Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Routine

Hi Ladies,

Had my little boy on 17th Sept (due date was 10th Sept) but never even found time to post my BA! Anyway, as I've been away from the forum (glad to be back!) forgive me if I'm repeating a post but just wondered if you had a routine yet?

I wanted to follow the baby whisperer EASY routine but my little one has his own ideas - have to feed when he wants it as he goes mental (think v.red and screaming)...he likes to eat, have a bit of activity and then eat again..

He has very definite ideas about the way he wants to do things so EASY is anything but easy!!

Just wanted to know how you were all doing routine-wise X

Replies

• Options
    Hannah is the same age as your little one (oddly enough same due date/same birthdate) but it's definitely too early for a routine with her. The only routine I have at present is when we go to bed and when we get up, the rest of the day she is fed when she asks and put down when she falls asleep (so I can entertain her big sis). Another 3wks or so and we may start seeing more of a routine on when we feed, how long for and how long we nap inbetween.
  • Options
    Ryan was born on the 16th and is same as KazzieM, he's pretty good overnight, we have last feed 10-11ish, he wakes once maybe 2-3ish then again 6-7ish. However in the day he eats and sleeps randomly at the moment, needing more frequent feeds during the day, and has lots of awake time.

All the health professionals have told me not to bother with a routine yet as it's way too early, and that's without me even asking them!

I'm just happy to enjoy him and follow his lead at the moment.

xxx
  • Options
    Oliver is 6 weeks and just setting his own routine of feeding every four hours. I tried to start one but decided to just go with what he needs/wants as he is still young

SB x
  • Options
    Mia is also 6wks and she really put herself into an evening routine lol. She feeds at 6, I bath her around 7.30, she is fed again at 8 ( cluster feeds!) and goes down to sleep, if she doesnt fall asleep on the boob I put her in her basket in the living room and she settles herself over. I lift her between 10 and 10.30 for a dreamfeed and on a good night she can go until 5am, feed then back down until 8.30am, but we have some nights where she is up for feeds at 3am, 6am and 8.

During the day very loosely she feeds 3hourly but it can be more often especially in a growth spurt. She doesnt really follow a pattern for sleeping yet her awake time can change especially as I have 2 other kids so it can be dictated by things like going to collect dd from playgroup or taking ds to gymnastics. I think in another month or so we might see more of a pattern but for now we're going with the flow image
  • Options
    Hi,

Connor is now 4 weeks old and all the advice I've been given and also what I've read in my 2 baby books is that a natural routine will appear in its own time.

I'm just feeding him on demand but being conscious that he doesn't use me as a dummy. Each feed I try to wind him for 5-10 minutes when he comes off one side, then I change his nappy which wakes him enough to go for the second side if necessary.

Then I wind him again and put him down or play/tummy time if he's awake. He's becoming more alert late morning and early evenings now.

I think the first thing they learn is the difference between night and day so the best way to encourage this is to have low lighting, soft voices and minimal stimulation for the last feed before bed. One of my books says to look out to see if there is a natural time of night when the baby settles into a deeper, milk-satisfied sleep and if you get this 4 nights in a row then this will be your starting bedtime. You can then just make sure you keep up the quiet feed or add in a quiet story, change into pjs and bath or whatever you feel you want to.

Connor now ranges between 2-4 hours for a feed in the day and he has been sleeping for around 5 hours between midnight and 5am for about a week now. (Approximately 6 hours between the start of those feeds).

We are currently going with the flow as Connor is a hungry boy and having regular 'calorie days' as my midwife calls them where he basically feeds every hour! Cue a very tired and dehydrated Mummy! But because I know about these now I don't panic or get upset/worry.

I can't believe he now weighs over 11lbs! image