Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty Training

Hello ladies,

I know they are still quite young but K is very aware of doing a poo - she ran to get her change mat after doing one yesterday so I am thinking of just putting the potty in the bathroom and talking to her about it / pointing it out for now.

I do however think she'll be ready to start very soon.

I don't want to pressure her as I want her to be 100% ready but I was wondering what your thoughts were and when you might start potty training.

K is 18 months.

Thanks

xx

Replies

• Options
    I think you have to take your child's lead. I am not even thinking about it as Sam is definitely nowhere near ready. I imagine it will be somewhere between 2 and 3.

I have a friend who has successfully potty trained her 17 month old girl with no stress so it can be done!
  • Options
    I was going to post about this tonight, as I have bought Isabelle a potty today (the funkiest potty ever!)

MIL swears she is ready and will be really easy to get potty trained, it's all she ever bangs on about, and was going to get her a potty, so I had to get in there first!

Isabelle is aware of pooing, and goes into a corner (has done for yonks) but recently has been holding her nappy as she wees, and if she is nappyless always wees in the doorway between the kitchen and lounge, or on the bathroom floor, so she must be aware of it to some degree.

We are just going to have the potty around for now, then I will put it in the bathroom in a few weeks and hopefully we can start at Easter when I am off, however, nursery worries me as they only use the toilets when they are upstairs I think, and she won't be moving rooms until September Hmmm.

Anyway, the pretty potty was a bargain from Argos!

Bets XxX
  • Options
    Luke will sit on the potty and will make a noise but does not actually do anything, will give it more of a go in the summer, we do nappy free time after dinner some nights which he loves.
  • Options
    I am in soooooooooo no rush to start potty training! I will follow LO's lead but quite happy to wait until 2 and a half to 3.

• Options
    I think we might invest in a potty soon too. Ollie is very aware of when hes done a poo. Although hes still not keen on having his nappy changed!! He always goes into a corner and if we ask him if hes had a poo he taps his tummy if he has and says no if he hasnt. He also shivers when he goes for a wee........not sure if hes fully aware of what hes doing though.

We'll just have it around the place and then take his lead. In an ideal world id like him out fo nappies once next baby is here, but i really cant see it happening that quickly xx
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

Thanks for your views. I think like Betsy, Rebecca and Era I will leave the potty around for a bit and talk to her about it - get her used to it then perhaps try in a couple of months!

Thank you!

xx
  • Options
    Yeah, if they are ready then there's no harm.

My niece was really easy to potty train at 2 and a half and they had barely any accidents BUT my sis said she actually hates it now she's potty trained and found nappies so much less hassle! Her sleep went from perfect to terrible as she now knows how to get their attention in the middle of the night - just say she's done a poo and needs her bum wiped! (most the time she hasn't but she knows they can't take the chance!) Plus my sis says car journeys are now really stressful and they have to stop all the time. She spends her whole day saying 'do you need a wee' only to be constantly be told no and then the second they are away from home she announces she does need to go!!! Hahahaha!

• Options
    we've got potty's around anyway as we trained Isaac last Sept (he was 2yrs and 11m). we followed his lead, he was not ready before this time although we had a potty around from his 1st birthday.

He was dry day and night within the month. He's now at nursery and rarely has accidents. Oz has sat on the potty and pretended for ages, he now says do wee wee and tries to pull his trousers up (even though they are already up!) I think he'll be nearer to 2 than 3, but he does have Isaac to copy!

Good luck with what ever you decide.

xxx
  • Options

You can teach her through games.I tried the method talked about potty training learning with the animals app...  Can really recommend it