will just bring back up any excess milk so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • Options
    I was told to steer clear of the hungry baby stuff as it's hard to digest. I too worried about over feeding but was advised that this couldn't happen as a baby will sick up if he's over eaten!

We give our 5 week old between 30 and 35 ounces a day - way more than suggested on the box!

Lx
  • Options
    thanku for the advice ladies. Think he must b having a growth spurt will just give him what he wants and check with hv wed. xx
  • Options
    The Hv told me not to go with the hungry baby formula as it has the same amount of calories as the normal one but more protein which takes longer to digest....therefore the baby still needs the calories to grow...

I'm sticking with the aptimil 1 and let him feed on demand

I agree with snugglenush, you cannot overfeed a baby as they will bring up what they don't want.....

As DS is sleeping longer at night he is feeding 180ml every two hours in the morning...ie 7am 9am 11am......to catch up...

DLAM xxx
  • Options
    I'am offering my lo 5 oz at a time and he had 7oz in the night. think i was being to stingey with feeds and he was getting over hungry and causing more wind. Will just let him take what he needs. xx
  • Options
    GC (as I often seem to do here!), but my daughter was having about 5-6oz every 3 hours from 4 weeks and she sometimes had 7 or 8oz at her last feed as they like to stock up so they can sleep longer at night.

She's now 10 weeks old and still only has 6oz, so although they can take more to begin with, it does settle down.

Some babies just need more food, and my HV said to ignore the packet guidelines as all babies are different. You can't overfeed a baby as they do sick up what they don't need. xx
  • Options
    thanks mrs kp that is reasurring. He def wants 5oz-6 most feeds now. He must be having a growth spurt.
    Was worried he would would just keep wanting more and more. He is gaining weight quite fast lol.
    Can tell he is going to be quite tall though.
    xx