Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Health Visitor

Well other than the great news that my beautiful little girl has successfully gained half a pound every week since her birth, I am starting to get a tad annoyed with my health visitor. For one her reactions with Samantha are completely different from all the midwives (can only assume she has no children of her own as she snatches everything she doesn't want my daughter touching away from her), secondly I'm wondering why she's making so many home visits this time around? With Samantha it was one home visit and then baby clinic, so far with Hannah she's been to us twice and has just diaryed another visit at the start of november? I wouldn't mind but I still need to go to clinic to get Samantha weighed as the scales she brings to our house for Hannah aren't suitable for weighing her too. It just seems a tad over the top to me.

Replies

• Options
    our health visitor has been to the house twice and is coming again next week. she brings scales that will weigh william as well and is good with william and megan. she is a bit hippyish but is completely harmless! image
  • Options
    What does she do during the visit ?, my hv has only been once and said she dosnt need to come again, which i was shocked about.
  • Options
    Mine came once - gave me loads of leaflets, told me a few things that frankly at day 9 if I didn't know then jeez.. So all in all no great help and not expecting to see her again.
  • Options
    she weighed both of them and just had a general chat
  • Options
    Hi,

I suppose the criteria that dictate the number of visits probably depends on the midwife and the area you live in?

Mine has been once but sent a nursery nurse to weigh Connor another time. She didn't tell me anything but let me just ask questions about anything I was concerned about.

As I have a history of depression, no family nearby and had a traumatic birth she told me tactfully that there is an increased risk of PND so they will see me a bit more often and if I don't need it then its just an opportunity to ask more questions. But she also said that because I'd had depression before it meant in some ways that me and my husband already have thos lines of communication open and I would recognise the signs and do something sooner.

I think part of it is also because I had a caesarean and can't yet get to clinic.

Its early days but I think we'll get on ok; its just difficult at first when you don't know them and you've built a raport with your midwife but can no longer talk to them.

I hope your midwife eases up kazzie or if not that you don't have to see her so regularly.
  • Options
    Hay mine has been out once and will come out when Oliver is 7 weeks but she told me she will come out more if i want her to as i have had pnd with both my other children so she is worried i will get it again,Have been told to phone her if i get down at all.x
  • Options
    My hv is lovely. She's been twice now and coming again in a couple of weeks. We have weight issues with Ryan as he's still not regained his birth weight so she says she will be coming until he does - nearly there though!

I didn't have much of a rapport with a midwife as didn't see the same one very often!

xxx
  • Options
    The only thing mine has done so far is shove a leaflet about family planning in my hand on her first visit, weigh Hannah and snatch things away from Samantha (something I've been trying to teach Samantha not to do with other children, lesson ruined).
  • Options
    Can you not make an excuse and cancel the visit she has planned and say you will discuss things with her at the clinic when you take hannah and samantha.