Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Formula Feeders - how long do you leave milk in bottle?

Just wondering how long you would leave milk in a bottle and still feed it to your LO? I had half a bottle left from the 9am feed and took it along to the cinema mother and baby showing with me. I ended up giving it to him 1 1/2 hours after making it. Do you think that's OK?
Cheers! xx

Replies

• Options
    I think it's advised to use it within an hour, I have stretched it to 1 1/2 though. No sign of it doing anything wrong (I think it only causes a bit of an upset tummy if it's left over an hour).
  • Options
    i have used it about 2 hours after making it and wouldnt leave it any longer than that x
  • Options
    I make his water up for all night feeds and then put the powder in the divider pots you get and add as and when......

I quite happily leave a made bottle for 3 to 4 hours if like you I had gone out etc.....LO never had upset tummy. But this is only if I get caught short....if I am planning in advance I take the ready made carton things.

x

• Options
    I make up bottles the night before for the following day and put them in the refrigerator. They can stay there for 24 hours but once they are warmed you can't leave it out too long.

If I go out I put water in the bottles but keep the powered formula in sandwich bags and just add it when she's looking for a bottle.
  • Options
    I leave it for about 2 hours once mixed iv acidently given him one that was 3 1/2 hours and he was fine but i would risk it again x
  • Options
    Think it's 2 hours maximum xx
  • Options
    I leave it for 2 hours maximum.

• Options
    she nearly always drinks hers at each feed but hav left it up to an hour wud prob leave it for 2hours at the most. xxx
  • Options
    Best thing to do is sniff it and taste it if yr worried as if its gone off it will smell and taste funny. I stupidly didn't do this and tried to feed LO some formula (it was ready made carton opened 12 hrs previously but stored in fridge) Harry cried and wouldn't drink it I smelt it and it was rank. Clever Harry and stupid mummy now I smell all milk including expressed xxx
  • Options

i have a food warmer i store fomula when im going out with baby. now the question is how long do i keep it there befor i feed him, cos in about 2 hrs it becomes lukewarm