Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby HATES sleeping in basket/carrycot.

Hi all.

So long time no speak. Keypad on Laptop broken so typing with the on screen one. Yuk!

So as the title suggests, Ava detests being put down and in particular, in her Carrycot.
She is 3 weeks tomorrow and is generally well behaved and bf' ing every 3 hours in the day however, night time is another story.

Ava appears more alert after her feeds and wants to feed for longer. Even when she comes off the boob she is difficult to settle and will not be put down. She winges for cuddles and when I try to put her in her Carrycot, she lasts 2 mins before screaming.

Had her in the bed but petrified so I don't sleep.......Suggestions please. x

Replies

• Options
    We had this with Logan and it turned out to be wind! So we now use Infacol (he also turned out to have reflux so is on infant gavison too). However, we also tried putting him on his side to sleep ( i know it is meant to be a big no no) but it really helped. He now sleeps on his back fine in his basket but I trhink that is partly down to us having his colic and reflux a bit more under control.
    It might not be that but it is worth maybe looking for the signs that she still has some wind.
  • Options
    I was going to say either wind or maybe even reflux (silent or not). I was advised with our little one (who they think has reflux) to raise one end of the moses basket/ pram base slightly by putting something under the mattress.. Also as snugglenush says, try infacol and talk to the health visitor about possible reflux/ prescription for gaviscon
  • Options
    Hey MrsBabyBump

How are you and Ava getting on?

I agree with the other ladies that it sounds like wind. I put Isabella's arms over my shoulder and make sure the rest of her body is straight - including her legs and just sit there for 10mins this usually brings up the wind.

Sounds like the breastfeeding is going really well! Have you thought about one of those co-sleeper type cots so she is near you but not actually in bed with you?

Melissa xxx
  • Options
    We have a similar problem with Biba, we saw the health visitor today and she recommended we use something called Colief as it actually tackles the cause of the wind, whereas infacol just makes it easier to bring wind up - hubby is getting some today so will let you know how we get on with it.

We have also started to use a dummy to help her settle at night, although she does fight sleep and we have to help her to keep it in (which gives you arm ache), we have not had any problem with her latch when it comes to feeding as a result which is something that i did worry about.