Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning!

I was just reading the post on feeding routines and was wandering what meal everyone started with. We have tried to start weaning a couple of times but C hasnt been interested but she is now 24weeks and i think its time she started with some food, so just wandering what meal best to give first and also how small you pureed food, we tried to give her some tonight and she just gagged on it. I dont remember having any of these problems with my first, she was weaned at 17weeks due to weight loss and seemed to take to her food fine.xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I started giving DD breakfast initially. She hated porridge/baby rice - so i bought some Organix pear/banana with rice and she loved these, the consitancy is perfect for first meals. She quickly then went on to wanting lunch and tea - she loves her food (just like her mummy!) x
  • Options
    Hi,

I started by giving Dexter breakfast just a few baby spoons of fruity baby porridge which he loved then a couple of weeks later I started giving him lunch too which was fruit or veg puree. I think the consistency depends on the food, obviously sweet potato is going to be much stodgier than apple so I guess its just a case of trial and error!
  • Options
    We actually started with tea - although i think most books etc recommend breakfast. It was just the best time of the day for us to be able to sit down quietly and calmly with him. INtroduced brekkie after a few weeks and then lunch was last of all.

Started with rice for a week, then started broadening out with veggies and fruit and porridge etc.

• Options
    Thank you, might try with brekkie in the morning, she wont take baby rice in its own so might try mixing it with some apple or something.xxx
  • Options
    I tend to follow the feeling of if it's something I wouldn't eat i'm not going to give it to Dexter hence not bothering with baby rice. Luckily the fruity baby porridge (think its cow & gate?) it rather tasty lol!
  • Options
    we are going to start weaning to this weekend ds is 23weeks so it was great to read this thread!

think we shall go for breakfast and some fruity porridge too, going to wait till sat that way hubbie is off and can share this fun moment of the first spoon, see what face ds pulls!
  • Options
    Angel, we have had lots of success mixing pear with the baby rice, might be worth a try!
  • Options
    Thanks hun, i did buy some pears tonight at tesco, so maybe give that a go in the morning.xx