Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

cooled boiled water

Hi i have been giving Alfie 2oz of cool boiled water, i make the bottle in the morning and keep it at room temp, for the day.

Do you think its safe to keep it for the day or should i treat it like formula, 2 hours max?

Replies

• Options
    Whenever I give my little man water I usually end up chucking it quite quickly but I don't think we'd have to follow the 2 hour rule as it's just water. I was giving him some water when the weather was hot but a friend told me I shouldn't give it now as there's no need. I like to ensure he's hydrated but now I'm confused...
  • Options
    Ive been told by my mum, hv and consultant to give Alfie water, hes so dry mouthed in the morning, i normally give him water when he first wakes up. Its also to help his bowels aswell
  • Options
    It makes sense to me but after my friends comment I was doubting myself. Thanks for your response - I thought it was helping him poo too so I'm glad you said that. Maybe I should trust my instincts more!
  • Options
    My understanding is that we throw the formula because the mix consistency wears down after so many hours which can upset LO's tummy as they will get hardly anything to begin with and big globs at the end. Water should be ok if you've preboiled it, though personally I would still throw it away after 3-4hrs (I just like it to be as fresh as poss).
  • Options
    I boild the water for all my bottles in the morning and then put in the fridge my HV and midwife says that is ok i just add the powder and heat it up when I need it. Alex seams to be fine and its realy handy at night as i just blast the water in the microwave for 30 sec.

xx