Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Our Birth Story

This wont be very long as all in all labour was very quick and straight forward =)

It all started on Friday the 1st of Oct - the day we were moving house! OH had dropped me and Sam (our 3 year old) off at our new house and was bringing stuff over and I was doing the putting away. I'd woke up that morning feeling rough and just felt downright miserable so I wasnt in high spirits during the move. Around 2pmish I began shaking and feeling very cold. (the shakes continued until around 10pm) and started experiancing my first contractions - which I just passed off as braxton hicks! my stomach went brick hard but there was no pain, just an uncomfortable tight feeling. This continued for the rest of the day. I even went into to tesco to buy matching hand towels for my new bathrooms (????) all whilst having contractions - we even went to mcdonalds :lol: they were getting a bit painful by that point, but not pain in a way like a period pain - more like a new crushing pain Id never felt before (my labour before with sam was induced so Id never experianced natural contractions). By 10pm they were really painful, but still irregular, so I was still in denial about being in labour :lol: I had to stop and breathe through them (along with some crying lol) I phoned the hospital who told me to wait off as they werent regular (the whole time I was on the phone I didnt have any so the midwife didnt really believe me..)
My house at this point was in chaos - boxes everywhere! Still I continued putting stuff away despite contractions being every 3 mins or so. By 1am they were every 2 minutes but only lasting 40 seconds - they were excuciatingly (sp?) painful!! We decided we'd better head to the hospital! I had a quick shower (that was amusing - trying to shave my lady bits whilst contracting - not the easiest!!!) and drove through to my mums to drop Sam off.

When we got to the hospital around 1.30am I was checked and was 4cm - given a sweep which made the contractions a bit longer but they were still every 2 minutes. I was given gas and air which was aaaaaamazing!!!!! So great for helping concentrate on during the contractions! I am so proud to say I managed to do it all on gas and air - and I probably thing its because labour was so fast - I had everything going when I gave birth to Sam so I was dead chuffed!

So for the next 2 hours I bounced up and down on the birthing ball whilst puffing on the gas and air. OH massaged my back which felt AMAZING as the contractions really really hurt in my back.

I was perfectly calm during the whole 1st stage - no screaming - just breathing and focusing. When I felt his head begin to move down thats when I started freaking out! The contractions were one on top of the other and when I started being sick I knew that meant the pushing part was right around the corner!

I decided I wanted to give birth standing up - so there I was - standing holding on to the bed and the midwife practically had her fact level with my bum (oh the shame!) and the BAM! my waters EXPLODED in her face!! OH said she wiped her face with a towel and carried on - what a pro! :lol: There was meconium in the waters (poor midwife) so she called in another lady and checked the babies heartbeat. As soon as I saw this other woman enter the room and I heard the word "meconium" I decided I'd had enough of trying not to push and being scared - and started pushing. The ring of fire I was so scared of bloody hurt - cant deny that - I screamed and cursed at the top of my lungs (stupid midwife told me to be quiet as Id scare the other ladies who'd never had a baby before - not exactly helpful! but being so noisy was helping me somehow?) scratched OHS arms and hands to death poor lad and finally - after only 2 hours in the hospital (:lol: ) I pushed him out standing up at 3.40am woo! image feeling his body coming out was the WEIRDEST thing I have ever felt!!! He gave a good cry when he came out and was placed directly onto my chest as soon as he'd been checked over (because of the meconium) Then for some reason unknown (id had the injection to deliver it) the midwife decided she would start pulling to get the placenta out - omg it bloody hurt!! she was yanking and yanking (OH looked like he might pass out lol) and after 5 mins it eventually came out (yet again weirdest feeling ever! yuck!) I dont understand and probably wont ever, why she done that but a week after I gave birth I passed a large piece of placenta - so I think it was unnessesary and could of caused me an infection :x ) Then she checked me for any cuts (by shoving fingers up me WTF? luckily I had the gas and air but oh lordy have they ever heard of being gentle?!) luckily I had no cuts or stitches yay image )

So Jack Andrew Fraser was born at 3.40am on the 2nd of Oct 2010 weighing 7lbs 7oz and 49 cm long. We are breastfeeding and its going great. He's currently going through a growth spurt so its hard work but generally hes a very good boy :\)

Struggling a bit trying to manage 2 kids but Im sure I will get there!

Sorry its a bit jumbled and not written that great - got my hands full and very tired! lol!

Emilie, Sam and baby Jack 17 days old xxx

Replies

• Options
    wow what a fantastic story!!

I love the sound of pushing standing up!
    Congrats to you and the whole family!
    xxxx
    37+4