Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How is everybody coping?

Hi,

I just wondered how everyone is doing?

I know for us its been a huge change to our usual routine and there are still moments where we feel we're not coping even though these are getting fewer but it seems that feeling where you question what you are doing is a mark of parenthood!

Even though you get more used to your new life and have some lovely moments its still a massive change so just wondered how you're all finding it and whether you have found particular things which have made the transition easier.

One of the best things for me has been to have nct friends come visit. Because I couldn't drive this was a lifesaver and helped us all realise our babies all do the same weird things and we can share tips for feeding and other issues.

Perhaps the 2nd timers can reassure us that whilst its mental coping with 2 or more that at least its not such a big change second time round because to some extent you've already made a lot of the big changed with your first????

Love to all x

Replies

• Options
    Hey TR. Glad you and your little guy are doing well. It definitely helps having people around who also have LOs (that's why this site is so fab). It's great to reassure and fret together!

I have two under 18 months and Oh. My. God...I feel like I don't even know what day of the week it is (it's Friday, right? image ). I know what you mean with the big changes with your first. YOur priorities just change massively overnight, don't though? Having the second means you don't have that - you have already made the big changes, whether it financially, career wise or socially. I think having the second is easier in some respects like I know realise how many things I tried with DD re sleeping and feeding and I approach how I deal with DS ina bit more of a 'tried and tested' way iyswim. Also, we never really came out of the sleepless nights and nappy phases so one more in the mix doesn't seem to make too much difference. In other ways though, I am finding it so, so hard. DD is struggling with not having my one on one attention and I feel bad that DS gets put in his bouncer, swing much more than DD did as I need to do it to be able to feed her. Also, they seem to be in sync when they cry so I get it in stereo a lot of the time!

The main thing I have learned about parenthood so far is that you will ALWAYS feel guilty about something (sometimes everything!). Once you accept that, things get a bit easier!
  • Options
    Hi ladies, sounds like you're both doing a great job.

I definitely agree about always feeling guilty about something!

The little man has changed our lives massively. We live in central London and don't have friends with children so things sure are different now! I think we're coping quite well but it is full on - and friends don't seem to get it when I don't text back or I don't have time to have a gossip on the phone. One friend even heard him screaming in the background and said "do you need to get off the phone?". They have no idea!!!

I think at the moment it all still feels new and we need to get in more of a routine as a family. Although not sure how to find time to actually make dinner though!!
  • Options
    I am loving having my little boy here. He is so good, we are really lucky as he only gets us up once in the night (although that's with going to bed late and getting up early), and he doesn't have much grumpy time really.

However, i do feel my confidence has had a bit of a knock. If i'm out and about with hubby it's fine but even just walking round the block with Ryan in the pram by myself i just feel really nervous.

Really proud of myself today as i drove into town, and then we had a good hour wandering round getting little jobs done. He was asleep the whole time which helped! I joined the children's centre so we will be going there on thursday to the breast feeding cafe, as i've still not fed in public - or even in front of family, so that's the next hurdle for me. I also want to go to their under ones group as i don't know many people with babies and would really like to!

A big problem i have is getting house stuff done. Have to wait til hubby gets home a lot of the time, and then i sometimes feel like i'm leaning on him too much expecting him to watch the baby while i wash up etc, when he's already been at work all day. He does love it though, he's a really good dad - although he's still not changed a nappy! :lol: xxx
  • Options
    Hi all,

Oliver is now 7 weeks and I feel like I finally am getting a grip of it all. Oliver and I have the occasional bad day where he won't let me put him down so i get the sling out but generally he is really good and I couldn't imagine what life was like without him.

My confidence in going out and about is growing more and more and I have been out a couple of times without him and left him with dad which I can highly recommend although it feels very strange!!!

tiger - as time goes on I have started to get more and more chores done although it tends to be little bursts. e.g. a small amount of ironing.

brunette - dinner is all in the timing and still I have to abandon it sometimes because little one is crying.

All worth it though when they give you that first proper smile image

SB x
  • Options
    It's all fun & games in our house. I feel like the second Hannah starts crying or wants feeding is the second Samantha decides she needs a hug too. I'm having to juggle between them, occasionally letting one cry (and feeling very guilty) whilst tending to the other, and find a bit of me time mornings and evenings too. To an extent your right in that I know how to do everything this time around but it's the fun of having a toddler 'helping' that makes it challenging.
  • Options
    Hay glad you are getting on well.I am ok think the sleepless night are starting to catch up or i am coming down with something as feel really tired and drained today.I am coping better with three than with less tho strangely.I think going from 0 to 1 children is the hardest, then when you have more you just have to be more orgainised.I would say getting alot done in the way of housework is harder but my dd and ds are better at tidying there rooms up so is helps me out.x