Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question re bleeding.

Just a quick one, how long did you bleed for? Little un is 3 wks on tues & I'm still bleeding bright red blood, it's still quite heavy and I've got big probs as I'm experiencing some sort of reaction to all pads and have had to stop wearing them so am trying to get by using tissue, not ideal! Just wondering how long it went on for everyone else so I can get some idea of when it might stop!!!

Replies

• Options
    It was easily a good 4 and a bit weeks for me. I then had one HUGE bleed one night and it all stopped.
    But now my AF has arrived lol. URGH.
  • Options
    Mine continued through week five. I had the same question! Just stopped. I continued to have bright red blood but it wasn't as heavy as a period -- lighter than that, and the clots had stopped by week three or so. They told me I was more likely to bleed because I was so active. Scented pads bothered my stitches...don't know if that is what's happening to you? I was told that if it gets really heavy, and you notice a change, you should call your health provider right away. I've found the postpartum stuff is worse than the pregnancy!
  • Options
    First time around I bled for 8.5 weeks, stopped for a week then got AF.No-one warns you for how long it will last the books tell you it will be 2-4 weeks but for a lot of people it's longer. Mine has just stopped (I think) today at 4 weeks, woohoo!!

Are you in pain at all? Sometimes it can be the sign of an infection if you had stitches and you shouldn't be getting any clots at this stage. Is the blood smelly at all?

Have you tried using 'reusable' pads? You canmake your own using fleecy material - haven't done it myself but I use fleece soakers for reusable nappies and it works brilliantly!
  • Options
    I'm still bleeding and my daughter will be 7 weeks on Tuesday......and she was born by c-section!! I was a bit worried but my doctor said it's perfectly normal, that said, it's only watery blood and definately not heavy x
  • Options
    Oh no snugglenush! Af already?! Rubbish!!
    I haven't used scented pads eliza, but I do have stitches, they seem to be healing fairly well, as far as I can tell, I'm a bit squeamish about checking them! I've been pretty active too, got the dog to walk and just had so much that needs doing, it's not easy to just do nothing is it?!
    Colligreen, I hadn't thought about trying to make some, that's a good idea, I don't think I've got an infection, I did ask the midwife about it on her last visit last week and she said if I had an infection she'd have been able to smell it when examining my stitches-nice! To be honest, she was a bit crap! Got a docs app on tues so will get properly checked then. I think it might be thrush actually, as if my poor bits haven't been through enough! I do usually get a bit irritated if I have to use pads for my af so maybe I need to get some unbleached hypoallergenic ones, or make some! Will be cheaper! Postpartum is a nightmare really isn't it?! Dealing with stitches, bleeding, pain, difficulty sitting down and a new baby who needs constant care, long sitting periods feeding, up and downing doing nappies, nature's cruel really!! Can't wait to be 100% again to be able to get back to my normal active self!!