Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

please help :-( Im a wally.

Please help ladies..

When my ds (3yrs old) was 18mths old, I had the most horrifying experience of my life.image one minute he was happily munching on segments of apple the next he went still. Staring at me.. Eyes wildly staring at me with such fear in them.. And mouth hanging open. My little boy was choking. I conjoured up all my first aid training knowlege and grabbed him , laid him head towards floor along my arm and gave him several blows to the back. I sat him back up and his stare wasnt wild anymore.. It was blank, he was turning purple and he was floppy. I actually thought I was losing him. I rang 999 on speaker phne and continued to attempt to save him. It felt like ages, but the apple flew out and my little boy cried, a noise I was so relieved to hear!!

Any way, its have affected me 2years on. I am terrified to give Felicity finger food image shes 6 and a half mths, she has no teeth but has hard gums, and can sit up independantly. I gave her some toast the other day she was delighted- sucking and noshing on it with a big grin.. My heart was in my mouth.. Terrified I snatched it from her and chucked it away image

Please help girls, im a wally and need a kick up the jacksie!! Your lo's have been fine havnt they! HELP! X

Replies

• Options
    How did you get over it with DS, as it must have taken quite a bit of courage to give him finger food again - if you can get over it once you will have the resolve to get through your anxiety again.

Biba is the same age and is also without teeth yet so i worry about how she will chew but she has just polished off 3 carrot puffs - these are the only things i will give her as they go all mushy when wet - perhaps they could be a good place to start?
  • Options
    I was thinking about this earlier today - it might seem a bit OTT but have you tried talking to a counsellor about it? Or there might be someone at a surestart place that could help. Can completely understand why you would be so nervous about it still and if you still feel like its affecting you maybe it would be worth talking to someone to put you at ease?

Hope you get sorted soon

• Options
    Thank you girls!

With Eoin, he only started having apple again at nursery when he started 4 mths ago!! I had never let him have apple again till then! image

I only seemed worried about apple with Eoin back then, but now with Finger food time approaching with Fifi I felt the fear re-surface, but for ALL finger foods! I think I will go and see the hv.. And try to nip this in the bud, Im giving her lumpy puree, its just the finger foods image

Will try the puffs too x x x
  • Options
    PT - i'm completely paranoid too and i have no reason to be - what you went through must have been one of the most frightening things to have to experience so i don't blame you for being cautious and worried.

I was going to suggest the lumpier foods first to build your confidence then gradually progress. There's no law that says the babies must be having finger foods now so go at your own pace.

If it makes you feel better, i only give B the puffs and when i ventured to soft carrot stick earlier, i spent the whole time hooking it back out of her mouth so gave up!! It's going to be a slow progree with me too.

Massive (((hugs))) xxx