Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

should I try ttc now or wait 5 months?

hi girls, new to this site but really enjoyed reading all 31 replies to my introduction hello type message!
I haven't started to ttc yet as I am getting married in May, just me and my OH abroad. I'm desperate to ttc and am considering stopping the pill soon if OH agrees. Trouble is I want to start trying now but my Mum thinks this is a bad idea with going abroad in May....she thinks pregnant ladies need to stay close to home!! :lol:
Maybe she right as I don't know anyone who has been on holiday abroad whilst expecting.
I have just started a new job too, have a probationary period and this is my concern really. What if it happened before I had completed the probationary:\? I would be scared I'd loose my job.
It's alot of it's and buts....:lol: just could do with some advice. My hormones are raging and when I read how long some of you have been trying then I think....omg I need to start ttc now!! OH easy to talk too but says it's my choice. Any advice welcome, should I wait or try now xxxx:\?

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

just read your post and wanted to say - they cant judge u on your probationary period because you got pregnant. Firstly it would leave them wide open for a tribunal. And dont forget , you dont legally have to tell them straight away.

I dont know if this is the case for all companies, but where i work you dont have to tell them until 20wks, when you hand you MatB1 form over to arrange maternity.

I know most poeple do tell after the 3 wk scan though.

As for the rest - you just have to do whats right for you.
    Good luck xx
  • Options
    hi lizbit
    its like you said there are so many ifs and buts that there's probably never a right time to have a baby it will just happen when it happens.
    you need to make the decision yourself and not listen to others who could put you off forever.
    good luck in what you decide and congrats on the wedding xx
  • Options
    Hi lizbit. I'm new on here and I think you have lots of rights when it comes to work and pregnancy. I am in a similar position as I have started a new job and am also in a 6 month probationary period. However, I am not going to let that stop me as it could take along time for it to happen. Best off luck, do what is best for you and your oh. I am getting married end of May but want to start ttc before that. x
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

You sound just like me pinkpig and lizbit. I get married at the end of march but really craving to start ttc now.

I really don't know what to do for the best. I'm 31 this year and it just worrys me how long it will take to conceive. After reading lots of posts it makes me realise its not just a case of unprotected sex!

Have you both decided whether you're ttc before you wed? Would love to know what you decide!

xx
  • Options
    Hi lixiedixie, it's pinkpig here. Seems like we three are all in the same boat hey! I'm also 31 and am going to speak to OH and say we should just leave it to the gods between now and May. I have days when I think yeah lets just do it and then other days I think should just get married first. What are you thinking of doing lixiedixie? Glad I have met someone in same shoes!! hugs hun x
  • Options
    Hey lizbit, congrats on your forthcoming wedding.

I don't have any advice re your probationary period at work or whether you should be pregnant whilst abroad, but as far as ttc goes my advice would be to stop taking your pill asap and continue to use non-hormonal contraception until you're ready to start trying, be that after the wedding or before. I say this because five months on from stopping my pill, my periods are really messed up (long, irregular cycles) and ttc, already a tricky business, is like shooting whilst blindfolded as I have no idea when we should be babydancing, or if I'm even ovulating! There are lots of girls here in a similar position.
  • Options
    hey,
    this is my opinion, but remeber only you can decide. I would stop the pill in 1 month and use condoms then this gives ur body time to re-start and come honey moon or month before start ttc. then ur preparing so your gettin somewhere and you wont be far along come wedding day.

I wouldnt worry about your job you can always not tell them, plus like someone else said, it's not legal to sack u coz ur pg!!

good luck in what u decide.