Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding

Would really like your advice on feeding. I give my baby 150ml of aptamil..he seems to be in the habit of sometimes taking it all but mostly having about 80ml, having a snooze, I eventually wake him then he'll refuse to take more. Then about an hour later is hungry again.

It means he has no routine and is always feeding. He eats every 2 hours on average often with the snacking in-between - leaving me no time! Shouldn't he have 150ml then go longer in-between feeds? I'm not sure how to achieve this.

When husband feeds him (who is stricter than me) he seems to eat the full 150ml usually!!

Replies

• Options
    It's still early days so try and be a bit patient with LO. It may help to sit him in a chair/swing and rub his feet whilst he has his bottle. It's thought feet rubbing encourages them to wake so should help teach staying awake whilst feeding. If you can get a good amount to fill their tummy it can help them sleep (unless you have a toddler around to help wake them again).
  • Options
    You could try giving him the bottle, and then if/when he starts to fall asleep change his nappy and take off a layer of clothing to wake him up a bit, before offering more...

It might not work but that is what we used to do when I worked in the neonatal unit with teeny babies who tired out easily! xx
  • Options
    i used to have this problem, so i change him in the middle of a feed. Alfie always nods off half way if he has wind.
  • Options
    same as others Brunette, i change him mid feed to wake him back up so that he finishes the feed. This has worked well as originally he fell asleep during his feed.

Another trick i was told was to undress them so that they are uncomfortable but i have never bothered with this one.

SB x