Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Infant gaviscon worries.

Hi everyone, had to take my little girlie to the docs today as she is v wheezy & hoarse & he thinks reflux could be the cause. She often wakes up panicking as she's choking on sick even though we have raised her Moses basket quite considerably at one end to try and prevent this. Anyway, my worry is this, doctor said to mix with water or ebm and give it to her in a bottle. She's only 2 wks old & I'm so worried it will put her off breast feeding. I feel like my body failed her during delivery, (traumatic emergency forcep), and I feel like it's making up for it now by feeding her well, (she's piling on the pounds!), I think it might be because of the traumatic delivery but I felt so upset at the thought of not being able to feed her myself, despite it feeling so difficult at times, like 4am or when it feels like my nipple is literally going to split in two! I was just wondering about people's experiences with combination feeding or expressing to leave a bottle and nipple confusion. She feeds really well so hopefully she'll be ok. What do you think? Sorry if this is a bit rambly, I'm so ridiculously exhausted and tearful it's unreal! Am trying to do too much and stressing myself out, actually, not trying to do too much, it just happens, first I had to get to the docs, then my friend came round for lunch as I haven't seen her for ages, then my mum came round, she seems to want to come & see the baby every day and I said no for the last few days to make the most of paternity leave, she then asked me to email photos, so I said this arvo would be good a few days ago, not realising how tired I would be so I was a real grumpy cow, I just wanted her to leave us in peace as I don't feel I've properly seen my baby in days! Oh, and it was hubby's 1st day back at work today and I missed him and found it so hard without his help. Sorry. This is a real miserable self pitying post. I'm so sad today!! But any advice on the nipple confusion issue would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Options
    Awww you poor thing!!! We all have sad days - I hope you feel a bit happier soon.

I successfully combination fed ds from 3 days and he never had an issue switching between bottle and nipple. If you are really worried about it what about using a little cup?? Or - a syringe thing like u get in the infacol bottles?
    Hope this is useful to you.
  • Options
    Hi hun. Poppy was prescribed infant gaviscon last week and the GP told me that I would either have to give it to her with cooled boiled water or EBM in a bottle. I tried the water option first and she threw up after just a few mouthfulls and it was horrible - she was more sick than she has ever been. I, like you, was really worried about giving her a bottle and ruining our well established breastfeeding. So instead I have been expressing a small amount of milk each day and using that to mix with the gaviscon, following the instructions for mixing with water (so 5ml first until the powder is disolved and then 10ml more) and I then feed it to her with a tiny syringe. It's working really well and in fact she seems to love it!!! She hasn't been sick once and she doesn't seem to mind the taste at all (I have read that the gaviscon tastes horrible which is why it probably didn't go down well when mixed with water). It's easy to give with a syringe, I just lie her on her changing mat and make sure I have a muslin to hand as there are always over spills!
    Good luck, I hope your LO takes it and feels better and that you feel better too.
    xx
  • Options
    Oh thanks ladies! That's really helpful, I will try a syringe first and if that doesn't work, I'll be less worried about trying a bottle. I think I'm just finding it all a bit overwhelming, it's been nonstop visitors/appointments/texts & calls since she's been born and I just want to spend a whole week sleeping & working on feeding please!! It doesn't help that my little niblet seems to be nocturnal and I keep missing out on my day naps with everything going on. I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow as I don't have to do anything until 2.30 when she's going to the baby clinic to be weighed. So a pj and sleep day! And Thursday is completely free, yippee! Thanks loads for the support, can always rely on some kind words, helpful advice and a bit of a boost on here!
  • Options
    If you have a very good milk supply could it be that she is taking too much? I'm sure my baby often likes to suckle for comfort and that she isnt always hungry. Sometimes she's on the breast for ages!

I used to swap breasts after 30mins but i found that this seemed to make her more sick. I think because she was getting loads from the first breast then another lot from the 2nd. Also the first part of the breast milk from each breast is more watery so i think they are more likely to vomit if they finish on the watery milk.

I found it was better when i left her on the same side no matter how long the feed. She probably doesnt actually get much near the end of the feed but is still sucking so she is happy. Also i try to sit her up and talk to her and wind her regularly to allow some of the milk to digest before putting her back onto the breast.

Dont know if this would help?

[Modified by: mrsmermaid on November 17, 2010 12:14 PM]

• Options
    Thanks mrsmermaid, that might well be the case as it seems to pump out, i'm trying to hand express a little off first as it just gets messy otherwise. I think she was having a growth spurt the other day as she was feeding for about an hour and a half and taking from both sides but now she's just doing about 15-20 mins on one side and is full and happy so I've stopped offering the other side. I think the end of the feed is the good stuff, the midwife described it to me as being like double cream, she said that if you ever notice them doing a sort of fluttery suckle, it's like you savouring a pudding and making the most of every mouthful, I've noticed her doing it now, (not every feed,) it's such a strange sensation and lovely to think of her enjoying her meal!!
    I've realised that she gets really stressed after a feed and I thought she was still hungry so kept trying to feed her some more but actually, if I put her on my chest and wrap my arms around her tightly, or swaddle her and make shushing noises very close to her, she actually calms down and falls asleep, so is not really hungry. I'll definately try burping her more frequently.
    I feel tons better today, went to the baby clinic to have her weighed and she's 8lb 15 & a half! She's only 17 days old & was 8lb 2 at birth, dropped to 7lb 11 and has now shot up so I must be doing something right!! I also had the whole morning in my dressing gown cuddling on the sofa, didn't even clean my teeth until hubby came home for lunch at 1, and it was heaven! Then I managed to get out to the baby clinic on time and have a lovely walk with the dog by the sea. Just what I needed! Sleepy now though! Nap time!! :\)