Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hair loss

My hair's been falling out for about 6 weeks now. In massive great handfuls, I leave hair everywhere I go, car seats, bed, all over the baby, and I'm sick of it now!!! Does anyone know how long this will go on for? I'm amazed I have any left tbh!!

Replies

• Options
    i feel the same mine is everywhere thought i got away with it as it didnt start falling out till lo was at leat 3 months.

Sure it will stop soon hun. It just 9 months worth of hair loss that were getting rid of.

• Options
    You could make a bushy wig from the amount I've lost!!

When I was pregnant I was going to get my hair thinned out and one of my friends pre-warned me that there might be some hair loss later down the line so I didn't, thank goodness!

I'm also finding stray hairs everywhere and my hair is dark brown so it's very obvious! The worst time is after washing it and just gently pulling on the ends of my hair and watching how many have fallen out.
  • Options
    Hi mine has been doing the same and its horrible! Mine didn't start til Dexter was about 3 months old so really thought i'd got away with it image
  • Options
    Same here - getting so fed up of having to hoover more often to get rid of my hair lol!!

• Options
    Ha! Not just me then! It must be the magic 3 month mark, cos I too thought I'd escaped it. Totally agree km, I just sit there for ages after it's washed pulling bits out, doesn't matter how much I brush it, there's always more. Feel a bit like a dog moulting! I wouldn't mind as much but it drives me crazy if it's tickling me and I'm constantly fishing around in my top trying to find them, I must look demented! Being blonde and wearing a lot of 'slimming' black isn't working out too well either!!
  • Options
    yep me too, im driving my hubby mad with the mass of hair blocking the plughole in the shower, we are spending a small fortune on drain clear stuff lol!!

Anyone any idea how long it lasts for??
  • Options
    gosh isnt it funny that its all hit us at the 3 month mark, what a strange thing the body is!

ive always had thick hair but i actually started getting worried at the amount im loosing till my hairdresser reassured me!

on the hair thing, i got a really hairy bellybutton when pregnant and the hairs have vanished this week!! hurrayyyyy i was getting fed up of hubbie telling me to wax it he he
  • Options
    Yes...I lost so much I had to bob my hair shoulder length all one length. It started to stop a little after the 5 month mark. Just recently. It has only been a couple weeks, but I've almost forgotten about it...so it gets better!

But, a funny story,I was carrying around a lint roller because I had hair stuck to my black jacket all the time, and the other day I was at a shop and feeling a little better about myself because I fit into a pair of prepregnancy jeans (totally made of spandex so don't really count, but who cares) and this lady comes up to me and says excuse me...you have a lint roller stuck to your back! imageops: I was walking around with the big lint roller stuck to my back and Benjamin strapped to my front. Too funny.
  • Options
    That is very very funny eliza!! At least you made an effort to keep tidy, I think I resemble cousin it's hairier sister. I think it's pointless me trying to look nice, I made a miniscule effort last week and wore a pair of very low heeled boots, all the same, being so unused to them, I really tottered about, must have looked so silly wobbling around carrying the car seat, (stupidly heavy & awkward at the best of times!), so it's back to the uggs, and soon, flip flops!!!! Yippee! My ultimate footwear of choice! However smart I look when I go out, within the hour I'm covered in snot, sick and drool so what's the point?! I wonder if they do those full sleeved toddler bibs in a size 14?? image
  • Options
    Ha that's funny Eliza!! Hate that all of us have been suffering hair loss but at least we're not alone eh?! Mine start falling out when DS was about 16 weeks and it seemed to stop about 2 weeks ago when DS was 22 weeks - it drove me crazy and I got really worried about it as I already have very fine hair. So relieved that it looks as though it is finally coming to an end! Hope it's the same for all of you soon!x
  • Options
    LOL Eliza, that's hilarious.....xx
  • Options
    Oh the hairloss has been SO bad! Hubby has been going crazy because the plughole is always full of hair and the hoover is always jammed up! I hate it!!!! I had my hair cut last week end and my hair dresser said 'oh you're really shedding!' as if I'm some kind of animal!!

fairydust - I feel exactly the same!! I live in my uggs and can't wait to get the flipflops out! When I do make an effort and put something nice on Poppy is sick on it within minutes (or when she was tiny she'd do a nice explosive poo!) I've given up and wear the same old comfy clothes and flat boots - I'm sure my hubby thinks I'm a real treat image

xx
  • Options
    If the hair loss is really really bad it might be worth speaking to your gp. As everyone had said it really is something that happens and often it will settle in time.

I found out after my first baby that the hormones had knocked my thyroid out. Part of the symptoms is hair loss and extreme tiredness - a simple blood test and a few tablets has helped dramatically.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-over-active/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Dont forget that the thicker your hair is the more you will have kept and unfortunately the more that will fall out, the longer it is the worse it seems.

Dont get scared by any of this I am the only person I know with this but I know of a few people who were tested by their gp's just in case.
  • Options
    Oh YES! After my first- nothing, but with fifi.. The 3 month mark and Im shedding all over the shop! After I wash my hair, and brush it through my hairbrush is full of hair and I just lob the hair down the loo! The other day my ds (3yrs old) ran in from the bathroom screaming and crying "theres a rat in the loo mummy!" lol

My poor hubby even pulled one out of his dinner last week - HEAVE- so hope it stops! I keep moaning about it to my mum.. And I shouldnt as the chemo has now taken it toll on her lovely locks x
  • Options
    Me too, around 3 months too. If i put conditioner on my hair then run my fingers though it it horrible. Fairy dust im with you on the tickling bit, feel really silly all the time fishing it out, people must think i have a fetish with my own boobs.lol. I did get my hair cut last week and it does seem to have helped a little, either that or the hair just isnt as long,ha.

Oh eliza that is funny..xxxx
  • Options
    Jemcol, I didn't have the hairy belly button but I still have a brown line from the belly button down, I used to think that it was marking the exit route when I was preggo! My mum had one hair that grew on her tummy when she was pregnant with me and she was so attached to it!

Happy-mrs-s, I'm so with you on the comfy clothes, and the sick, or snot, or drool! I always have something on my shoulder! Nice clothes are more of a pain to wash-5 times a week!!!! Hubby did actually mention my lack of style recently, I nearly stomped my comfy flat shoe & clocked him one!! image Git! Especially as he's not exactly setting the fashion world alight!

Jojums, thanks for posting that, I'll deff keep an eye on it and be aware if it doesn't stop soon. Glad the tablets are helping.

Palmtree, that is absolutely hilarious!!! I do that too, I've never seen hubby look so disgusted!! Sorry to hear about your mum, maybe having some normal chat helps take her mind off it. I always say things without thinking and afterwards kick myself for being insensitive but if I mention it the person has never noticed as much as me. Hope you're doing ok and the lo's help keep your spirits up when it gets stressful.

Sorry if I've missed anyone-too tired to think anymore!!! image
  • Options
    Angel, the amount I get my boobs out for feeds and the constant ferreting about for hairs, I must have flashed half the country by now!!!