Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone having a Christening?

I always said I would never have my children Christened. OH and I are not religious at all. OH is an atheist and I am agnostic but a while after Cai had died I wished we had had him Christened/blessed. So, we have decided to have the girls Christened. We provisionally booked the reception venue today, ordered the cake and I have made up some invites to decide on. I have tried to call the vicar but no answer yet. We are looking at November 20th. xx

Replies

• Options
    Wow that's soon! You are pretty organised though Torch so I'm sure you'll be fine.

We had our son's when he was 9 months old and it was lovely. We are christians so will be doing the same for our gorgeous daughter. I can't see it happening anytime soon though, probably in the spring.

We had the reception at the golf club last time and put on a buffet. It was simple but went really well. Was also loads of snow it was so pretty!

I think it's a great idea to have a Christening hun x
  • Options
    g/c but I think it's a good idea too. A chance for you to say thank you for your children, if you see what I mean. We had our DD christened at 5 months, and had a little party at home after. It was nice to get people together to celebrate the baby, and could be so in your case too, whatever you do or don't believe.
  • Options
    I'm having Mia christened on 9th Oct when she will be 5wks 5days image I had my other 2 christened at 3wks. Not sure what we're doing after yet!
  • Options
    We prob won't be. DH is not religious in any way and I (although christened RC church) do not attend and haven't done for several years (save nieces/nephews christenings). In short I'd feel a bit of a hypocrite getting my children christened but not actually taking them to church services.
  • Options
    I will def be having my little man christened - if he ever gets round to arriving! :lol: Think we'd be looking at either Easter or next summer hols though as my family are a bit spread out and both my sisters teach so it's easier to get together in holidays.

It'll be the same vicar who married us too which i think is lovely.

Bear in mind though you don't always get to choose the date for christenings, they often do them as a job lot so you might have to be flexible!

xxx
  • Options
    Yes we will be have my other two christened so will do with Oliver,We don't go to church but i have always said i would get my children christened.x
  • Options
    not going to. neither of us are religious and we have no intention of going to church so would feel hypocrites. however if ds or dd wanted to be taken tp church when they are older then we would take them
  • Options
    G/C from August but we have decided to have a naming ceremony for our little boy. We aren't religious, i'm not christened and hubby not been to church in years so we wouldn't feel like a christening would have any meaning for us as we don't believe in it.

With a naming ceremony you can totally personalise it with music and say what ever you want about and to your child and have guide parents instead of god parents. I wasn't overly keen until I saw what my friend had written for her son's ceremony. It was truely beautiful and I thought what a lovely thing to do and completely meaningful if you're not religious xx