Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What would you do?? Advice on breastfeeding.......

(Also in Baby and Breastfeeding)

Hi girls,

So here's the deal - Lo is almost 6 weeks old and in the past 6-7 days he has started feeding roughly every 50 mins, the times between feeding seems to have got less and less as the weeks have gone on, so as you can imagine my nipples are very sore. Also, he's packed on a few pounds in the past couple of weeks, which I'm really happy about, but as I've had a cesaerean every time he leans on my gut to feed it has started to make the area around my incision start to feel extremely tender and uncomfortable again.

When he's feeding he now only seems to want to feed for around 5-10 mins and then doesn't want anymore. I read somewhere that I should try to wind him or change him and then try him on the same breast again but he doesn't seem interested.

At the moment all the pros go in favour of turning to formula feeding instead. I don't want to give up breastfeeding but I don't think I can continue doing it if it carries on as it is at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any advice
KM xxx

Replies

• Options
    This BF lark is so difficult isn't it? The last few days I've been so tempted to reach for the formula but I'm too stubborn to give in.

I think around 6 weeks they are due a growth spurt, do you think this could be causing the frequent feeding? Are you still having the time to eat/drink properly? If you're not this could be affecting the milk which starts a vicious circle of more frequent feeding.

My daughter only feeds for about 10 mins at a time, and never wants the 2nd breast. Do you think he could have become a more efficient feeder so needing to spend less time on the boob?

Do you have Lansinoh cream you can put on to help? Also nipple shields may help gve your nipples a rest, they helped me in the early days when I was very sore, Or, could you express a couple of feeds so you get a rest from suckling, and you can see exactly what he is taking - whether he is fussing or is actually really hungry?

Good luck, and remember you have to do what is best for mum and baby. Sending hugs your way xx
  • Options
    Thanks Colligreen,
    Yes I'm eating and drinking, I always ensure I've got a pint of water next to me when I'm feeding him.
    I've got the Lansinoh cream which I agree does work and have tried the nipple shields which didn't really fit, although now my nipple has been tugged about a bit more I might give them another try.
    I've been expressing since he was born which I've found really does help me get an idea of how much he's feeding.
    I agree it's bloody hard but everyones advice on here has encouraged me to keep persevering, he has been slightly better today although it's a case of letting him grizzle for a few minutes instead of picking him up the minute I hear him crying for food, he's definitely got a unique cry for being hungry.
    Thank you x
  • Options
    Hi hun,

Sorry to G/C but saw your post and some of the nasty, catty replies on Baby.
    I had my DS in July by emergency c-section. In the recovery room, he latched on to my boob for his first feed. Before he was born I told myself I would definitely try and persevere at BF'ing.
    However, I was in so much pain after my c-section that I could not physically do it. DS was born at 7pm, and I was on the ward by 11pm, at this point I was dosed up with morphine for the pain and I was out of it. When he woke wanting feeding, I couldn't lift him, let alone get him to latch on. So the nurses had to feed him with formula, while I lay in bed helpless. I was gutted that I couldn't get up to my son image
    Anyway, we left hospital and I tried with BF'ing again, but I was in so much pain with my scar that I just couldn't do it. I was exhausted and 6 days after having him, I as admitted back to hospital with a womb infection image
    DS had been on formula for the days before, as obviously he needed feeding!
    I really admire you for persevering with the BF'ing, even with the pain of the c-section scar, that I can totally relate to.
    I would have loved to have BF Samuel, but things weren't to be.
    He's now 4 months old and is totally thriving on his formula. I hope with the next one that I can BF.
    Ignore the nasty comments over in Baby - I was critiscised the other day over there, so I stay well away now and post any queries in my lovely Born in June forum (yes I had a July baby, but he was meant to be a Junie!) lol
    Good luck hun.
    xx
  • Options
    Hello ladies,

Thanks for your messages and no, Mrs Amanda, those negative replies on the other thread didn't bother me in the slightest.
    I don't get emotionally involved in all the shananigans on these forums, some of it is actually quite entertaining! I used to go on You and Your Wedding and it got really bitchy over there at times, but hilarious too.
    The positive feedback I got on here though was brilliant and helped me immensely.

Regarding BF, yeah everything's going really well thank you, I'm feeling so much more positive about it and it really is down to all the ladies on here.

By the way, I went for my post natal check today and got the Lansinoh on prescription, so thank you to the ladies that suggested that, it's saved me a few quid!

The best part is, the doc says I'm ok to drive! YAY!!!!!!!
    The world is my oyster. image

K-Moo xxx