Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

PBB

I'm using this for "Post Birth Bleeding" as it's far quicker. Just wondering what's going on!

It was only heavy for about 2-3 days and then down to very little, just enough to wear a pad. Also was quite red (sorry for the TMI!) This was the same as with my son, OH and I were even able to dtd 11 days after birth.

Anyway, since around day 11, it's really picked up again but more like a period, sometimes quite heavy and darker. I'm breastfeeding (although topping up with formula) so pretty sure it's not a period but it does seem rather strange. I can't remember it being like this last time.

Anyone else found this?

Peanut + Flo - 2 weeks today xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey lovely. I could have written this post myself. This is what has been happening to me although we haven't DTD as of yet but only because I was losing large clots and we didn't want to make it any worse. I find the bleeding heavier if I have been doing things. When Abby was a week old I walked to my mums, which is only 2 minutes away, its in the same street. My sister phoned to say she was at my house and I rushed back, as soon as I got to my gate I could feel a clot, the bleeding was very heavy at this point and the clot was massive, so much so I called the hospital in a panic.

I am still bleeding so haven't yet had a period but I would say what is happening to you is perfectly normal. I only bled for a week after Megan was born and had a period 2 weeks later xx
  • Options
    I think its normal hun, I'm still bleeding though some days its lighter then picks up again. Its always heavier after feeding especially at night x
  • Options
    When I had DD I lost a lot of blood during the birth and bled for 6-8wks afterwards. GP advised that as long as I wasn't in any abdominal pain with the bleeding I had nothing to worry about, it was just part of the recovery process.
  • Options
    Hi,

Do you notice if it starts up or gets worse after a good feed?

Mine all but stops until I do a breastfeed and apparently this is normal - the consultant told me its where the womb is contracting and the open wound on the uterus where the placenta was which bleeds.

If you think it is generally getting worse I would see the GP or ask your MW/HV about it. Best to have peace of mind x
  • Options
    Yes i am the same had some blood clots which have been large and i am going to ask the mw today when she comes i don't remember getting them with my others.Same bleeding mines seems to of stopped but when i fed it get heavy,but i remember nearly stopping last time then it starting up again.x
  • Options
    THanks for the replies ladies. Well Flo's 3 weeks today and it's still going although not as heavy has my original post. It's DEFINITELY heavier after a feed or when I've been out doing things. I guess it must be normal.

JUst starting to feel bad on OH as I think he thought we'd be back on itimage sooner like last time. Hopefully it'll tail off soon...
  • Options
    Take it easy and give yourself time. Maybe fit in some more rest too.image
  • Options
    My midwife had said that you bleed longer with a breastfed baby and you get gushes after feeding due to the contracting of the uterus.

I'm so fed up wearing pads now, feel like I'm the one with nappy rash! Cant wait for it just to stop and will feel alot better.

cx
  • Options
    I'm still bleeding 3wks on too hun, Im expecting it to be 5wks or so!

Candimum I had a huge clot with dd1 (2nd baby) it scared the crap out of me!
  • Options
    Scary when it happens defo!The midwife did say that more you have the worse it gets aswell, Oliver is my third and the bleeding is the worst out of the other two.x