Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hi I'm new - anyone out there 40 (or thereabouts) and tcc?

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now. I'm 40 and my oh and myself have decided we want to try for a baby. We both have children from previous relationships. Although my youngest is now 20 yrs! So this is quite a scary time. We've only just started tcc, so who knows how long its going to take?!
Anyway just wanted to introduce myself. I've learnt loads from this forum already and you all seem really nice and friendly.
I do feel really old now though and I know time is not on my side.It would just be nice to know if anyone else out there is a similar age to me and tcc.

Thanks for reading this post,

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Penguin66!
    Welcome to the boards! Good luck trying ttc - and lots of baby dust your way!
    I'm in my first month of ttc! I came off the pill in march had withdrawal bleed 6 weeks after then decided one more period before we would start trying! Then I waited 21 weeks for my first 'real' period! And that was 18 days ago!
    I'm on day 18 today I used ov sticks from day 12 to day 17 and no joy!!! So not sure if missed it or it hasn't happened yet as I have no idea how long my cycle is!!!!

But thats enough about me - everyone here is lovely and I hope you get you BFP (big fat positive) soon!!

Take Care hun!

Love

M

XXXX
  • Options
    hey
    am emma and am in month 2 ttc, only in my 20's am afraid!
    but good luck to you and cant wait to chat more, just have fun and you'll get your bfp in no time, hopefully.
    baby dust to you
    xx
  • Options
    hi welcome to the mad world of ttc lol im 31 and ttc for my first baby never thought it would be this hard how naive was i im on month 4 of ttc.

hope you get your bfp soon and never be afraid to ask anyquestions you want to everyone is really nice and helpful on here

good luck hun xxx
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies girls. I had my coil (not the hormone type) removed half way through last month, so although we were trying I didn't really know when or if I had ov'd. I was very lucky that my cycle seems to have returned to normal straight away though, so sorry for anyone who's hasn't. Only on day 5 this month but have started charting and going to use ov tests as I figure I'm going to need all the help I can get!

Look forward to chatting to you all & good luck to everyone xx
  • Options
    I'm 37 and trying for my first plus trying not to worry about my age being a problem. Only been off the pill for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    I'm 37 and trying for my first plus trying not to worry about my age being a problem. Only been off the pill for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    hi i was 40 in may this year and have been ttc for about 6 months at the minute im waiting for af im on day 40 now but have been gettin bfn on pg tests so i guess shes on her way this will be my 3rd but my partners first my eldest is also 20 and youngest will be 17 in feb ,
    so i no exactly wat you mean about it being scary, if it ever happens that is im begining to doubt it at the minute really thought we had done it this month but tests say different anyway good luck to you and if youd like to chat on msn anytime let me no
    sometimes i feel really old at 40 lol
  • Options
    Hi lane,

Thanks for your reply. I feel like I'm already getting paranoid about it. Don't know what I'll be like after 6 mths tcc. You might still get a bfp, when was your af due?. It would be good to chat on msn, my address is a_penguin66@hotmail.com, feel free to add me on. That goes for anyone else as well.

• Options
    Hi Penguin
    Well, wait for it, i am 46 and ttc my 2nd. My son has just turned 11. My partner has no children so i am trying my best to give him one (baby that is although the other helps! lol) I fell pg last year aged 45 so it appears i still can do it. Sadly lost the baby last October and nothing since although blood tests and ov tests have shown i am still ovulating.
    Good luck and by my standards, you are definitely not old!!!!!
    lots of love, bluebird xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Bluebird,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I knew everything about having a baby until I started coming on here! Seems to be sooooo complicated since my last time 20 yrs ago!!!
    Have you been temp charting or anything?
    All the best of luck to you & fingers crossed you get good news soon.

• Options
    Hi again Penguin. Its such a lottery this ttc lark isnt it? Wish my numbers would come up though!!!!! I havent done any temperature charting but i have been using ovulation sticks (clearblue digital ones). This month i didnt get a hit but the three months before i did so i am hoping that its just a month where i havent ovulated this month rather than anything more sinister. I know that i must be bordering starting (if i havent already) the menopause now and that bothers me a bit but like my oh says, if it happens it happens and if it doesnt, it doesnt! Are you doing anything in particular to keep track of things?
    Thanks for your kind wishes, good luck to you too and keep us posted on how you are getting on.
    lots of love, bluebird xxxx
  • Options
    You know what - this morning driving to work it suddenly struck me 'my god, I am almost 40'. In 2 and a half years I will be twice the age my mum was when she had me and yet I am only just rtying for my first. I don't feel like I thought I would feel at this age, I feel young and I feel now is the right time to have children. So strange.
  • Options
    Hi Bluebird,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I started off thinking that if it happens it happens, but that was only two months ago when we decided to try and now I'm becoming obsessed! This is my first proper month of trying and I've started taking my temperature and I'm going to try ov sticks starting this sunday. Just think I need all the help I can get and because I have a cycle from 28 to 35 days it will at least give me some idea of whats happening when! Plus oh is older than me - nearly 50 so don't think he'd manage every other day for the whole month! bless him.

xx
  • Options
    Hi - this is my first tim on here...I'm 37 and in my 3rd month ttc, on day 24 and trying not to read more into things I'm feeling, just in case they are only AF signs! any help or advise to stop me going mad would be great.....!
  • Options
    Hi - this is my first tim on here...I'm 37 and in my 3rd month ttc, on day 24 and trying not to read more into things I'm feeling, just in case they are only AF signs! any help or advise to stop me going mad would be great.....!

You're the same age as me image is it your first? Spoke to a good friend the other day who is my age and has 3 kids, the third one was born when she was 34. She says almost all her friends who are our age are pregnant with their first.

My advice is don't get too obsessed about it too soon. It's not unusual not to get pregnant immediately so give it a few months of trying before you start to worry. Pregnancy symptoms can feel the same as the ones you get when your period is due.

I have tested once this month because I had unexpected bleeding and pain and was seriously worried they might be ectopic pregnancy symptoms but it was negative so I am not going to test again or even buy a test until I am overdue. If my period comes so be it, I'll just keep on trying. I'm trying to adopt the 'if it's meant to be then it's meant to be' approach for now.

The only irritating thing is other people (Friends and family) who know I would like a family and who keep asking if there's any news image
  • Options
    Hi Beanz - yes this is my first! the first month ttc, I had 6 tests ready and waiting....I'm forcing myself to not buy any until AF is late, but it remains to be seen how that works! I keep being asked too - I feel like saying "don't you think I would have told you?" but I try to keep calm and just say that we're enjoying the practiceimage

good luck with your test........babydust to all xx
  • Options
    Hi Penguin, I'm nearly 34, have a 17yr old and a 8 month baby. Just had a mmc so will be ttc again as soon as able. Good luck xxxxxxxx