Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Sept 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeding help needed

hey,

DS is now 17+5weeks now and he has never been a great drinker. At 8weeks(drinking only 3-4oz at a push) he started to loose weight and he droped a centile(sp), my HV is useless and never give me a straight answer or helped me with his feeding, so i went to my GP and he suggested that i give my LO baby rice as i have tried everything else (feeding from a cup & syringe feeding) this is working but he said not to tell HV, he said it would do him no harm.

He gets his rice made up from the remaining milk he dosnt want to drink, he loves getting the rice by spoon and he sometimes gets upset when he has finished. He is now gaining weight and I told my HV that he is just drinking more(Lie).

So here is the question, do i start introducing 'flavours' carrott and parsnip ect as he is more than happy on the rice and i kinda scared that he might be getting too happy on it?(he is now drinking 5oz bottles and getting the remainders made up as rice)

Replies

• Options
    I would say that you are fine to start introducing different flavours. I am in the same situation, my DD is rubbish at feeding, has no pattern and drinks anything from 1oz-6oz depending on her mood!! She has dropped down on her growth chart too. She has been waking anything from one to three times a night too.

She is 16 weeks tomorrow and two days ago we started introducing some food. I am also giving her hungry baby milk at her last feed in the evening to see if that makes her go through. I phoned the HV today in tears and she agreed with what I was doing.I know that the rules say 17 weeks at the earliest but I think that you just have to go with what feels right for you and your baby xx
  • Options
    There is no harm introducing solids at 4mths, you can find suitable baby jars, rusks, purees. Samantha loved her rusks & purees at 4mths old, Hannah will be starting 17th Jan once she is 4mths old. Don't be afraid to tell HV either, they're there to advise you but you are also able to follow your own instinct, it's you that lives with LO 24/7.
  • Options
    Thanks all. HV coming on the 10th to weigh him again. Tho I think its a diff HV. So if she is nice ill tell her lol image last time the HV(usual one) came over she left me in tears because she was basicly saying its my fault that he wont drink and he is loosing weight. Dosnt help with the PND!