Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

episiotomy recovery

(also in labour and birth)

ladies, i had a forcepts birth with episiotomy, however i still dont feel right down below, i get aches in the area, sometimes the way i sit makes it uncomfortable and sorry if tmi but it really hurts when i go to the toilet!

Does anyone else suffer similiar things this far after birth?

Replies

• Options
    Hi Jemcol

I had one too and it can be very uncomfortable at times, as you say, when I sit a funny way. I occasionally get random pains down there, but nothing that lasts very long. They do take me by surprise a bit too. Re going to the loo, I haven't had this.

A bit TMI from a male neighbour of mine... his wife still has pains now and their kids are late 20s!!! (He volunteered that his wife "had been cut"... nice)

If you're worried, maybe check it out with the doc, to make sure its all healed properly.

HTH

Lisa xx image
  • Options
    I Tore with both of mine.. 2nd degree tears.

With my first born, afterwards was a nightmare, intercourse hurt, couldnt even insert tampons, number twos created an achey feeling, it never felt right. With my second, after I tore again, the friendly midwife stitching me got an earful of me explaining the trouble Id had.. She said I should have seen someone about it and it was probably the standard of stitching being unsatisfactory, as its stitching muscle too. She said she'd ensure she stitched well and she did, ive no problems this time!

You should ask Sparkly fairy.. I know she was having perinium treatment x
  • Options
    I was quite lucky in a strange way....I had a bad 3rd degree tear with my birth but as my placenta failed to deliver I had to have surgery to remove it.....at the same time they decided to stitch me up correctly...(legs up in the air etc etc)

As they did a good stitch I really haven't had many issues but I know I should keep up with my pelvic floors but I havent'

If you are still in pain I would go to the doctors....my SIL had corrective surgery 9 months after the birth as she was still in a lot of pain

DLAM XXXXXX
  • Options
    I only had a 1st degree tear that needed a couple of stiches inside and out but im still finding it a bit sore to have sex. Have thought about going to drs about it but keep putting it off.

• Options
    If it's really sore you could see the GP. Two of my friends have had the scar cauterised and are both much better now.

I refused an episiotomy as there is some evidence to say that tearing in the midline heals better as the blood supply is greater. I wouldn't have been able to do this if i'd had forceps though. Like DLAM i had to go to theatre afterwards too which is lucky because i was a complete coward when the midwife so much as touched me after the birth!

Remember, we are only six-seven months down the line and nerve tissue can take up to 18 months to heal properly so there might be some improvement yet. I can't see things on the whole ever going back to how they were for me though, although pain isn't an issue, i feel like i've lost my bits and got someone elses! x
  • Options
    I'm still uncomfortable after my forceps/episiotomy experience. Feels sore sometimes, like it's tugging and hurts to go to the toilet often. I was unlucky enough to get two infections, one from some left placenta, (nice!), and one as the stitches didn't dissolve. At all! I had to have a bunch removed by the nurse. I recently got my notes and it said I was stitched up from the episiotomy and a tear. Noone told me I'd torn but I had been surprised at the length of the scar. I too feel like I've got someone else's bits. I try and avoid the area as much as poss! Sorry to hijack your post with whinging!!!
  • Options
    Hiya!

Palmtree is right - i had to have laser therapy for my episiotomy cuz 3 days after birth, the stitches all unzipped and left a gapping hole (that's how shite i was stitched up after forceps and being cut). The laser therapy just sped up the healing process.

It's ok now - no pain but the occasional twinge if i sit on it for too long and there's def some scar tissue. I would def speak to your GP and see if they can refer you to the physios at your hospital (they did my laser therapy) or for you to see a Gynae consultant who may need to see it.

In the meantime, try massaging almond oil (like before we gave birth) into the perineum to soften it all and see if that helps...it could still all be a bit 'tight' (soz, bit TMI there).

Good luck xxx
  • Options
    good to hear im not the only one with pain but sorry your in pain!!

sparkly fairy what was the laser treatment like?
  • Options
    The laser therapy was painfree really - tingled slightly and felt warm on my skin but it was absolutely brilliant in getting the tear to heal itself quicker than normal (i reckon it would've taken months and prob needed antibiotics/restitching without - it was quite an extensive cut but fortunately not too deep and it had got slightly infected around the actual remaining stitches). I had about 5 therapies over 2 weeks.

Forgot to mention that i get more discomfort now tho with no 2's - not sure if it's related or if it's a normal post pregnancy body thing.

Like mrsmermaid said, it all takes a while to get back to 'normal' again but i'd still say see your GP if only to get reassurance.

SF xxx