Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Are you finding out the sex?

We did with DS1 and I loved it....we had a gender scan at 16 weeks and it was such a fab day. We found out it was a little boy, then went on a boy related shopping spree then went for dinner with the family and told them.

For me it was like getting two surprises, the day of my gender scan and then meeting him when he was born.

I will be finding out again this time....I might wait until the 20 week scan due to finances but the closer I get to 16 weeks the more I will want to know for sure...

I am so excited this time to know if I will have a pair of cheeky brothers or a brother and sister

Eeeeek

8+5

Replies

• Options
    yeah defo, i found out with nicole at 16 weeks (but could have found out at 12, just wasn't sure) so will find out early this time but will tell no one as me and hubbie love keeping a secret when everyone was saying its going to be a...
  • Options
    I will definately be finding out again (if baby is co-operative image )

we found out with DS and it was fantastic i felt that i was able to start bonding with him from that point as i was able to give him a name image
  • Options
    We didn't find out with DS, they don't tell you at 20 week scan here, and we didn't want to find out so much that we would pay for a private scan x I must admit it drove me mad all through my pregnancy second guessing what he/she was, but am so glad that we didn't find out, the moment that OH told me that we had a son will be with me forever and can't wait for that same moment x I doesnt seem to be bothereing me as much this time round either, so hopefully it won't be such a long wait x image
  • Options
    im undecided :/ i already have on of each so kind of want a suprise as never had one before and i think it would be amazing.

practicality makes me think i should fid out as we are having to do some room rearranging for this one. i kept everything from both so shudnt really find out. oohhhhh i cant make my mind up!!!! had a gender scan at 16 weeks with my last and loved it!!!xxx
  • Options
    YES! So glad to have made the decision!

We didn't find out with DD and the surprise on the day was amazing. I am worried it will take the edge off a little on the day, esp for others, but still really want to know this time so we can sort out clothes, tell DD if she will have a bro or sis etc. Plus as I had PND last time I hope it will help to be able to bond as much as poss before hand.

OH wants to wait for 20 week scan but I am really impatient and want to go for gender scan earlier. But when we had private scan at 9+2 I asked the sonographer when was best time and she gave me a lecture about how 16 weeks was far too early and too hard to tell for sure and we would be best waiting til 18 weeks at least at which point she said it would be stupid to not wait another 2 for NHS scan. Not sure why she was so desperate to do herself out of the money of us paying for another private scan but now OH is not budging. Grrrr.

• Options
    NO! We didnt with our 1st altho i was sure it was a boy and loved the guessing all the way through. It even kept me going throughout labour as i was so desperate to know if it was a girl or a boy! As soon as she came out i was asking if it was a girl or a boy and the midwife was like "wait and il show you in a minute" arghhhh!! and i was so surprised that it was a girl. I can see why people find out, esp with no.2, but i just like the surprise too much.
  • Options
    We wont be finding out this time. We found out with Elliott at 16 weeks (mainly because I was so impatient, and desperate to knowthat I even had a emotional breakdown in mothercare as all the neutral clothes were crap and I wanted to buy something haha..was awful I was crying my eyes out throwing a strop)

But this time im going to buy some pink stuff, keep the tags on, and if I dont use it i'll return it and get something else, and we have all Elliotts stuff already if its a boy. I loved knowing first time, and the bond me I had with him before he was born was unreal, so when I first held him, it didnt feel like this was us meeting for the first time (if that makes sense) it felt like id known him all along. But id like to expericence both ways!

Besides my pregnancy seems to be flying by already (im 12 weeks) and I find it so strange that in 4 weeks time I could know..and im not ready for that, the thought of finding out so soon scares the bejesus out of me this time haha!

• Options
    PB thats what we are going to do, buy a pink outfit for coming home and then return if it bump in blue, x x
  • Options
    I'll be finding out again, with dd we waited until I was 30 weeks because we just wanted to keep it to ourselves, I think the same thing will happen this time xxx
  • Options
    My SIL was terrible, they didn't find out, so her hospital bag contained

blue outfits for boy

Pink outfits for girl

A blue nighty for her if it was a boy

A pink nighty for her if it was a girl

A blue t shirt for my brother if it was a boy

A pink t shirt for my brother if it was a girl

So they could all match Lol!
  • Options
    Eeee I'm not sure yet.

Part of me (the really impatient part!) wants to know so that I can bond and plan plan plan!

BUT... there's another part of me that kind of wants to wait for the best surprise I could ever get...

Guess it really comes down to how I feel on the day of the scan...

Also I kind of love the idea of hubbie telling me what we have had hehe.

BB xx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

We have decided not to find out. I really want my DH to tell me when its born.

There is a small part of me that wants to find out, but I think there aren't many surprises in life these days, and this would be one of the biggest, and most amazing!

Hope all the DIO ladies are really well, and cooking nicely!!. I can't believe I am 12 weeks on Monday!

Love TW xxx
  • Options
    No, we won't be finding out. We didn't with my DS and it was such a lovely feeling when he was born and we saw we had a little boy (especially as I thought I was having a girl!). I must say though I could have been easily tempted to find out at the scan, but hubby was adamant that he wanted a surprise!

Xxx
  • Options
    Hi

I dont think we will. We didnt want to with our little boy but the lady scanning me told us o I think it will be nice to have a surprise.

On the other had if I knew i was having another boy I would be able to sort out all of our LO's clothes.