Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My belated BA

Hi Ladies,

Sorry haven't updated sooner but things have been mental.

Our little boy Connor was born on saturday 10th September at 1.15pm weighing 8lbs15.

It was quite a traumatic labour as I was induced with a pessary due to being diagnosed with obstetric cholestasis, went into labour very quickly and had a long early first stage. We then progressed to active first stage all of a sudden when I was 5cm and my waters just went.

Went to delivery suite and got as far as 2nd stage and pushed for a good few hours to be told the contractions were becoming irregular and I was still only 5cm.

So was put on the drip style induction and told I had to have an epidural as the contractions would be too intense to bare after the lengthy first stage and already having one induction method.

Eventually we spent 3 hours pushing and he was 1cm away from the head being at the exit but they were concerned about my energy and examined me and his head was not in the right position. So they prepped me for theatre with the idea of doing a vacum or forceps delivery but on examination in theatre they decided it was unlikely to work.

So we went to c section which was traumatic for me and I had to have the epidural removed and changed to a full spinal block as I could still feel pain. I felt them pushing him back up the birth canal which was hideous.

But he was born shortly after (35 hour labour in total!) and he's gorgeous.

Feeling very emotional as the surgery has left me knocked sideways and breast feeding isn't filling him up due to some early problems we had but I'm trying to hang in there. Just seem to be struggling with getting my own rest to produce more milk and be well enough to cope vs. he needs his milk now. So we are topping up with formula and hoping to get a good breast pump today to go with the expressing. Will try to also get a good bit of bf in there too but last night I made myself grey and ill as he'd been on and off the boob all day and still starving. image

Replies

• Options
    Congrats Tulip, i know exactly how you feel Alfie got stuck in my section.

Hang on in there with the bf and expressing , im also combination bottle feeding due to tongue tie and expressing to suit me rather than the guidelines ive been given, got advised to express for 30 mins every 2 hours aswell as trying to bottle feed and look after a baby. ive decided once my milk goes its gone and ive give him the best.

Hope your getting well looked after xxxx
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through similar.

Connor also has a mild tongue tie but I think its not too bad. My usual midwife is due round today so hoping she can advise the best route forward.

Just want to make sure I'm not killing myself and I'm ok to continue as don't want to put myself back in hospital!
  • Options
    Hi Tulip,

Congratulations on Connor. Any pics?

Try not to beat yourself up too much about the feeding and birth as you will end up making yourself ill!!! i should know i have ended up with an infected scar and mastitus!!!

I have been combination feeding too as I am not producing enough but like meandmy I am slowly formula feeding more and expressing until it dries up.

As long as Connor and mummy are happy that is what counts.

Chin up

SB x
  • Options
    Congratulations Tulip! I love the name Connor, bet he's just gorgeous!

I'm so sorry that you went through such a traumatic birth. Remember, when you're ready, you have the right to be talked through it with a senior midwife... may help you come to terms with what happened.

Re: feeding. You have done so well to give bf a go after a section, many don't. You have also given him the best start. I have had issues with supply with both my children now and am currently topping Flo up with formula after we were readmitted to hospital and she was losing too much weight and dehydrated. It is a very emotional time and you're spot on, you need to be resting in order to feed properly and heal after your section. Whatever works out best for you and your family is the way forward.

Looking forward to seeing you over in BIS, you have been missed xxx
  • Options
    Hay Tulip sorry i couldn't do you ba,Really sorry your birth wasn't as planned.Breast feeding is hard and at least you have tried it which is the main thing.x
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.

Well my midwife visited yesterday and instead of expressing we decided to carry on bf and limit to one hour at a time and if he is still hungry then we will top up with formula.

As it happens he is now taking more from me, getting the latch right almost first time everytime and is tending to go down between feeds for between 1 - 3 hours depending on time of day.

We also split the night between me and hubby now to make sure we both get some decent rest. Seemed to help. Just working on sleeping more in the day now and trying not to pander to his requests for feeding instantly but to let him get a bit more awake, hungrier and a little uncomfy so he doesn't just get on and fall asleep! Been told to try nappy change half way through, swapping boobs, blowing on him, tickling him, rubbing his head etc. Seems to help but he is quite lethargic at times!

Generally feel like we're making progress at last and my milk supply seems just fine amazingly. Midwife believes we are just delayed in getting started so its as though we are 2-3 days behind.
  • Options
    Hay thats how i have been with Oliver but he didn't want feeding for 6 hours even with trying every hour.But now he seems to be feeding more as the midwife helped me latch him on better as he wasn't right :roll: I fed all mine in that way but i suppose all babies are different.Glad you are finding it better now.x