Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Did anyone pay for an early scan?

I've just booked one and am now completely petrified. I'm 8+3 and had 2 mmc's last year and my appointment with mw isn't until Thursday, so my dating scan will be weeks away and I just can't wait that long. I went all the way to 10+5 with my 1st pg thinking everything was fine, only to be told at my scan that my baby had died at 8+6. My husbands family are coming to stay with us when i'll be nearly 12 weeks and we can't risk telling them without knowing everything's ok.

Did anyone else have an early scan and if so is it really worth it? Will I see much then? (I'll be 9+4) xx

Replies

• Options
    I had early scans at 6 and 7wks, I was referred by gp because of a mmc and a mc.Baby was just a blob with a heartbeat. I also had one at 7wks with dd ( 2 next month) and she was a little prawn shape image

Its a shame you have to pay hun!!

At 9+4 you should be able to see a teeny but properly formed baby I think!
  • Options
    I paid for a private scan at 8+3 purely because I'm a worrier and it really put my mind at rest - you can actually see more that I thought you would X
  • Options
    Hi,

I think you need to do what you need to stay calm and relaxed as much as possible.

I was a weird one and felt an early scan would jinx things and I had images of a great scan result at 7-8 weeks and then losing it before 12 weeks and being gutted. I am a born worrier! I think because I knew the dating scan is when your chance of mc reduces most I felt I couldn't trust anything before. Did I say I am weird!? :lol:

But...all of the evidence is that hearing a heartbeat is such a positive sign and the reassurance women can get from these can allow you to chill more and focus on looking after yourself xx
  • Options
    After 2 mc's we decided to have 2 private scans with DD.

First at 6+6 to confirm there was a baby with hb and also that it was just one (so many twins in both mine and OH's families!) All we saw was a blob with a flutter but was worth it!

Then we had an NHS one at 8+6 (due to pains) and saw what I descibed as a 'wriggling worm'!

Then a private one at 10+3 which was amazing. Actually better than our 12 (well, 13) week NHS one! Baby was fully formed with really long legs and arms and was doing somersaults. Was fab.

This time we have booked a private one for next Sat when I will be 9+2 and hoping we see a proper baby but I'll be happy with a wriggling worm or a blob with a heartbeat!

Like you I just have to know - I'd hate to get to 12 weeks thinking all is fine and discover it's not been for weeks.

• Options
    hi, g/c, i had one at 9 weeks, could see/hear heartbeat & see four tiny little limbs moving, very precious moment, im sure all is well for you image
  • Options
    It is ridiculous having to wait 12 weeks to find out all is well or vice versa mine is this coming Friday and can say the waiting has been unpleasant anxiety provoking and still have 5 more dys of waitingimagewish had more money would have gone for a private one
  • Options
    I had one on Friday and it was amazing and worth every penny xxx
  • Options
    G/c Hiya, I had early scan at 8+5 due to previous m/c and it was purely to put mind at rest, well as much as can do, then we had private NT scan at 12 weeks and NHS one at 13+4 and I was so so happy to see bubba each time, I know you can never guarantee hun, but if you can afford it and puts for mind at rest even for day or two I think ...Go for it. We just paid to have 4d scan as well at 27 weeks and the money I have paid out is nothing to the ease I feel when I know all is ok at that time, good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi, I have had 3 so far, my 4th (12 week one) is on Wednesday. I had one at 5+1 and we only seen the sac then had one at 7+1 and seen a blob with a heartbeat image and then had one at 10+2 and could see baby kicking around. There is no way I could have gone to 12 weeks without knowing baby was ok.

I still have to get to 20 weeks though, thats when we found out our little man was ill :cry: but I am staying really positive